Ways to protect an M6

cartierbresson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just got a spanking new M6. It's in such beautiful condition that I don't feel like touching it without gloves. What are some ways in which I can protect it? 

• What's a good case for it?
  • Is there after-market warranty I can purchase?
  • Sounds crazy, but can I wrap the thing in a protective skin of some kind?
Edited by cartierbresson

• Sounds crazy, but can I wrap the thing in a protective skin of some kind?

Yes. See it here. It is an almost invisible skin that can be applied to the metal parts of the camera. It comes with good visual application instructions. Being rather a klutz, I found it tricky to apply, but it is on my black M9 and is not noticeable except for one part that I messed up, and as a result that little unprotected section now  shows brass.

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

Yes. See it here. It is an almost invisible skin that can be applied to the metal parts of the camera. It comes with good visual application instructions. Being rather a klutz, I found it tricky to apply, but it is on my black M9 and is not noticeable except for one part that I messed up, and as a result that little unprotected section now  shows brass.

Oh, nice! Thanks pico!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Leica M6 is one of the cameras I would definitely NOT use a half case on.

This is me being rather paranoid but under less ideal condition half cases tend to trap moisture which in return might aid the zinc alloy based Leica M6 body to develop the infamous zinc bubble corrosion.

My advice would be to leave the camera as it is and just treat it carefully. Use a small bag to carry it in if not in use (or get a small, well fitting camera bag insert to drop into your preferred bag/tote/rucksack).

I have seen many protective skins that can be applied which unfortunately do only protect large surfaces, not though the edges of the camera from wear.

The edges are in fact the very first areas of the camera which will show wear.

If you have a silver chrome sample, I would not worry much about usage marks if treated properly - these silver chrome Leica finishes tend to be really, really tough and slow wearing (if not deliberately scratched or dinged).

Do not use key split-rings to attach the shoulder strap - these will rub on the camera's body and will leave marks.

Enjoy the camera!

• Like 1

CB,  Congratulations for your new acquisition and welcome to film's club. :)

also welcome to LF !

I am very careful and I do not like scratches on the camera . The camera leaves my bag just the time to take the photo and return 

after in my  Billingham bag.
For this reason, no strap where the metal part can scratch the side of the camera and can also scratch when put in the bag.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

In addition, as said Dirk, the case can accumulate humidity , especially in hot countries , source of fungus or moistures.

I use a Leica handy grip (see photo) very practical  especially when you mount a tele lens like the 90 or 135 mm.

For the guarantee if purchased in Leica center in principle you can have a guarantee (6 months to 1 year)

Wiping a camera with a soft cotton cloth or antistatic microfiber cloth like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Kinetronics-Anti-static-Microfiber-Cloth-10x18-Inch/dp/B00009R7VT

Enjoy the camera :)

Best

Henry

PS: Don't forget to post your pictures in film thread. You are welcome !

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/205842-i-like-filmopen-thread/page-257

Thanks in advance for sharing  :)

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 1

Camera bag for dings.   In and out will wear the corners/edges so a soft cloth bag with protect.  Chives Regal is perfect.    Sew one up from an old sweat shirt.   New Finish polymer finish for cars will protect against acid oil on your hands.  Reapply as required.   It is very tough stuff.  

MMM waterproof tape was my favorite.   Product gone.   I covered paint defects on an old car and it stuck well for 5 years until Car Crusher came for it.  Buy the clear.  There seems to be a substitute called hatch tape for boats.  Never tried it. 

Cell phone protective cover for high wear areas and plastic screens.

Wear gloves and you will drop it 4 sure. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was like this when I got my first M6. I ended up barely using it for years because I didn't want to spoil the mint condition. Staying in a bag or in a shelve is not what a camera is made for. So I sold it and got a fresh M7, which I took everywhere I went and it's started to show wear, which is something great and it really connects you to your camera.

I understand the beauty of a unused camera, but take it out without caring so much about that condition, rather use it and be proud about leaving your mark on it. It feels great.