New: LEICA SUMMILUX-M 28 mm f/1.4 ASPH.

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

28cron is great lens, but i love 28lux more

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9

Am I the only one who thinks the bokeh of 28 Lux is strange? I am having a hard time choosing between the 28 Lux and the new 28 Cron and the only reason keeping me from getting the 28 Lux is the bokeh... the rendering just seems not smooth enough and transition looks a bit stiff in the bokeh which make me feel a bit dizzy... Am I the only one who feels that way cos it seems that a lot people are saying good things about the bokeh?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I found the bokeh of the SL 28 very good for a wide angle lens, better than the bokeh of the SL 35mm FLE. But I traded in the SL 28 for a new SC 28mm because the SL was too big for me. I like the sharpness and the bokeh of the SC 28mm too.

Could you describe the difference in rendering between the two lenses please.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you compare a 35mm lens with a 28mm lens you will certainly notice that you get more blurred images with the longer focal length. A SL 35mm can isolate the motive better from the background than a SL 28mm can. But there is not only a quantity of bokeh (how much blurred the image will be) but also a quality of bokeh. I have never done a side by side comparation with these to lenses. But judging from what I  could do with them it seems to me that the SL 28 delivers a smoother transition from sharpness to blur. Even highlights in bokeh seem to be more pleasant with the 28mm. With the 35mm they can become a little harsh. But this is an unscientific vote. Maybe I just like 28mm more than 35mm as focal length. Separation from the background is not so obtrusive, but you still can set a clear focus on the part of the image you want to emphasize. I like blurred backgrounds more when I use longer focal lengths. Then they get really blurred and are not as nervous as with 35mm.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Am I the only one who thinks the bokeh of 28 Lux is strange? I am having a hard time choosing between the 28 Lux and the new 28 Cron and the only reason keeping me from getting the 28 Lux is the bokeh... the rendering just seems not smooth enough and transition looks a bit stiff in the bokeh which make me feel a bit dizzy... Am I the only one who feels that way cos it seems that a lot people are saying good things about the bokeh?

I also had a look at the Summilux 28. As it is WA I do not expect too much from bokeh. It is ok. but not of special quality, so no reason for me to choose a 1.4 . Additionally I find it terribly big - I would prefer the Summicron which is very compact.

Conclusion for me: The modern cameras offer much higher ISOs with high IQ than earlier generations (I have a SL and a M246), so I decided to stick with my "old" Elmarit-M 28 from the year 2000 (pre-asph), as I have no problem with missing light. The larger aperture of the Summilux was too small a difference to pay the high price. The IQ of my "old" lens is still good enough.   ;)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

this one is SOOC

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Gentle bokeh for a WA lens. SL+28Lux at f/1.4.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Dear all, 

I’d like to share some experience with the Lux 28 i have for 8 weeks now. I had the previous Cron 28 - I felt was an excellent lens, but whenever I wanted to have some bokeh, limits were quickly reached.

As I always start thinking from 50mm up and down, to me the distance 50-35mm is too small. Now I’ve got an exciting option. Whenever I’d like to carry as little equipment as possible, with Lux 28 plus Apo 50 and / or Nocti with belt holster I have both high sharpness and bokeh.

The following examples are Lux 28 on Leica SL, part of them with format restriction, but without other crop - processing is sometimes extreme. I just want to show options with the lens. Everything at full aperture. 

Examples 1 - 1.4, AWB: wine tasting with group in very dark light, lens change not recommended. Unfortunately I’m not allowed to show people. The writing on the glass I was not able to manage sharper in the dark. But that probably was my own problem.

Examples 2: a walk in the park. To my own surprise, I never changed the lens, which was probably also due to my emerging calmness there.

Example 3: Portrait with bokeh. Mid tone contrast reduced.

Example 4 - big bear - shows the limits in the Crop: coma at the edges but only with open aperture - here 1.4 / 8 sec. More than 10 sec. would become difficult without tracking.

Example 5: Limit of bokeh but still ...

My conclusion:

Those who’d like to act almost fully equipped for smaller events and walks etc. I can highly recommend a small combo of 50 plus Lux 28. This lens is a real all-rounder of highest quality for larger landscapes, panoramas Stitches as well as for even some portraits. Indeed - something like that Leica probably also has been thinking in development of the Q with 28 instead of 35…

Best regards

lik

• Like 2

next...

• Like 3

• Like 3

2 next

• Like 3

3- Portrait

• Like 9

4 - stars

• Like 3

crop

• Like 2

5 - Street

• Like 4