New: LEICA SUMMILUX-M 28 mm f/1.4 ASPH.

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have to ask: why shoot stars? What's the interest? What does it prove? Who shoots stars and why? Genuine questions

Well, wide-field astrophotography is another discipline in photography, just like portrait or landscape. There is no need to prove anything, just another brush for the canvas.

• Like 3

The Summicron 28 is such a good lens! You will not need a Summilux 28mm, if you own a Summilux 35 and like to shoot with it. If you don't have a Summilux at all and really like 28mm as a focal length, then the Summilux 28 is the one to buy. It really is superb. It is not as good as the Apo-Summicron 50, though. Whilst both lenses are almost equally sharp, the Apo 50 has no distortion and no CA.

• Haha 1

John,

Yep, we agree on all of this.  I love the size of the M.  Although, I agree, the weight is over the top.  

The size of my 28 and 35 Summicron are ideal, for me.  But the weight and size of the corresponding Summilux lenses, like my 35 Summilux is borderline, for me.  

Love the image quality of my Summilux lenses. I imagine they are even better on the SL.  The new 28 Summilux must be fantastic on the SL.

I've tried the SL and it is fantastic.  But, in the end, I just want to carry a decent, small camera and lenses.  I actually don't care so much if it has an EVF or AF.. . or OVF and MF...  I can work with any good, simple system.  

I believe you mostly feel the same?

Rick

Absolutely.

With the days getting shorter I have been exploring the low-light capabilities of the 28 Summilux. I have noticed that wide open bright lights show an aberration that looks like sagittal astigmatism.

Here is a 100% crop from the left hand side of an image exhibiting the phenomenon:

Is that normal for this lens or is there something wrong with my copy?

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

With the days getting shorter I have been exploring the low-light capabilities of the 28 Summilux. I have noticed that wide open bright lights show an aberration that looks like sagittal astigmatism.

Here is a 100% crop from the left hand side of an image exhibiting the phenomenon:

2015-12-15_18-16-52_1004316.jpg

Is that normal for this lens or is there something wrong with my copy?

Commonly known nowadays as coma, though you are spot on with the name, this lens, and other Luxes, does have plenty. Previous page does show this behavior with star points. In my experience, only the recent ZM 35 1.4 is the only M 1.4 lens without this problem.

The 28mm f/1.4 Summilux-M ASPH is highly unusual for a modern lens in that the Sagittal performance, as shown in the published MTF curves, hardly changes as it is stopped down. 

The sagittal data for f/1.4 is basically indistinguishable from that at f/5.6 - certainly in practice and normal use.

The 28mm f/2 Summicron-M ASPH is quite different in this respect.

As Wattsy says, f/1.4 comes at a price.

.......... What is your impression regarding how the lens renders overall in practice and normal use?

I'm making the assumption that this question is addressed to me.

I don't have a 28mm Summilux and nothing I have seen, heard or read encourages me to thing that I would benefit from getting one.

My 28mm f/2 Summicon-M ASPH, although dating from 2000 as a design and many times forecast on this forum as being about to be discontinued, is a strong performer.

For pictures indoors at social events, provided its UVa filter is removed, it is more than capable of yielding prints up to and including A2 size.

When mine was about 10 years old it had to have a CLA back in Wetzlar because the front element became loose which cost £265 GBP. 

Personally I find it interesting from an historical perspective that unlike Leica's current 35mm and 50mm lens, where the f/1.4 versions noticeably outperform the f/2 versions, (50mm APO excepted), the 28mm lenses seem to conform to the historic norm.   

• 2 months later...

I have sold mine and bought the Summicron back. Well, not exactly. I gave my Summilux 28 that I had used for four months to a different Leica dealer and he gave me a brandnew Summicron 28 (the one with the small metal shade) for it. Why did I do this? Because I found the Summilux too big and heavy. It's just not such a joy to carry and to use as the Summicron is. The new Summicron 28mm is a beauty, it is compact and light and very well made, too. As far as I can judge from a few shots it provides excellent quality with less CA and a less complex distortion than the Summilux. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Don, well this pretty much puts the issue to bed, for me.  The CA and the size and weight of the Summilux was just a bridge to far.  I do like the Summicron.   It will now be interesting to hear what you think about the new Summicron.  

I can't find much about it and most suspect it is the same as the old one.  Although, Jono has stated elsewhere that the changes to the 28 Summicron are the most impressive on the M240.  Not sure what he specifically meant.  Let us know as you get some experience with it.

Rick

• Like 1

i like this lens a lot, not as my 35 Lux, but 28 lux is one of my favorite glass.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8

I would have to agree with you, Rick.  The 28 'cron is looking like the lens for me at this point.  I am not opposed to paying $6000 USD for a lens, but I want round Christmas lights at f/1.4...

I have had the cron since 2007 and it is my favorite lens.  You can read my past posts on this thread.  I've really tried to want to buy the 28 Lux but, the size just doesn't do it for me.  I understand others do not find this a problem.  I just have really got into small lenses through the years and the 28 Cron has been such a stellar lens for me.  

Rick

• Like 2

The extra weight doesn't concern me that much, and the bokeh produced by the 28 Summilux is outstanding; thanks for the example you posted, EdwardM. 

The 28 'lux is hard to resist, especially for a lover of the 28mm focal length - so I'm back to listing toward the 28 'lux again.  I don't shoot shoot Christmas tree lights often but if I do,  I'll have to remember to do it at f/4.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Funny to see the initial excitement over the new Summilux mature into renewed appreciation for the 28 Summicron. I appreciate that, since I too like my 2/28 and don't need the expense of the 1.4/28! :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...