New: LEICA SUMMILUX-M 28 mm f/1.4 ASPH.

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Glad i part exchanged Summicron 28 earlier this year, shooting at f1.4 is a big bonus for me, lens is dreamy good fully open and excellent stopped down.  

Two samples shot at f1.4

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by mmradman
  • Like 10

Oh dear. Have the found some new fail with it?  Mine was built in Aug 2014, so was presumably an engineering run sample, hopefully with extra checks. As it is, I really like the lens: it provides very attractive low light images.  Background lights at night create the sort of bokeh I would normally associate with an 85mm f1.4. 

I haven't heard anything about any error. Mine was made in December 2014. 

Some times they stack up products to have a decent number to ship, so maybe they did on the 28/1.4. They did with the Leica M 240 over several months.

The Leica Q and M246 I have seen were made relatively few days before they were shipped and delivered. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The British Journal of Photography review of this lens this month is pretty luke warm (not really sharp until f/4 lots of purple, red and green fringing).  Seems a little harsh to me, although I have one.  I agree that the aberrations are there, but the sharpness wide open (in the centre particularly) is good enough for me, and the rendering of the backgrounds is attractive, to me at least, particularly at night, something that the reviewer does not seem to get to.

The British Journal of Photography review of this lens this month is pretty luke warm (not really sharp until f/4 lots of purple, red and green fringing).  Seems a little harsh to me, although I have one.  I agree that the aberrations are there, but the sharpness wide open (in the centre particularly) is good enough for me, and the rendering of the backgrounds is attractive, to me at least, particularly at night, something that the reviewer does not seem to get to.

How is the coma at night, especially at WO? Does it have any bat-wing coma toward the corners and edges? Recently got some infinity RAWs, I agree with you regarding the resolution at WO, it's plenty good for me. The lens is tack sharp across the frame stopping down to f/5.6 and f/8.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I should have said that that is an out of camera JPEG  at f1.4 and ISO 6400, hand held (on a Sony A7R ii). So consider it an example of coma, and what can be achieved at the limit (a street scene at midnight). In real life I would turn this into a more atmospheric b@w. 

I should have said that that is an out of camera JPEG  at f1.4 and ISO 6400, hand held (on a Sony A7R ii). So consider it an example of coma, and what can be achieved at the limit (a street scene at midnight). In real life I would turn this into a more atmospheric b@w. 

If I get this lens, part of it would be for wide-field astrophotography. F/1.4 can pick up unbelievable amount of stars and with a slower lens raising ISO to equivalent stop just does not equalize. F/1.4 doesn't have to be tack sharp, but coma would wreak havoc. I have seen test shots of night sky with the Lux 21 and 24, and they do have quite noticeable coma even at web view (and huge PF). This Lux 28 seems to be a bit better.

It is a bit better, but if you are looking for coma correction in a fast lens there are not many good examples (e.g., the new Nikon 58mm f1.4).

For the sort of picture that I take at night, I get a better result with a (small) tripod and shooting at ISO 100 and f2.8 or above.  I am not sure that astro-photographt is the Summilux's forte, but you the rendering is to my taste for city shots at night.  

• 2 weeks later...

I have ordered this lens since beginning of July, and so far no news to when it will be in stock yet.

Has anyone heard anything?  :huh:

Leica is still announcing new products even though they already can't keep up with the production of 'old' products lol

Edited by kwang411

Anyone used filters with their 28 lux? I'd like to get some for B&W on my mono and an ND.

Believe they fit in the hood like the 21 Lux, rather than screw on. Is this right? Cheers.

Yes, B&W 49mm clear filter, fits under the hood. Once filter is screwed in hood can be omitted but this is not recommended, I only mention it to make  distinction with other lenses, read next paragraph.  Also tried some old Hoya 49mm colour filters from early 1980s, they all fit.

Summilux 21 and 24mm are different, they use old fashioned Series 8 and 7 filters respectively.  These filters are without the thread and are inserted above the lens and secured with the lens hood on top.  In case of 21mm with both Leica and B&W Series 8 filters there is some looseness but it is easily remedied with some sticky tape (like black electrician tape) applied inside the hood.

Edited by mmradman

Yes, B&W 49mm clear filter, fits under the hood. Once filter is screwed in hood can be omitted but this is not recommended, I only mention it to make  distinction with other lenses, read next paragraph.  Also tried some old Hoya 49mm colour filters from early 1980s, they all fit.

Summilux 21 and 24mm are different, they use old fashioned Series 8 and 7 filters respectively.  These filters are without the thread and are inserted above the lens and secured with the lens hood on top.  In case of 21mm with both Leica and B&W Series 8 filters there is some looseness but it is easily remedied with some sticky tape (like black electrician tape) applied inside the hood.

Don't have the lens, but I thought you just need to remove the metal ring screwed on the front lens to expose the regular filter thread. The filter attached firmly on a lens would beat any loosely fitting under the hood deal.

That's it! I didn't spot the little ring on the front. Filter goes on now, but still too fat to fit the hood after, but that'll be fine when I'm using it.

Which brand are you using? The thinnest high quality UV filter (or ND/C-Pol for that matter) is from Breakthrough.Photography. It's a tad thinner than the B+W Nano (thinnest in B+W line).  I don't know that would make enough of a difference.

Edward - I was able to get the 13328 and 13329 to fit with my example. Tolerances are tight with the 13328, so maybe look for the low-profile 13329. That one is out of production but available. Note that it does not have front threads, so no filter stacking.

Eric