B&W

k-hawinkler

Thanks everybody for the feedback.  Really appreciated!

Was there manipulation other than the obvious sharpening?

Does it matter?

Thank you for the image.

Well the image was shot with the Sony A7R and Leica Vario-Elmarit-R 28-90/2.8-4.5 ASPH.

I used Capture One Pro 8.2.2 to develop the raw image in color by adjusting WB and moving some sliders.

Then I used CS6, Nik, and in particular Silver Efex Pro 2 to enhance the cloud and rain structures already visible in the color image.

I also removed some dust spots.

pico, to answer your questions: • yes, • you be the judge.  :) Thank you for your questions.

A7R + Vario-Elmarit-R 28-90/2.8-4.5 • Capture One Pro 8.2.2 

_DSC6160_C1Pro_7360x4912_Col_3680x2456_1

Capture One Pro 8.2.2 • CS6, Nik, Silver Efex Pro 2, 000 Neutral 
_DSC6160_C1Pro_7360x4912_B%26W_000_Neutr

Capture One Pro 8.2.2 • CS6, Nik, Silver Efex Pro 2, 000 Neutral • 024 Full Contrast and Structure  

Capture One Pro 8.2.2 • CS6, Nik, Silver Efex Pro 2, 000 Neutral • 024 Full Contrast and Structure • 024 Full Contrast and Structure 

• Like 2

Fascinating to see how your final result has been achieved, particularly for me, as I convert images from the M9 to b&w using LR only.

Thank you for sharing this with us!! 

Thanks.  You are welcome Dee.  I look at the Operator 024 Full Contrast and Structure as enhancing smooth gradients in an image.

BTW, applying this Operator twice in a row to the image introduces a lot of noise and makes dust spots increasingly visible.

Luckily there is the Dust Removal Function in CS6 and the Define 2 Operator in Nik that I applied when needed to keep noise and other artifacts at a minimum.

Interesting is also that whereas the clouds and falling rain benefitted a lot from this treatment, the sunlit lower part of the image wasn't affected that much at all in my eyes.

For certain kinds of images this treatment seems to work rather well and lets them appear more dramatic.

For other kinds it seems to give the images simply an unrealistic touch!  :wub:   Which is fine with me if that is the intended purpose.   :)   YMMV.  :rolleyes:   

In the end - unless one uses photography for documentary, news or forensic purposes - a more interestingly looking image has to be the goal of these manipulations IMHO.