No real need to have 6 bit code at and above 35mm, also you can just set the M to 'manual lens detection' and select the lens from the table of lenses in the camera.

Then the firmware in the camera will correct the vignetting slightly.

Contact Leica Customer Service, they will advice you where and when to send it in. If you decide you would like to have it coded anyway

Edited by Erik Gunst Lund
  • Like 1

I had mine coded by Leica and am pleased with the results. It does give accurate recognition of which focal length has been used which is handy for later analysis. It will also add value and saleability to the lens if that is important for you.

• Like 1

I had mine coded by Leica and am pleased with the results. It does give accurate recognition of which focal length has been used which is handy for later analysis. It will also add value and saleability to the lens if that is important for you.

Yes, that's absolute right, but how does it work?

Coding only gives simple information to the camera, that a MATE is coupled.
There must be something like a sensor which transfers informations about the mechanical changes of the rangefinder's frames to the electronic part of the digital M.
Even an expert from Leica Wetzlar, whom I met about a fortnight ago at a representation of the newest Leica products, was really astonished about this matter but couldn't explain. 

No, it is simply determined by the 6-bit code (obviously unchanged with all three focal length adjustments) and by mechanical means.  

Remember that the camera identifies the lens by both 6-bit coding AND the position of the VF framelines which are selected manually/mechanically by the lens when selecting 28,35, or 50mm.

With respect to the Leica Wetzlar expert he should stick to new products.

Obviously 'x' is the unknown variable here  ;).

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, that's absolute right, but how does it work?

Coding only gives simple information to the camera, that a MATE is coupled.

There must be something like a sensor which transfers informations about the mechanical changes of the rangefinder's frames to the electronic part of the digital M.

Even an expert from Leica Wetzlar, whom I met about a fortnight ago at a representation of the newest Leica products, was really astonished about this matter but couldn't explain.

The focal length is transmitted by the position of the frameline coupling.
  • Like 1

What does 1/2 bit look like? :D

http://www.oesterreichbier.de/images/bitburger.jpg

:) Thomas

for those, who don't know: "Bit" is the short Name for the brewery...

what I never understood:

Why does Leica not couple Tri-Elmar-WATE with the Frame selector like MATE does?

So via software there could be given info if 16,18 or 21mm is selectet by changing frame with focal length change.

Looking through Frankenfinder does make no difference which frame is visibe in the camera's finder at all...

Edited by duckrider
  • Like 1

http://www.oesterreichbier.de/images/bitburger.jpg

:) Thomas

for those, who don't know: "Bit" is the short Name for the brewery...

what I never understood:

Why does Leica not couple Tri-Elmar-WATE with the Frame selector like MATE does?

So via software there could be given info if 16,18 or 21mm is selectet by changing frame with focal length change.

Looking through Frankenfinder does make no difference which frame is visibe in the camera's finder at all...

There is no way to mechanically frame select 16 to 21mm so the WATE was therefore never designed to move the frame-line selector mechanism.

Edited by MarkP

There is no way to mechanically frame select 16 to 21mm so the WATE was therefore never designed to move the frame-line selector mechanism.

Not valid.

You could just assign dummy values similar to what the MATE does for framelines, since you would't use the rangefinder window for the framelines anyway it doest matter if they are wrong... 

My guess is that the rater complex mechanical leaver couplung needed for the 'zoom' /focal length selection was discarded as a cost down

My guess is that the rater complex mechanical leaver couplung needed for the 'zoom' /focal length selection was discarded as a cost down

and to make it work in the MATE the progressive order of focal length on the lens was 28-50-35, as opposed to the WATE where 16-18-21 is more of a stepped zoom.

Edited by MarkP

Yes, for 16, 18 and 21 mm of the WATE, there are no matching frames inside the viewfinder.

But because you have to look through an extern viewfinder (Frankenfinder) to determine the correct image section, three different frames could be reflected depending on the choice of the focal length, even if they are not the right three frames.
This should only serve to communicate in combination with the coding of the WATE to the electronics of the digital M and thus the EXIF data, which focal length was set at the WATE.

You could just assign dummy values similar to what the MATE does for framelines, 

But the MATE doesn't assign dummy values but a determination made between the fixed 6-bit code and variable position of frame-selector lever.

The WATE doesn't move the frame selector lever - that's the rub.

Edited by MarkP

It's even simpler than that. There are no 16-18-21 frame lines for a switch to be connected to.

Which makes perfect sense, as there are no 16-18-21 framelines anyway. And on top of that, the corrections for 16-18-21 on the WATE are the same.

But the MATE doesn't assign dummy values but a determination made between the fixed 6-bit code and variable position of frame-selector lever.

The WATE doesn't move the frame selector lever - that's the rub.

Yes, but it could! If they had bothered designing the lens to do so...

I give up, seems most people here understand now... :)

• Like 1

Having the MATE move the frame line selector in step with the focal length changes made the lens VERY complicated mechanically. There are some pictures of a MATE cut in half which shows this. It is responsible for a large part of the cost of producing this lens, and the main reason a version II was produced was to make the selector change smoother and more reliable. Adding this complexity and cost just to produce more accurate EXIF data was not considered worthwhile. A wise decision, in my opinion.