Sharpest 35mm under $1000

cartierbresson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm in the market for a sharp 35mm lens for my M6 under $1000 (new/used). Any suggestions? I've only started reading about lenses and it sounds like Leica Summicron and Summilix lenses are generally recommended, but those are well above $1000. Is there an older model of those lenses that you'd recommend that may be in my budget? Should I drop the idea of a Leica and pick a Zeiss/Voigtlander instead?

Hi Henri. ;) Welcome to the forum. Difficult to find a sharp Leica 35mm under §1K. The Summaron 35/2.8 springs to mind but it is not as sharp as the almost perfect C-Biogon 35/2.8. The latter is very contrasty though.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Zeiss C-Biogon 2,8/35: even regardless of price one of the best: very sharp, no focus shift, littel to no flare & very compact. Well ahead of the Voigtländer lenses. Same class as Summicron ASPH or Summarit (which would be my 2nd recommendation)...

• Like 3

Should be able to get a Summarit F2.5 for around that budget. I have (at the moment) current Summilux, Summicron and Summarit and the F2.5 lens is probably the sharpest of all three (in the centre at least).

• Like 1

Well, based on reviews the Voigtländer Color Skopar 35/2.5 P Type (M Mount) is apparently the sharpest in the centre - when pixel peeping. 

Real life? Probably does not matter much - other parameters might be more important (corners, CA, flare)

For below 1000 (new) your choice is pretty much limited to Voigtländer 35/2.5 and Zeiss 35/2.8. The size advantage goes to Voigtländer - it is quite small.

If you include second hand lenses, you can look at the Summarit 35/2.5 or the Zeiss 35/2.0. The Zeiss 35/2.0 is not as sharp wide open, the Summarit is a fine lens. I do not consider the Voigtländer 35/1.4 (neither version) a worthy competitor and I find it too difficult to get a decent Summaron 35/2.8.

• Like 1

Although I recommended the Zeiss 2.8, I have the VC 35 1.4, Zeiss 35 f2.0, and Summarit 35 2.5. My VC 1.4 is fairly sharp in most pictures, and handles well - like a copy of the old Summilux 35 - but its sharpness varies across the field. (Center is good) I find the Zeiss 35 f2.0 and the Summarit 2.5 about equal in performance, but the Summarit handling is better for me. Overall I like the Summarit best, but a good copy used is a bit more than $1K

• Like 1

Relatively inexpensive but sharp on film is the VC Color Skopar 35/f2.5, if you're willing to consider a brand other than Leica. Older version (screwmount) fits on an adapter ring and can be used just fine on your M6, or you could up the ante and go for a newer version. I've been using one for several years now (after using a 35 Summaron for almost 40 years) and am quite satisfied with its results.

• Like 1

The Zeiss 35 2.8 is so sharp that it creates artefacts on my M9,  but it is amazing on the MM. The Cron 4 handles better but it is over your budget.  The Zeiss is also extraordinary at infinity. All around a remarkable lens.  Also no distortion that I can see.  Cheshire Cat has a good question.  I always shoot at 5.6-8,  where lense are at their best.  I think Bokeh is the biggest myth in the game.  I hope Leica paid off Michael Johnson for creating both the term  and the idea  that the Cron 4 is the Bokeh king.  All nonsense. 

• Like 4