Impressions On The Monochrom (Type-246) After A Few Days Shooting With It

johnbuckley

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Indeed, Brian, the imminent Epson P800 printer will no doubt produce outstanding B&W.  Especially in ABW mode.

But if you want to see the absolute highest fidelity possible, a quality that reveals in print all the nuance and richness that the Monochrom is capable of, treat yourself and give Jon Cone's K7 Piezography - a dedicated inkset using 7 black inks - a try.

http://jeffreyhughes.net/wordpress/2014/12/21/adventures-in-piezography/

Congratulations on your imminent purchase.  I'm in line at my local store, as well.

The info on Piezography was very interesting especially as my understanding is that I can use the ink set in my Epson printer 2880. Has anyone got any further information on sourcing the ink sets in the UK.

BrianP

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting your comments. After reading Jono Slacks  and Sean Reads reports I decided to buy one when the initial rush has died down.In the meantime I have ordered the new Epson P 800 printer which will give super results in B and W printing.

BrianP

I am curious as to why the 800 would be an improvement over the 4900,  which has 11 as opposed to 8 inks.  Other than its tendency to clog,  and use massive amounts of ink in the cleaning process,  it is a remarkably sophisticated piece of equipment.  BTW,  Cone's inks clog up even more in the 4900. 

I am curious as to why the 800 would be an improvement over the 4900,  which has 11 as opposed to 8 inks.  Other than its tendency to clog,  and use massive amounts of ink in the cleaning process,  it is a remarkably sophisticated piece of equipment.  BTW,  Cone's inks clog up even more in the 4900. 

Depends on one's preferences.  The ink set in the new SureColor P series is completely revised, with expected improvements in blacks, etc.  I expect that there will be a similar P replacement for the 4900, just like there was for the P600 (replacing the 13" R3000) and the P800 (replacing the 17" 3880).  In addition to the well known clogging issue with the 4900, the footprint of that machine (in part to accommodate the extra inks) is huge compared to the P800 (even though both 17"), and that's a big deal (so to speak) for some.  

The 4900 used to have a roll paper advantage on the 3880, but the P800 now accepts a roll paper adapter for folks wanting to go that route.

Inks are where the real expenses come, and one must determine whether 80ml or 200ml cartridges suit best, depending of course on cost and expected print use.  BTW, the P800 (like the 3880) uses 9 inks, not 8, counting both matte and photo black…the 4900 adds the extra green and orange.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

The new one is not for me -- 80 ml cartridges,  etc.  I like the heft of the 4900.  It has been chugging away for three years with no service needed.  Not clear how different the new inks are,  either.  They are  both called UltraChrome HD.  I will be ready for a new printer next year. and am surprised how the long the 4900 has been in production without a new model coming along. 

I'm not surprised at all at the snail's pace of new Epson products….hardly any competition anymore to push them.  You're lucky on your 4900…I know several people with vastly different stories….Epson reportedly even shut down production for a period as complaints mounted.

The new inks have been discussed elsewhere…there's a reason they call the new line SureColor.

Jeff

The intrinsic beauty of the M240 Monochrome requires actual hands-on use.  The afternoon that  I received mine I set the ISO at 15,000  and DNG and shot people in all kinds of situations  and varoius sights here in Zurich. into the night  In bars, in trams, outside in the street  etc. and then went home to my trusty 3880.   

I printed the shoot  without making  adjustments to the various developing controls in Lightroom 6..  And the photographs were amazing.  

IMHO Leica has made a BW camera that exceeds all past models.   

The camera is worth every penny IMHO.

• Like 4

I'm not surprised at all at the snail's pace of new Epson products….hardly any competition anymore to push them.  You're lucky on your 4900…I know several people with vastly different stories….Epson reportedly even shut down production for a period as complaints mounted.

I think the snail pace stems in part from the fact that it is difficult to improve on the output of the 3800. My print heads gave up a year ago and I bought the 3880 because it was cheaper to buy a new printer and get a free ink set than have it repaired. I think that white ink might be an interesting experiment, so that if you have blown highlights at the edge of the frame, you can choose to delineate them from the paper with white ink. I would like this as an option that can be turned on and off.

• Like 1

I think the snail pace stems in part from the fact that it is difficult to improve on the output of the 3800. My print heads gave up a year ago and I bought the 3880 because it was cheaper to buy a new printer and get a free ink set than have it repaired.

I totally disagree….printers used to come out frequently when competition was robust, and people cared more about printing than online posting.  Printer costs have nothing to do with it, as they are loss leaders for the companies to sell inks, which is where the margins are…same basic deal as razors and blades.  

Most printers today, including the 3880 and 4900 still suffer from dodgy feed mechanisms and various other design issues that could be improved if there incentives to do so.  In years past, Epson could not have afforded to delay responding to 4900 head clogs as they have.  I'm actually impressed that Epson finally stepped up after a long lull to introduce the latest series.  Since this thread is about the Monochrom, wouldn't it be nice to have Epson produce their own printer line with all black ink sets rather than leaving that market to third party suppliers?   Yeah, fat chance.

We see much the same with Apple's neglect with desktop hardware and software updates, where they used to be quick and responsive.  Attention has switched to mobile devices as trends and demands have shifted.  

These shifts seem obvious, and understandable, to me…but frustrating just the same.  

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

Since this thread is about the Monochrom, wouldn't it be nice to have Epson produce their own printer line with all black ink sets rather than leaving that market to third party suppliers?   Yeah, fat chance.

Try to keep up.   :rolleyes:

Ten posts and you're already a moderator.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Update: I just received back my first batch of prints on Epson Fine Art Ultra Smooth 100% cotton paper. They are gorgeous, to my eye. In one still life, the combination of having what I wanted in perfect focus -- because of the EVF -- and the OOF focus area showcasing the Noctilux's magic, makes for a gorgeous print.

Now to be fair, are they more gorgeous than what was possible with the original Monochrom? I would say no, with the exception of the  in-focus area being more precise.

The more I use this Mono246, though, and experiment with the high ISO possibilities, the more I think that with this one, Leica has made a soulful, intensely satisfying tool just that much better.

Most of us on this forum are photographers first, admirers of Leica technology second, and quite critical of the imperfections of cameras that occasionally have intensely annoying quirks or limitations.  I think we should celebrate this moment, today, when Leica's 240 color cameras, and now its 246 Mono, have achieved such a high level of quality.  To some of us Forum old timers -- I joined in 2003, hoping to get info on the exciting possibilities of the Digilux 2 -- who have lived with Leica's ups and downs over the past decade or more, to have the Monochrom Typ-246 and the M/M-P Typ 240 both available... Well, hats off to Dr. K, Stefan Daniel, and all those in Solms/Wetzlar who have restored the company. I really mean this.

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Hi John; I enjoyed and appreciated your review very much. I'm waiting for delivery of a M246 at the moment and for much the same reasons as you, have decided to upgrade. I always enjoyed the original MM and was stunned by the quality of the images it produced. However, after using it alongside the M240 for the last few years I've realised just how much better the M is as a camera platform. The convenience of carrying one charger, one set of batteries and the ability to use EVF was justification enough for me. The topping on the cake, so to speak, is the ultra smooth M240 shutter.

My only problem now is when will it arrive.

Cheers, Tom