Something special bought at Photographica today

Advertisement (gone after registration)

At the Westminster Photographica camera fair today I negotiated a deal on an Ilford/Kennedy Instruments Monobar 'Type U' c. mid.1950s. 

A very quick image after throwing a focusing cloth over all the junk on my desk

… 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The 35mm format monobar view camera was designed by medical photographers Charles Engel and Dr Dr Peter Hansel in the early 1950s and manufactured by Kennedy Instruments (a partly owned subsidiary of Ilford Ltd.) for use in medical labs. The camera's use of standard 35mm film stock offered economical workflow and its rise and fall front, rise and fall back, swing and tilt back, and front cross movements offered most of the movements hitherto only available on large format cameras. 

One of our forum members actually worked with the camera in St. Mary's Hospital Paddington during the 1960s so I'm hoping to obtain some more information from him about its applications 

The example bought today was offered with one film back. After buying the camera I subsequently spotted another incomplete film back 'going for a song' on another table - and bought it for spares.

The plan is to adapt a Leica lens(es) to a suitable lens board(s) and then use the camera for product photography. Which Leica lens depends on their potential coverage(s) outside their 'designed for' 24mmx36mm format. For high magnification photomacrography, regular Photar, Summar and Milar macro lenses will probably provide sufficient coverage - I have several to experiment with.

Leitz / Leica enlarging lenses could also be adapted. The great unknowns regarding coverage will be the Leica R 60mm and 100mm macro lenses.

Also, rather than use film, I'd prefer to adapt the 'Type U' Monobar to a digital camera - and have discovered that someone has already achieved the adaption/conversion. 

However, before embarking on experiments I have to complete existing projects and also read up more about the camera's original planned applications - somewhere I have some previously published articles. 

Interesting experiments ahead.

The book in the above photo is Andrew J.  Holliman's "The Cameras of Ilford 1899 to 2005" - which includes a short history of both the Type U and Type F Ilford / Kennedy Instruments Monobar cameras. The 'F' is a simplified version without the full range of movements. 

During the 1950s the Type U Monobar camera cost £180 without a lens. Various mounted Dallmeyer lenses cost an additional £29 to £31 (ish … rounded from £ s d ) 

Many thanks to Andrew J Holliman for the information gleaned thus far about the camera.  

Best wishes

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 6

Very interesting item... a good choice, and I suggest you a Leitz lens that could be worth on such a camera : the V Elmar 100 for enlarging : it covers 6x9, so that you can use safely tilt+shift, has a decent aperture (4,5), is, I think, not difficult to find nor too costly (I found mine - perfect conditions - in a shop , and paid 220 Euros) , has a std. 39x1 thread so it is probably easy to find the way to mount it, it's well suited for short distances (never tested mine at infinity... surely possible with bellows on M240). You can find it in the Wiki section - darkroom equipment - with also a link to a post about it.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dunk, 

Well that's you kept out of trouble for the next few months, sorting that lot out  :)

Wilson

Wilson, 'Sorting', i.e. adapting a DSLR or mirrorless ILC, will be more difficult than anticipated but will persevere. 

dunk

Very interesting item... a good choice, and I suggest you a Leitz lens that could be worth on such a camera : the V Elmar 100 for enlarging : it covers 6x9, so that you can use safely tilt+shift, has a decent aperture (4,5), is, I think, not difficult to find nor too costly (I found mine - perfect conditions - in a shop , and paid 220 Euros) , has a std. 39x1 thread so it is probably easy to find the way to mount it, it's well suited for short distances (never tested mine at infinity... surely possible with bellows on M240). You can find it in the Wiki section - darkroom equipment - with also a link to a post about it.

Thanks Luigi … the front lens is the easier part … I have some macro Summar lenses which should cover the movements e.g. a 12cm f4.5 Summar but have to keep the overall extension to a minimum. The difficult part is attaching a digital camera without increasing the extension - the camera handgrip &/or prism front will need separating from the rear standard / fork/ revolving back - so the camera can revolve with revolving back. May have to source a M4/3 camera with a flat front and no built-in grip. 

dunk

.... May have to source a M4/3 camera with a flat front and no built-in grip. 

dunk

There are some Panasonics that are well "flat".... but don't you think that some APS/C could fit ? There are some X series Fuji that have a very "discrete" grip... also that odd "camera" named Sony QX1 could be evaluated... it's the device most similar to what can be defined as an "APS digital back" :huh:

Edited by luigi bertolotti

There are some Panasonics that are well "flat".... but don't you think that some APS/C could fit ? There are some X series Fuji that have a very "discrete" grip... also that odd device named Sony QX1 could be evaluated...

Yes maybe an APS-C might fit if the prism front does not form a protruding lip … a flat Panasonic would fit but trying not buy another camera. Just tried a NEX-5 which would require a short extension to clear its grip … the extension being the thickness of the plate attached to and in front of the mount adaptor. There are various options to consider … and have to spend ££more on the 800mm project too without going over budget. 

Regards

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

There are some Panasonics that are well "flat".... but don't you think that some APS/C could fit ? There are some X series Fuji that have a very "discrete" grip... also that odd "camera" named Sony QX1 could be evaluated... it's the device most similar to what can be defined as an "APS digital back"

Ricoh GXR with M module should adapt … will investigate further.

dunk

I used one briefly in the 60s when I was doing my C&G photo course, bit like a half size Cambo.

Later on I used a Nikon PB4 bellows with movements in the studio to photograph furniture, and I still have one of those.

Shortest lens I could use with both I think was 100mm. Ok for studio but not much good for architecture!

Gerry

• Like 1

Monobar research continues; my example needs a new azimuth movement locking bolt in the base and have asked an engineer friend to make a replacement. A Leica Forum friend's pal also has a Monobar and we've exchanged Emails - his camera also needs the same azimuth locking bolt replacing. If anyone is interested in finding out more about the camera, a comprehensive 17 page article was published in the Photographic Collectors Club of GB magazine 'Photographica World' ... 2010/4 edition. 

My example is very well used and beyond economical repair to original working condition with a film magazine  - unless I can obtain spare parts. But it should be possible to adapt a digital camera body and attach to the revolving back on the rear standard … with a view to then making front standard lens boards for use with Leica lenses. 

This link describes the simpler 'F' type Monobar and its use at St Mary's Hospital and also includes a link to further information/description about the 'U' type.

http://www.photomemorabilia.co.uk/Il...r_ESparks.html

Regards

dunk