If, any fake ?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hello all,

I've got my mind set on a If, to be a acquired in the near future.

I was wondering if there are any fake ones around ? Haven't read about it on the forum or anywhere on the internet.

Without the rangefinder details it is more difficult to have something to look for.

The best news would be that this type wasn't worth making fakes of (wishful thinking   :rolleyes: ).

Thoughts anyone ?

Regards,

Jos.

Never heard about a fake If and, frankly, do not see why somebody would "invest" in making one ! Incidentally, "yours" (the one on the photo) is lacking the covering around the flash socket.

attachicon.gifLeica If.jpgHello all,

I've got my mind set on a If, to be a acquired in the near future.

I was wondering if there are any fake ones around ? Haven't read about it on the forum or anywhere on the internet.

Without the rangefinder details it is more difficult to have something to look for.

The best news would be that this type wasn't worth making fakes of (wishful thinking   :rolleyes: ).

Thoughts anyone ?

Regards,

Jos.

• Like 1

Did not find any reports on this particular model having fakes made, but to go for a trusted dealer is good advice.

They are a bit more expensive with those guys, have to save a bit longer for it.

Thanks.

Regards,  Jos.

Edited by jos58

A few years ago one of my wife's patients asked if I would value for probate purposes, a collection of about 75 cameras, where he was the executor. Lots of Super Ikontas and other nice condition folders plus various old plate but not wood cameras but the one I was interested was a model IG Leica in near mint condition with the quite rare LTM f2.8 50 Elmar. When I agreed to do a formal valuation, I said I would not charge but wanted to buy the IG at probate value, which was agreed verbally by the executor. Stupidly, since it was one of my wife's patients, I did not get this in writing. I put a lot of work into this and actually bought a new "blue book", so I would have up to date valuations. I submitted a typed and itemised valuation and asked if once probate had been granted, the executor would contact me to arrange the transfer of the IG. A few months later when nothing had been heard, I contacted him, only to be told: "oh I sold the whole lot to a dealer." "What about my fee of the Leica IG?" I asked  "Oh I thought you were just doing the valuation for me as a favour and because you were interested," was the reply from the lying b******d. Well I will know the next time - don't do favours for people without getting the agreement in writing!

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw