Patches on my Photos

Fezz

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,
I was wondering whether you could help me. I just took some pics of my daughter with an M9 and there are patches all over the image. They seem to have appeared out of nowhere. Can you confirm if this is dust on the sensor or something else?

I attached an image but it does not seem to appear. Maybe you can see it on this public drop box link? https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9975928/Screen%20Shot%202015-05-16%20at%2009.22.53.png

Thanks,
Alex

Edited by Fezz

It does not look like dust- but looks like something on the sensor like the start of corrosion, maybe the protective layer separating, or perhaps dry moisture. 

Have you used the "Clean the Sensor" to inspect it? Worth a look, but I think it will be going to Leica for a professional opinion.

Wow that is really disappointing, hardly what one would expect from Leica. One of the reason you buy a Leica is for quality and durability.

Nic, Thank you so much for posting that as I was going to clean the sensor but after reading the links you posted I will not as it seems the issue was exacerbated for the people who did decide to clean the sensor. 

Aslo I have some images which were fine which made it a total mystery but other users claimed that they appear, or not, at different apertures. 

Anyway I will contact Leica and see how it goes. 

Thank you!!

Alex

If the patches are now gone, it could have been moisture that has now dissipated. 

Try cleaning the sensor before sending it in. If you use a purpose-made cleaning kit, you should be fine. It will not invalidate the Leica policy for free sensor replacement, even if out of warranty.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

pkmister actually I live in Mexico on the Yucatan Peninsula, que kingdom of humidity so if I am lucky it may just be.. humidity... 

Lenshacker I´ll try and clean lans with arctic butterfly and report back. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Humidity is a problem with cameras, especially when linked with high temperatures. In England we have a temperate climate so, even though we can get high humidity, the temperatures are moderate.

The shot you took reminds me of trying to look through glasses (spectacles) in a warm bathroom where beads of moisture land on the cooler optical lenses.

Hard work cutting toenails when one's eyesight is past its best! :rolleyes:

If I were you I wouldn't be too concerned. Moisture will disappear if you let the camera breathe. Keep it in there and you could get the dreaded fungus infestation that would mean a costly CLA (Clean, Lubricate, and Adjust).

Anyway, in the Yucatan Peninsular I expect you rarely need central heating. :)

If you were outside in the moist heat, and came inside, into air conditioning, you certainly could have had condensation on the sensor - which would eventually go away.

That said, this does look like sensor corrosion. Take a shot of the clear sky at f/16 - are the drops still there? If they are, try a wet clean of the sensor (it's not going to make the corrosion worse - and, if it's not corrosion, is your best shot at getting whatever it is off).  Take another test shot of the sky at f/16. If the marks have moved or gone away, you had dust, moisture or oil. If they're still there and haven't moved, you have corrosion and should send your camera off to Leica. 

Good luck.

I would dry ASAP with hair dryer on very low from 12" or no heat.

Alcohol has affinity for water if you can wet clean with Eclipse, but try the drying first and see if problem goes away.

Consensus seems to be water starts the corrosion problem so it may be too late.