Imageprint still best RIP?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Have done well without any RIP, but with upgrade of the Adobe suite I'm considering investing in Imageprint for the Epson 3880 to have to spend less time profiling papers and trial and error printing.

Is Imageprint still the best choice? Their web site has teased version 10 for months, but they still sell version 9. Any takes on why?

magnus

They have released beta versions of 10 (I bought an upgrade to 10 from them last fall) and it is working well.  I think some features may not be implemented but I'm not sure since there are many features I don't use.  Best to talk to sales.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a friend who loves IP for color work, but he has found that results are subtly improved even further when he still profiles his papers (using his i1 gear) and incorporates it into his IP workflow per the company's instructions.  The best results always come with lots of attention, effort and careful work, I think, even when stock solutions are offered…no magic bullets.  [i believe he uses QTR with Piezo for his b/w work.]

I'm still going without a RIP, using his custom profiles or ones offered by Chromix Color Valet Pro.  I like printing using the LR print module, and I'm not sure if printing through IP would offer me the same flexibility and ease.  IP offers a print-through application for LR, but my friend discovered that print results are not as great as when printing straight with IP (having to do with sRGB, 8 bits, using the PTA).

In the end, each person has his/her own preferred workflow.  What's best for one isn't always what's best for another.  IP does, however, generally receive good feedback here (various discussions through search).

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1