M246 shipping

algrove

TThorne - can't you just claim you're related to that Disney starlet?  That might get you on the "A" list.

Alas, I will never be A list, lol. The closest I come is being the guy in the back corner of the red carpet waiting for clients to wrap up their interviews so we can head in to a premiere. Perhaps I chose the wrong side of the biz...

Oh wait, there is the solution! I will get them to order for me next time!

Edited by tthorne
  • Like 1

I was called by my camera store this afternoon. Their first M246 was in and I'm top of the list. it was mine if I wanted, or off to the next person on the list and they understandably needed a then-and-there decision.

Decided to pass on it :o.   The current prices are too high here and should settle after the initial rush (even the dealer stated this).  We saw this with the initial prices of the original Monochrom here in Australia when people were in a rush to get this new exotic camera ASAP so top prices were asked and paid.  Also, I'd just come out of surgery some hours before and am still in hospital (nothing serious btw) but didn't think I was fit to  make the decision in my current narcotized state :wacko:.  

Nlike I'd be able to be out and using it in the next few days  :rolleyes:.

They will keep me on the top of the list and run them past me first as they dribble in but I'm really inclined to wait till later in the year.

Such resistance to GAS - a first for me!  However, I may be more susceptible next time round.  

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 1

I was visiting my dealer in Vienna the day before official announcement, to pick up my S lens from repair. While I was there, the Leica salesman arrived and brought a box with the M246 which we unpacked to take a look. I couldn't buy it then as it was still the day before launch, but was promised the first one available for sale, to be delivered on 12 May. In the end, I was able to pick it up a day earlier. Very happy with the camera so far. I never used the original MM but I find the files from the M246 excellent - rich in detail and tones. As for contrast and "snap", they are very flexible. In contrasty light, and with a yellow filter, they need no or little extra contrast added in PP, but I prefer to keep them low contrast in RAW (even using some ancient lenses to that end, like a rigid Summicron), because adding contrast in PP is the easiest thing, reducing not always that easy.

• Like 2

Hope you all don't mind the chatter on the thread.

Are there any signs of second-wave deliveries in the United States?

In unrelated news, I see two vendors in Hong Kong selling the cameras.  They have pictures of boxes in hand, so I think they are able to deliver.  Has anyone gone through the purchase experience of buying from Hong Kong, shipping to the United States?  It's supposed to be duty free according to a website calculator.  Any other issues?

Oh, and just to make things worse, I put in an order for the new 28mm yesterday.  Lots of waiting ahead.

Eric

In unrelated news, I see two vendors in Hong Kong selling the cameras.  They have pictures of boxes in hand, so I think they are able to deliver.  Has anyone gone through the purchase experience of buying from Hong Kong, shipping to the United States?  It's supposed to be duty free according to a website calculator.  Any other issues?

Oh, and just to make things worse, I put in an order for the new 28mm yesterday.  Lots of waiting ahead.

Eric

A second wave must be coming since a dealer informed me of an M246 for me due at the store on Tuesday 26 May due to Monday being a holiday so it must have been shipped from Leica NJ on/or about Thursday.

Eric

I have purchased a number of items from Fotopia in Hong Kong and had uniformly excellent experiences. Gilbert is top notch, five stars. You would need to discuss details with him directly, but shipping is immediate and just like ordering from NY.

I don't think I would purchase a brand new digital product from Hong Kong, however, because you are counting on the international Leica warranty to bail you out if the body blows up. My first two M8's and glueless M240 would have been problematic, I imagine, to process through Leica NJ if I had not purchased them through my NY dealer. If you purchased an M246 from Fotopia, for example, and it died once you fired it up here, you would have the Leica worldwide warranty...  but I think the repair would be processed through Wetzlar and hardly be speedy. Just my guesstimate. 

Still no second wave at my dealer, and we go into another weekend, monochromless...  :(

I understand from my dealer that the second wave of M246's is indeed imminent. Consequently, I have only a few days left to gloat over the "monochromless" :( .... ;)

• Like 1

I understand from my dealer that the second wave of M246's is indeed imminent. Consequently, I have only a few days left to gloat over the "monochromless" :( .... ;)

It is slightly embarrassing that I let my impatience speak for me from time to time, but release it or freaking don't release it. This half cocked release BS is irritating. 

My tone will change shortly...

There seems to be no problem in obtaining an M246 with comparatively little wait-time involved, unlike the way it was with the original MM release.

Even the very small Leica dealership that I have always dealt with here in Australia has one (or more) in stock. I received a notification about a week ago.....

the price?  $AU10,300.....our dollar is painfully low in comparison to the US$ and other currencies relevant to those who purchase Leica gear.