Summicron 75 Apo

mandelbrot

I have hed both a just recently decided to keep my APO 75/2.0 after selling my 75/1.4 and 90/2.0. I prefer 90mm FL more than 75, but since it is so small thought it nice to keep along with my Elmarit-M 90/2.8. If you do a search on here you will find about 2000 posts or more on this lens I am sure. 

If I were to chose two lenses and one Leica body, I'd go for a 1.4/35 and this 2/75. I have it for a couple of years now - bought it second hand at a good price. My view has not changed since then. For me the 2/75 it is a fantastic indoor lens (as you cannot always backup as much as you want to). Outdoor the little more reach of the 90 does not make a world difference. The lens focusses down to 70cm, which is helpful for close-ups. I am not an expert on image quality, but this lens clearly far exceeds my capabilities. Built-in lens hood (I know, I know, it is too short, but there is the physical protection factor, too). Yes, the 75 frame lines are quite off, but you can get used to it, actually. I even use this lens with a Zeiss Ikon with good results, which has no 75 frame lines at all. Humans are much more flexible than they appear, when they complain in forums ;)

• Like 1

I have both, and wouldn't be without the 75. The FL has been described as more intimate than 50, and I agree - it captures what I look at rather than the whole scene.

The Summicron is smaller and light than the Summilux, and has an excellent close focus. A great single carry around lens!

• Like 3

Everyone who's replied above have pretty much confirmed the reasons to have a 75 cron.

Unless you really need a 1.4 aperture, it's perfect (nice size, built in hood, nice IQ, and close focussing distance).

if you don't need the 1.4 aperture on the tele lenses, I would recommend the 75 cron, and with the money saved on not getting the 75 Lux, pick up a 90 mm Tele-Elmarit.  :D

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I picked up a used 75 Cron just recently and use it (as I do my 50 Lux) with a 1.25x magnifier.  It is a very good lens ! It's not much bigger than the 50 Lux and it is a bit cheaper on the used market than the 50. Wide open, nailing focus is sometimes a bit tricky (but that's probably more to do with my eyesight than the lens), the look is not unlike that of the 50 Lux (which is brilliant!). 

• 2 weeks later...

If I were to chose two lenses and one Leica body, I'd go for a 1.4/35 and this 2/75. I have it for a couple of years now - bought it second hand at a good price. My view has not changed since then. For me the 2/75 it is a fantastic indoor lens (as you cannot always backup as much as you want to). Outdoor the little more reach of the 90 does not make a world difference. The lens focusses down to 70cm, which is helpful for close-ups. I am not an expert on image quality, but this lens clearly far exceeds my capabilities. Built-in lens hood (I know, I know, it is too short, but there is the physical protection factor, too). Yes, the 75 frame lines are quite off, but you can get used to it, actually. I even use this lens with a Zeiss Ikon with good results, which has no 75 frame lines at all. Humans are much more flexible than they appear, when they complain in forums ;)

I agree fully. 35/1.4 + 75/2.0 is the most ideal two lens setup for the M.

I have both, and wouldn't be without the 75. The FL has been described as more intimate than 50, and I agree - it captures what I look at rather than the whole scene.

I think that this is a very nice way to describe the 75mm FL.

• 4 weeks later...

75 AA wide open.  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

i have it and enjoy it , love the size, weight, and focusing throw, for me its heavily used as part of my 2 lens kit: 35/2  and 75/2. The 75 is VERY sharp, sometimes i think  "too sharp" for portraits. 

I can work nearly as well with 28 + 50 as opposed to 35 + 75.  However, with the former combo I'd be constantly changing between the two lenses where as with the latter I will have the 35 on most of the time, and changing to the 75 only occasionally.    So the latter is more practical.  Plus I prefer 75 for portraits.

And here I thought the most ideal was the 28+50. But my neighnor says it's the 21+35 combo. Who's right?

• Like 1

There is no right or wrong with a 2 lens kit. The real problem comes when you up to a 3 lens kit and you might wish your first two were now a bit different.... in,my case if I have 35 & 75 cons but if I was able to buy all 3 at one time I would have gone 28 50 90.

There is no right or wrong with a 2 lens kit. The real problem comes when you up to a 3 lens kit and you might wish your first two were now a bit different.... in,my case if I have 35 & 75 cons but if I was able to buy all 3 at one time I would have gone 28 50 90.

I started with a 35-75 two lens kit, and found myself gravitating to 28-50.

Three lenses will depend on whether I'm adding to the long end or the wide end.  As there is little difference between 50 & 75 or 75 & 90, the long end usually sorts itself out.  So, depending on where I was going, I'd either take 21-35-75 (a very useful range) or 28-50-90 and then be wanting to add a 21 ...

First world problems.

Unlike MarkP and others, while I liked the AA 75/2, I couldn't really gel with it - missed focus with the short focus throw and flare seemed to be my constant companions.  I switched it for the AA 90/2, and for some odd reasons had no focusing issues at all, despite its razor thin depth of field.  I then got the 75 Summilux (GAS), and I am completely sold.

The lenses which I think go really nicely to gather are the 21 Summilux, Noctilux and 75 Summilux - it leaves a big gap in the middle, which I'd probably fill with the 28.  So, 21-28-50-75 and a big bag and a porter ...

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 1

There is no right or wrong with a 2 lens kit. The real problem comes when you up to a 3 lens kit and you might wish your first two were now a bit different.... .

I felt the same at one point, but realized 4 lens kit isn't bad either ;-)

135mm APO and 24mm Elmar get along with 35&75 even though the bag is a small Billingham Hadley.

Edited by mirekti
  • Like 1