Visioflex EVF2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I use the Olympus EVF2 as an alternative to live view on my M 240 with my 21mm. 

Frankly speaking I can't see a benefit of using it with a 35mm or 50mm but perhaps that is me missing something :-)

Have you tried to focus a Noctilux at full opening? 

And look at Thorsten Overgaard. Nokti at 0,95 and EVF2 seems to be his prefered setup.

—Eric

Have you tried to focus a Noctilux at full opening? 

And look at Thorsten Overgaard. Nokti at 0,95 and EVF2 seems to be his prefered setup.

—Eric

In response to your question - no I haven't.

But thank you for your comment - if I ever will call a Noctilux my own I will remember it.

That said if you go back to the original post you might notice that the question was asked in conjunction with 35mm / 50mm Summilux lenses  ;)

• Like 2

Can't use R` lenses on the Visoflex iii anyway....

I should have been clearer.

The 400 and 560 Telyt 6.8 lenses have both a Visoflex rear tube and an R rear tube. They can be used on both Visoflex an R. but you know that ...

When I use the R tube with the Telyts and the R to M Leica adapter, I sometimes use the EVF2

When I use the same lenses with the Visoflex rear tube I use the Leitz 14167 Visoflex to R and then the R to M adapter.

Sorry to have confused ...

I bought an M240 for the same (and only) reason I've bought Leica's for 45 years:  it's rangefinder.  If I wanted TTL viewing I'd use an SLR, or at the very least a much-less expensive EVIL camera.  All EVF's thus far are like watching a monitor through a keyhole. For me it presents an unmistakably "electronic" look which I can't seem to ignore, and it blocks my creative process.  YMMV of course. 

That said I have an Olympus EVF2 for each of my M240's and may pick up another as a backup as I presume they are no longer in production.  It has it's limited uses. 

When traveling with all three 12, 15 and 21mm lenses the EVF obviates the need for me to carry and switch between 3 separate brightline finders.    It is also useful when using an OUFRO extension tube behind a 50 or 90mm lens for quick-and-dirty extreme closeups.  The 90-degree pivoting is useful for low-angle shots, shooting above or around an obstacle, or sneaky candids. 

To the OP though, unless the guy is selling it to you for the same price as you can get an Olympus finder, I'd pass on it.  If you find in using the camera that you have a real need for the EVF you will always be able to pick one up.  Given the M246 monochrom uses the same EVF, it will stay in the catalogue at least until the next monochrom, even if the next M uses a new finder.

• Like 1

I find the refresh rate too slow compared to other LV cameras. It has its uses but not as frequent as one would expect. I find that I can get more accurate focus and faster with the rangefinder but for precise work on tripod (which I rarely do) it's invaluable.

The problem with using the Olympus VF-2 is that Olympus has long stopped selling this viewfinder. You probably will not be able to procure a new one with warranty. If you skip the warranty, the Leica EVF-2 can also be bought used in mint condition for far less than 300 (€).

The current Olympus options are: VF-3 at lower resolution and size and VF-4 at higher resolution. The VF-4 is also not class leading anymore and Olympus has released the EM-5 Mark II without the necessary port. I think, they are about to change the interface to something similar to the Leica T and X113 (pins in hotshoe) and release a new viewfinder with the next generation of Pen cameras. 

I have used the Olympus on the X2 and I am now using the Leica EVF-2 on the X Vario. Unfortunately, I don't own the X2 combination anymore, so I can only tell from memory: the colors are distinctly different between LCD and viewfinder. As far as I remember, this was worse with the Olympus and is now better with the Leica I am using at the moment. Whether this is production tolerance or a different default setting, I don't know. In any case, the color balance of the viewfinder can be adjusted via the camera. I was, however, never able to get the Olympus on the X2 to show the same color balance as the LCD and finally gave up and used the optical brightline finder instead. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

One thing that has not been mentioned is that you can set the EVF to show actual exposure.   I have found this very useful in tricky lighting situations.  You can work in Manual mode and see immediately the changes in the image from changing f-stop or shutter speed.

• Like 2

The problem with using the Olympus VF-2 is that Olympus has long stopped selling this viewfinder. You probably will not be able to procure a new one with warranty. If you skip the warranty, the Leica EVF-2 can also be bought used in mint condition for far less than 300 (€).

I can't speak for elsewhere but in Australia is the purchase date which sets the warranty period not the manufacture date. There are some conditions but since an EVF2 has no moving parts I don't think it would be an issue.

I can get an EVF2 new in Sydney, quite easily.

Gordon

Just picked up this thread and I am a heavy EVF user on the Leica but most of the time when I am using my 35 or 50 Lux, I won't use it. I do, however, use it extensively when using my 135mm lens and 35mm 1.2 when close focus.

I find it valuable for critical focus with peaking assist. I use the Olly EVF 2 instead of the Leica because I so happen to use Olly cameras too so why waste anther £400 for another rebranded EVF? It's fine and despite it's relatively low resolution by today's standard, it's usable. I love the tilting function as I love to shoot at waste level. I am a pro Leica M photographer for weddings and travel so you can quote me on that.

I still prefer the OVF rangefinder of the M but at times, when I need to go very low down on the ground, this is pretty good!

I also noticed the last question about the rendering. Well, it shouldn't affect anything... why? There's a lag because the shutter curtain has to be up to allow for Live View so when take a shot, it comes back down and goes back up again. You just need to get use to the timing. Hence, for street and spontaneous shots, I don't use it. Plus, there's a huge delay in between shots when using the EVF or Live View for that matter. If you need some quick succession shots or continuous shots, then don't bother. It's not as good when compare to ANY modern mirrorless systems. For single frame photos, yes!

Hope I have answered your query.

Cheers

Jimmy

www.facebook.com/FotosByJ

talktog.wordpress.com

www.jimmycheng.photography

• Like 2

EVF2 is a very useful accessory (mine is the Olympus - bought new) : indeed, if you have only 35 and 50 the usage can be someway limited : but you say that both are Summiluxes : personally  I  find it useful with 50 at 1,4/2 - sometime and when you have TIME (RF is definitely quickier); with other focals like 21/18 its usefulness increases, and with long focals is a giant step-up even for people who, like me, had years and years of Visoflex II/III usage

It's quality of view and tech specs have been permanently discussed/criticized from its announcement... but personally I don't care so much... it IS useful and a welcome addition to M accessories, full stop.

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 5

I understand that Olympus EV2 will work with the new Leica M-P 240 - will Olympus EV3 work as well?

NO, I believe it is the VF-2 only, nothing newer. I also got the rubber eye cup which helps immensely in bright or side lit situations.

• 1 year later...

I've been trolling for RF vertical adjustment advise (1st time out of alignment) and landed on this old thread

Thank you for this:  EVF for 135mm - D'oh!  Can't believe I didn't think of that - have been [needlessly] holding a negative bias against the EVF.  Prob good for 21mm too!

That said, just put up a new collection - all Summi 50mm ver 4

Take a look pls  Tuscan Glimpses

I've been trolling for RF vertical adjustment advise (1st time out of alignment) and landed on this old thread

Thank you for this: EVF for 135mm - D'oh! Can't believe I didn't think of that - have been [needlessly] holding a negative bias against the EVF. Prob good for 21mm too!

That said, just put up a new collection - all Summi 50mm ver 4

Take a look pls Tuscan Glimpses

Not only for long lenses, EVF is immensely useful for adopted MF lenses from variety of manufacturers. It opens the door to many usage beyond M's RF coupled range. Yes, the quality could be better from modern standard but it does the job.

• Like 2

I'll keep playing around with it.  Did some tests with a 135.  Turns out I'm more accurate and can hold steadier at lower speeds with the naked eye. 

Good point about other mfr's lenses tho - thanks!

BTW, I did like your flickr pictures. Windows was my favorite. 

• Like 1