Visioflex EVF2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi L-forum team,

This week I bought the new M-P and the seller offered me the Visioflex EVF2 as an extra gadget. But I did not buy it as I was unsure if I would use it. This is what I read at the Leica homepage:

"This electronic viewfinder is available as an optional accessory for the Leica M. With a resolution of 1.4 megapixels and 90° swivel action for capturing images from unusual angles, it displays all significant exposure parameters. Thus it allows precise control of composition particularly in very bright light. Efficient focusing with Leica R-Lenses adapted to the Leica M is also possible."

The  90 degree swivel action is something I can image I will use once a month but is this it. I do not think I will buy any R-lenses. I know some of you will now say: "but do not buy it then". But like with the iPad when it came people wondered why it is being released as it is not needed and look what it became. There I am thinking maybe I have a need but I do not know of it yet!

How do you use your Visioflex? Do you find it useful?

NOTE! I have a 35 & 50 Summilux with the M-P and shooting mostly street photos, portraits and occasionally landscapes.

You can see more here: www.imagements.com

Hi L-forum team,

This week I bought the new M-P and the seller offered me the Visioflex EVF2 as an extra gadget. But I did not buy it as I was unsure if I would use it. This is what I read at the Leica homepage:

"This electronic viewfinder is available as an optional accessory for the Leica M. With a resolution of 1.4 megapixels and 90° swivel action for capturing images from unusual angles, it displays all significant exposure parameters. Thus it allows precise control of composition particularly in very bright light. Efficient focusing with Leica R-Lenses adapted to the Leica M is also possible."

The  90 degree swivel action is something I can image I will use once a month but is this it. I do not think I will buy any R-lenses. I know some of you will now say: "but do not buy it then". But like with the iPad when it came people wondered why it is being released as it is not needed and look what it became. There I am thinking maybe I have a need but I do not know of it yet!

How do you use your Visioflex? Do you find it useful?

NOTE! I have a 35 & 50 Summilux with the M-P and shooting mostly street photos, portraits and occasionally landscapes.

You can see more here: www.imagements.com

I use mine on occasion for wider lenses that 28mm such as the WATE when I don't want to use the frankenfinder. I can still focus with the 90 and optical viewfinder so I don't use it for that. 

• Like 1

The Noctilux is difficult to focus at f/0.95 without the EVF2 as is the APO-Telyt 3.4/135mm. It is also useful for framing wide-angles.

If you do any macro photography the 90° swivel is useful if you work close to the ground and have difficulties to see the LCD monitor properly.

So yes, the Visioflex EVF2 is an useful addition to the M camera.

–Eric

• Like 2

But hunt down an Olympus EVF2. Same unit. Half the price.

Gordon

Yes, that's right, I think you can get it even cheaper since the Olympus version (VF-2) is out-listed nowadays...Anyway - the modern "Visoflex" is a must on the M(240), really helps...

/Anders

I use the Olympus EVF2 as an alternative to live view on my M 240 with my 21mm. 

Frankly speaking I can't see a benefit of using it with a 35mm or 50mm but perhaps that is me missing something :-)

I find it completely disorientating how the VF2 renders colours completely different to the cameras own LCD. The built in LCD appears to be a much higher quality display device. It is debatable whether it offers a better experience than live view.

Edited by Mornnb

I find it completely disorientating how the VF2 renders colours completely different to the cameras own LCD. The built in LCD appears to be a much higher quality display device. It is debatable whether it offers a better experience than live view.

When you have LR to develop, what does it matter what it looks like in EVF or LCD. Surely it can be altered after the event?

• Like 2

I use it with the 180mm 2.8 R lens, and when I use the 400/560  R Telyts, bypassing using the Visoflex III

Can't use R` lenses on the Visoflex iii anyway....

It's much better, unless the camera is on a tripod or other support. With the rear screen you are only supporting the camera with two hands. With the Olympus/Visoflex, you can hold the camera up to your eye, making the camera much more stable. Kinda silly using multi-thousand dollar lenses and then not holding the camera steady.

Also, with the Olympus/Visoflex you can press the camera against your chest and view down, which I find even more stable.

I didn't think I would use it much, but I snatched a Olympus version at less than half the price just to try it out.  I found it actually quite handy.  I use it on 50 Lux quite often.  It definitely helps with critical focus at wide open.  It is also useful for shooting macro. I use old nikkor with a cheap adaptor, and it really becomes a useful tool.  LV is good, but, useless in bright sun.  If you can find a Oly one at good price, I would go for it.  Leica branded is exactly the same and I wouldn't pay up just for the name.

I could care less how the LCD or EVF render colors. Anyone using those two methods is shooting them self in the foot. I do care how the camera renders though........

• Like 2

I don't have a Leica M, but use the Oly EVF2 on an Olympus m4/3 body. What I first thought was a total waste, I found is an outstanding aid in achieving critical focus, especially small or distant objects.