Does your M grab people's attention?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It's three and a half decades ago now, but allow me to post this:

As high school pupil in a small German village I did several jobs in holiday time to become able to afford my very first Leica: R3  Safari with Safari-Summicron.

School was over and we went to different towns for university.

Some times later I did a visit to Cologne, of course looking for equipment shops in the Photokina-town.

I did take a stop in the pedestrian zone, millions of people walking by.

Then a cry: "Hey, Thomas, that's You!" - A school compagnion did recognise -na, not me, but the green R3 hanging in front of my paunch. "That's the same cam as Thomas has" was his first thought, some more moments it took to recognise the owner of the cam...

only R, but nice to mention about. :)

Thomas

Edited by duckrider
  • Like 4

I would agree that young people are more likely to comment. I think that there is a more general interest in design and all things analogue (even if it is a digital camera).

I live in Sydney, and this city is full of tourists and cameras.

The camera very obviously draws less attention than a Canon DSLR, to most people it's some small tourist camera, it is completely invisible in public which is great for street photography. Where everyone looks at a Canon DSLR with almost a drool and sees a big professional camera that looks expensive.

For people in the know, other photographers that is, they treat the Leica like a Porsche sports car. "Nice camera mate!" It does provoke more comments, and Sydney is a notoriously introverted city where people rarely speak to each other in public.

Edited by Mornnb
  • Like 2

In 2011 our apartment was burgled in Boston, the door was forced with a crowbar. The thief took my old Nikon F4, a Pentax 645n and my longest telephotos, a 180mm/2.8 AF Nikkor and a 300mm/4 P645 lens, and the smaller lenses that were on the bodies, all from my ex-darkroom (a walk-in closet). He also opened my tansu cabinet, where I stored smaller cameras, but didn't take my Leica M7 a la carte or my old M4-P, or any of my little Leica and Zeiss lenses He just left them there. He went for size, not quality. Never got the Nikon and Pentax stuff back, but it was insured, and I got replacements, including a D800E. My husband's laptop, and my Movado watch were also stolen, but were recovered the next day by Brookline police, but the guy they caught claimed no knowledge of the cameras. He went to jail for two years for "receiving stolen goods."

Most people who ask about my carrying my Leica M9-P or my new M-P think they are old film cameras. Until I show them the back. Very rare that anyone asks about them.

• Like 4

about one a year on average her in the UK ........ and they fall into 2 distinct groups .....

the extremely elderly (well .... older than me...) who think I am using a traditional film Leica they recall from their youth and are very confused to discover it is digital ....

or the middle aged who think it is a Praktica or some cheap Russian equivalent.... which suits me fine. 

I have only bumped into 2 people in 5 years with a Leica ..... the last was a photography student at a big Photo Exhibition in Birmingham ........ rare beasts, these Leica folk .....  :mellow:

........ rare beasts, these Leica folk .....  :mellow:

True.

I have to admit that I struggle a bit with other people's perceptions of Leica cameras and Leica users. 

In my photography club which has 150+ members, I am the one and only Leica M user.  I try to educate others to the fact that if you are willing to shoot film, there are minty M camera bodies and lenses to be had on the used market that will sell for about the same cost as a prosumer level DSLR with a lens of equal quality.  Somehow this never sticks in people's heads.  They see the red dot and immediately imagine caviar, Lambroghinis and Gulfstream 650s and yachts.

Some proclaim Leica M owners to be "rich," whatever that means.  Believe me, I am most decidedly not "rich" by any stretch of the imagination.  Some people no doubt relegate M camera owners to the "rich asshole" compartment (but don't make comments of this nature to your face).  Others put off a weird vibe - as if being around an M owner causes them some kind of discomfort; I'm still trying to figure out that one.  Never mind that some of the Canon adherants who are wildlife shooters have Canon's flagship DSLR body and the EF 500mm f/4 IS or the EF 600mm f/4 IS to go with it.  For some reason, that kind of expenditure is thought to be within reason and the cost of those items is not discomforting to others.  Go figure.

All the above stereotyping of M camera owners  - and that is really what it is, stereotyping - causes me to be very private about my M camera and lenses.  A few close friends in the club know that I work with M gear, but I go out of my way to keep my gear choices to myself.  I use my M-P and M-4P and let people think whatever nonsense they may conjure up in their heads. 

At the end of the day, I can see no sense in basing my camera choices on "what will other people think?"  After all, I spent my money on my M gear, not theirs. :p

Edited by Carlos Danger
  • Like 7

Advertisement (gone after registration)

True.

I have to admit that I struggle a bit with other people's perceptions of Leica cameras and Leica users. 

In my photography club which has 150+ members, I am the one and only Leica M user.  I try to educate others to the fact that if you are willing to shoot film, there are minty M camera bodies and lenses to be had on the used market that will sell for about the same cost as a prosumer level DSLR with a lens of equal quality.  Somehow this never sticks in people's heads.  They see the red dot and immediately imagine caviar, Lambroghinis and Gulfstream 650s and yachts.

Some proclaim Leica M owners to be "rich," whatever that means.  Believe me, I am most decidedly not "rich" by any stretch of the imagination.  Some people no doubt relegate M camera owners to the "rich asshole" compartment (but don't make comments of this nature to your face).  Others put off a weird vibe - as if being around an M owner causes them some kind of discomfort; I'm still trying to figure out that one.  Never mind that some of the Canon adherants who are wildlife shooters have Canon's flagship DSLR body and the EF 500mm f/4 IS or the EF 600mm f/4 IS to go with it.  For some reason, that kind of expenditure is thought to be within reason and the cost of those items is not discomforting to others.  Go figure.

All the above stereotyping of M camera owners  - and that is really what it is, stereotyping - causes me to be very private about my M camera and lenses.  A few close friends in the club know that I work with M gear, but I go out of my way to keep my gear choices to myself.  I use my M-P and M-4P and let people think whatever nonsense they may conjure up in their heads. 

At the end of the day, I can see no sense in basing my camera choices on "what will other people think?"  After all, I spent my money on my M gear, not theirs. :p

I agree with your comments and observations,

However, I, for one, did not "choose" Leica because of what other people think.  It was because of past experience and a comfort level.  And a feeling that I could get the type of images I like with this system.  Having said that, it is valid that some other people notice my Leica as different or noteworthy.  After all, it is.  I know that better than them!

• Like 1

While out shooting with a friend who carries a Nikon body and 70-200mm he always gets comments about his camera while I go unnoticed with my M.

Another friend while backpacking commented on how crazy expensive the Leica Noctilux is, never once realizing I was shooting the lens exclusively for the entire week, and felt greatly relieved he didn't notice and mention it to my wife.  

If people do notice, I am not noticing it, making me think it is undetected, however how is one to know for sure?    

• Like 2

I agree with your comments and observations,

However, I, for one, did not "choose" Leica because of what other people think.  It was because of past experience and a comfort level.  And a feeling that I could get the type of images I like with this system.  Having said that, it is valid that some other people notice my Leica as different or noteworthy.  After all, it is.  I know that better than them!

Same here. 

From the time that my first M camera and lens arrived at my doorstep, Leica has done a couple of things that no SLR system was able to do:

1- The M system has increased the satisfaction and enjoyment I experience from the process of making photographs

2 - The M system has allowed me to create images that for one reason or another cannot be created with DSLR cameras

Everyone talks about the stunning image quality of M lenses, the way M lenses render, the shallow depth of field the lenses produce, the quietness of the camera's shutters, the small size and light weight of the cameras and lenses, the discreet nature of M cameras and other strengths of the M system, and all of these are valid points, which I agree with.  That having been said, my overriding reasons for becoming an M system convert are contained in the two points mentioned above.

• Like 6

As I went through a check-in at the Trinidad airport, the clerk, a middle-aged woman handled the Hasselblad SWC with great appreciation calling it a perfect, minimalist old camera. I appreciated that view.

Today almost no person my age recognizes the Super Ikonta 6x9, (See Steve Gandy's page) and it gets a pass at any venue. The Super Ikonta 6x4.5 is fantastic, the smallest of its format. I keep one at home, one in the car and sometimes another on the bike.

Leica M? Nobody cares, and I like that.

• Like 2

I actually get more comments about my Ona bags than I do about the cameras I'm carrying. Occasionally, someone will notice I'm loading or winding film and ask. The black Monochrom is just a small black brick to mostly everyone (which is good).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

At college a lot of my fellow students notice it (and I expected it, being in an art school) and drool and sometimes take photos with it with varying success since I have to show them how to use a RF first :-)  but on the street its generally never noticed... only when I'm sitting down for a coffee and the camera is on the table, then I'll get men - generally around the 50 mark - notice it and then ask me questions and share their stories of having had one or known someone who had a Lieca such as their father or uncle.

I imagine that the M-P is more discreet but the M6, M7 or M with its red dot does get noticed... and perhaps it's also the fact I'm a woman too. Go figure!

• Like 2

While I have immense pride in ownership of my Leicas over many years, I am now more than happy for people not to notice my camera nowadays. Hence my choice of black M-P without red dot. This aids my surreptitious photography without interruption. Chrome gets noticed before black finish which is fine for those who enjoy being seen with an expensive camera. But black is tone-down in extreme and serves my purpose well. It also avoids shiny reflections in windows or mirrors or just blazing sunshine. Choice is important and I understand those who enjoy attention of others.

• Like 1

When I'm home and on the streets (San Francisco), people make comments all the time when they see my MM or MP hanging off my neck.  What suprises me most is that I get a lot of younger people (mid to late 20's) that say stuff like, "I like your Leica".  I'm amazed at how many younger people can actually recognize my cameras as being Leicas. 

When people closer to my own age comment it's ussualy about the  use of film and I can tell they are fondly remembering their own experience with film cameras. 

• Like 1

No one ever noticed my M6 (black), M3 (chrome), Canon P (chrome), Hexar RF (black), or M 240 (chrome). My M8 (black with black dot) attracted some attention from some older pervs wearing Tilly hats and carrying Fogg bags. Oh yeah, they had Artist and Artist and Artisan straps and funny red pushes on their cameras.

With the 240 in particular, everyone thinks it is an X100.

My own attention is drawn much more by hats, photo vests, cameras on neck straps (esp. bouncing off bellies), and other obvious things -- than what someone is holding. Unless that something looks like a gun and not a camera.

If you go to a strange place, act like you know what you are doing. That's 90% of the way toward doing anything you want.

Dante

P.S.  The next time you are in public, watch the unconscious glances that occur when two men with big cameras pass by each other.

• Like 2

I've always preferred the silver chrome M cameras because that's the association of my youth. Cameras were silver, with black vulcanite. Black cameras were pro Nikons and attracted attention. Ordinary cameras were silver. 

Three occasions of being noticed stand out. The first was when my camera was new out of the box. I was excited, but terribly self-conscious about it. I got onto the ferry home, and there was one other passenger there. He looked across and said "Hey, that's an M9, isn't it?"  This was 2010, so they were still very new. Rather than being flushed with recognition, I felt crushed and embarrassed. An odd reaction, I put down to guilt over the price. 

The second was last year in New York. We were just going into Central Café in Pershing Square, and a man in his 60s followed me in. He was very polite and wanted to know about my Leica. He was very surprised when I told him it was a Monochrom - silver chrome?  It looks very nice!  He then asked me if I used a red filter with the Noctilux, and we talked about that, then he said thank you and left. Genuinely charming - perhaps someone here?

The last was more recent, and no less gratifying - a young guy in a cafe here in Wanaka. The sun was shining and I had my camera on the table in front of me. A young guy in his 20s said, Wow, a Leica!  I want to get one of those one day. I let him look at it. He was very appreciative. I told him he could get an M3 in good condition for a very reasonable price. He looked surprised - I rather like to think he found one ...

I'm less bothered these days about what people think as I love my Leicas. I rather hope someone recognises my M Edition 60, and acknowledges the fact that I'm using it for what it was intended to do. I realise that is very unlikely. At a photography trip a year or so ago, I attracted a lot of scorn from another photographer. He had a 5D Mk2, and huge AF tele - one of those amazingly fast white things. He was mouthing off at how he was shooting 2,000 frames a day or some such nonsense. For some reason, my braided leather strap bothered the hell out of him. Frankly, he looked ridiculous to my eyes. Not sure how he felt when more of my images (taken with my M9P and AA Summicron 90, with its manual focus) were published in the trip book than his perfectly focused, but fundamentally dull images. 

These days, I don't mind being recognised with my cameras.  People either think I'm odd, quaint, or they know what they're looking at and they're genuinely appreciative. 

Cheers

John

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 10

It's a tough break following John but I'll take a shot at it.

A few folks have commented, mostly "is that an old film camera?" with no or little conception of Leica. Chalk it up to the "Rangefinder Effect" for those that remember them back in the day.

One of my favorite incognito times was in a neighboring farm town, often noted for the number of wealthy folks per capita. My wife and I had struck up a conversation with the event coordinator and photographer for the evening's farmers market. I snagged several keepers with my M9 and newly acquired Prerar 35mm while the event photographer with his backpack full of L-Glass remained absolutely clueless. Perfect.  :)

My hometown used to be similar to the above paragraph and very Mayberry RFD. It's now more of a Hispanic, farm worker town but it still has its charm. One of the way's the city has adapted is to host a farmer's market/street fair on Friday evenings. Very colorful in multiple dimensions, like a third world country in central Kalifornia. I've been shooting this event with regularity for several years while embracing the culture and enjoying the Mariachi’s. Two weeks ago I had my black M, taped up with Noctilux as usual, rarely noticed or paid any attention. My wife and I were shocked as a young man passed us and then turned around and enquired, "Is that a Leica?" Go figure...

• Like 2

People sometimes notice and not always in a way you want them to.

Usually people ask if my 240 is an old film camera. I show them the LCD and we have a laugh.

Every once and a while I'll run in to another photographer and they will recognize what it is and again, no big deal

Leicas have always been expensive, but I never really had a lot of worry with my film bodies. They look beat up and not worth stealing and I carried them openly from the nicest to the seediest places I've been to. 10 years ago the only people who knew what they were looking at were other photographers. To most people they were just old fashioned looking cameras, often referred to 'your nice antique'. 

But ever since Leica turned in to a luxury brand things have changed. It doesn't happen often, but I do sometimes encounter people, who are not photographers and know that it's a very expensive camera, with a very expensive lens attached to it. And its not always the type of person you want to notice. Maybe that's just Los Angeles, where everyone is very brand conscious.

Black tape over the red dot and big 'M' almost completely solves the problem and then it's just another black compact. If anything gives it away, it's the worn lens that doesn't match the clean body.  I'm not paranoid about, but I do try to be a little more low key with the 240, than I was with the film bodies.

But I will say this much, I worried a lot more wandering around with my D700 and getting knocked over in a sleazy area, than I ever have with the 240. As it has been said several times in the thread, for the most part people think it's just a cheap compact and that's fine by me.

Edited by thrid
  • Like 1

As an elderly woman I am completely invisible to the rest of the world, which is really nice.

I have never once had a comment about my cameras, it seems they are as invisible as I am, thank goodness.

However over period of time several sharp eyed woman have picked up on the little red dot on the front of my Ona Berlin bag

they point out that the covering of the little button must have fallen off, and "what a shame, as it looks like an expensive bag....they just don't make things the way they used to....." 

That camera bag is just too flashy!

Edited by platypus
  • Like 6