Does your M grab people's attention?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In Etretat France I was making photos of the sunset, when a frenchman talked to me, saying in French: That's a very good camera" , pointing to my M 240. Then he turned to his wife to proudly explain his knowledge. Always nice to hear " Leica " in French. He said to his wife: C'est une "Lay-ee-ca" .

Still wondering why the French call it like this...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In NY three days, and I've had more comment on my SL than since I bought it. First in Central Park, a young mother pointed it out to her son "look at that nice camera"; second a nice man paasing on the street "is than an SL? Nice"; numerous others, then a guy in the cafe at MoMa "the strap looks older than the camera". All complimentary.

I'm surprised it draws so much attention. Lots of cameras here. Undoubtedly, though, M cameras carry a chic, the SL lacks.

Once I was shooting in Death Valley with my M9 (ex) and noticed a young chap carrying similar camera and said something like "you also like shooting with digital Leica". He responded by saying "it's a film camera". Before I could think of something smart to say, he wondered off.

• Like 1

Jmahto, snubbed by an almost kindred spirit--you'd think he'd be sympathetic to the case of mistaken identity.

When I was taking some pics of my neice with my M3 a while back, my brother, looking perplexed, said "why does your camera look like a Leica." So I handed it to him to look at and try out.

Sadly, I think he still doesn't have a satisfactory answer to his question.

Edited by Brenton C

Quote: "Sadly, this is quite common among certain camera folk. In the camera club I've been a member of for a year, I avoided any mention of the equipment I use for photos I've shown or posted on their forums. When asked, my response has always led to comments about cost and the characteristics of Leica owners."

Unfortunately this is also true of the small handmade jewel of an astronomical telescope called a Questar. The same attitudes. I guess it's just a human trait.

Edited by hendriphile

Well, it wasn't my Leica M which attracted attention (though it does happen from time to time) but a friend in Scotland sent me this item from Friday's issue of The Herald newspaper. 

John Henderson, a keen amateur photographer, was taking pictures in Partick with his trusty old Leica camera when a passing child asked his mother what John had in his hand. Says John: "When she replied it was a camera, her child asked, 'Can’t he afford a smartphone?'"

• Like 11