Does your M grab people's attention?

When I was with my wife's family at a function they all looked at my M-P 240 and said that was the camera they wanted used rather than their iPhones. That doesn't amount to much, but nobody had any idea what I was using because it is discreet. I like discreet. That's why I sold my M 240 and replaced it with the M-P 240. Not having the badge is a bonus. Anyway, they all loved the shots I took ... which is a real bonus because after 50 years of photography I still struggle.

• Like 2

My Safari M-P has gotten the attention of one person so far, and he was another photographer.  Most people don't even realize or notice that I am carrying a camera, let alone that it is a Leica - which is the way I prefer it.

Edited by Carlos Danger
  • Like 2

It's not the camera (other than large format), it's the person.  I've used an M of some variety for 4 decades, including the new iteration.  When I want to be discreet, hardly anybody notices or says a thing, and when I want to mingle, they might or might not comment... typically not.  And that's the same way it's been with lots of other cameras, even up to medium format.  Different story when I used my wooden view cameras, though…lots of curiosity and interaction.

The logo has nothing to do with it IMO.

Jeff

• Like 4

I like it when those who think they know my cameras, and see my silver M240 with black 35FLE  think I still using my old-n-trusty Digliux 2.

And just to mess with them..... I still do use my Digilux 2 

• Like 1

When somebody does notice, they are usually surprised that I would actually take that "expensive" camera out on the street and use it. Even my father-in-law could not imagine I used my Leicas' instead of leaving them on the shelf.

• Like 2

Once maybe 20 years ago at a US national monument, an elderly Japanese tourist in a group ( he was carrying a 50's Japanese rangefinder in a brown ERC) pointed at my M4 and smiled and nodded admiringly.  Another time maybe 15 years ago I was walking around in Prague with an M6 and a young man stopped and told me he was a street photographer and Leica was his dream camera.  And once in I think 2007 I was walking around Paris with my M8 and saw another guy with one, and I went up to him and began conversing to him in French.  He apologized in broken French that he was American and asked if I spoke English.  I said me too and yes, a little ;)

So funny to see this thread!  And timely.

This past weekend was my first shooting "on the street" in downtown Chicago with my new Safari.  I had at least 5 or 6 people say to me, "Nice camera, Dude" or something equivalent! 

So much for being discreet.

For that matter, though, I frequently get comments about my Canon 5dMkIII, too. 

You know the type of comments:  "Nice camera....you must take good photos!"

I thought there would be less with the Leica....

Anyways, almost always (and whenever possible), when I hear someone  make a comment about my camera, I stop and leverage that into a photo.  For example, "Since you like my camera, maybe you'll like me to take your photo?!"  Works 100% of the time.

• Like 2

So funny to see this thread!  And timely.

This past weekend was my first shooting "on the street" in downtown Chicago with my new Safari.  I had at least 5 or 6 people say to me, "Nice camera, Dude" or something equivalent! 

So much for being discreet.

For that matter, though, I frequently get comments about my Canon 5dMkIII, too. 

You know the type of comments:  "Nice camera....you must take good photos!"

I thought there would be less with the Leica....

Anyways, almost always (and whenever possible), when I hear someone  make a comment about my camera, I stop and leverage that into a photo.  For example, "Since you like my camera, maybe you'll like me to take your photo?!"  Works 100% of the time.

Want to avoid all that unwanted attention?  Put olive green tape over the screw on the front.

Edited by Carlos Danger
  • Like 1

Want to avoid all that unwanted attention?  Put olive green tape over the screw on the front.

Who said it was unwanted attention?  I think it looks great and I'm proud of it. 

Though it would be nice if it was a green screw!  Haha

• Like 1

I have a 5D Mark III. Everyone looks at it with list but people never make remarks they're not that usual.

With the Leica most people completely ignore it. Though in the know say 'Nice camera mate!' and desire to chat about it, people treat it a bit like a Porsche car.