New film from Foma

MSB

Advertisement (gone after registration)

19871748794_4f8fefe219_z.jpg

Retropan 320 Soft E.I. 640 in Diafine 2-bath. You can only "hope" for a speed enhancing effect of 2/3F stop with this combo. Summer in Holland is also a bit warmer now: 25,5C film development. In fact not a problem for Diafine which should be in the range of 21-28C.

Unfortunately not a good combination. There is hardly any speed increase, so the end result is an underexposed negative and loosing 3 zones in the highlights.

Measurement in the test chart and densitometer are only confirming this. NOT recommended!
A pity for my last original Diafine BKA 2x950ml/1 Quart.

I have to try something else for more speed for this Retropan 320 soft Foma film.

The camera doesn't help: This time my Leica M7 + Elmarit F/2,8-21mm.

Edited by fotohuis
  • Like 1

Some more from the first test roll:

Highlight of the sun on the metal band seems to have produced some halation, but not burnt out, a bit strange this.

20519659935_b21e842916_z.jpg

Less extreme light and the grain is less intrusive here.

20331649348_15c5911986_z.jpg

This Himalayan Balsam in deep shade shows off the "soft" part of the name while retaining nice tone separation.

20332950659_534663a0a4_z.jpg

XTOL 7mins @73F Leica M2 50mm CSonnar f1.5 ZM

• Like 1

Pyrocat HD 5 min pre-soak then 15mins semi stand @72F

Leica M2 C Sonnar 50mm f1.5 (keeping the same lens for the time being)

No hint of a dye coming off in the 5min pre-soak.

Takes the stain very well.

Larger files on the Flickr as below in sig. and new Flickr group:

https://www.flickr.com/groups/2835476@N25/

The old Preston Royal Infirmary (UK)

Evenly lit, no extremes, nice and sharp with the Pyrocat HD as Semi stand but "here comes the grain again" (Apologies to the Eurythmics).

20535889382_af09527313_z.jpg

Woodlands

20544664805_cc5c0e6eb5_z.jpg

Woodlands crop re-scanned

20551226691_817f32ccee_z.jpg

Grain, yes but a very regular grain and a tack sharp result with the Pyrocat-HD (from Sandy King). Is this an E.I. 320 result?

Indeed Sandy King deserves much praise for this formulation.

It is @320, I had made the error of "pixel" peeping, when viewed at normal size the results are very good. I will post some more from that roll soon on the Flickr rather than flooding here.

I may try some HC110 next but whenever I use the Pyrocat HD I wonder why I ever change developer. The stock solutions (home brew) are 10 months old now, stored cool and dark, and have no loss of potency, they are clear and colourless, another little experiment.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You can keep Pyrocat-HD and Pyrocat-HDC at least 2 years without loss of strenght. Only the ingredients in powder are not very healthful to make. I am offering these developers from Sandy King in my program but they are made in Ukraine under lab conditions, put in liquid and then shipped.   Even the pictograms according GHS are made etc.

The biggest disadvantage for me is that every film gives another type of staining which is not working well with the Heiland Split Grade system in printing. Of course you have this with almost any other Pyro developer too. But you are right: Pyrocat-HD is in staining type developers one of the best. And this first result  in combination with the Retropan 320 is really great!

• Like 2

I have the advantage of being a pharmacist with access to ventilated fume cupboards etc for making it up, and decent containers to store it in. I can see the printing that way would need work for each film, even visually they vary, as I commented this Retropan does take the stain well, some films look almost "normal" in comparison.

I forgot you showed the HC110, i have some Harvey 777 in use but was hesitating to use it for this as there is not much about in Europe and it is not "fair" to test with non standard developers. A friend sends it from Canada as Bluegrass will not export. 

Edited by chris_livsey

Harvey 777 is an ultra fine grain type developer containing para-Phenylene Diamine, stuff staining like hell and very poisoning too. I am offering the (Hans) Windisch W665 instead, using ortho-Phenylene Diamine, less staining and less toxid too. But using these type developers you can start with half box speed. Further for the best result you need some rippening of the developer by a piece of old film before starting.The same is valid for Perceptol or CG-512/Rollei Low Speed, resp. Ilford, Uddo Rafay. 1+0 or 1+1 half box speed. Tomorrow I will do the Microphen test.

Another day another developer, I tried FX-28 a formula from Geofrey Crawley commercially available.

For time I took a stab in the dark, no pun, well an educated guess based on previous experience, of 8 mins.

Seems fine, again rated at iso320. The leaves that are very pale are quite yellow and certainly jump out from the green.

20444874980_719b9d3637_c.jpg

This one shows the low contrast nicely I think, and the grain, which doesn't vary much so far although the Pyrocat I think was a tad "tighter":

20606669086_f14f657c44_c.jpg

More on the Flickr as usual.

FX-39 is normally used for modern technology films like Tmax, Delta, Acros films. For most cubical type films you will end with to many grain.

The shots I have processed look to have the same grain as with the other developers.

Of course that is purely subjective I do not have instruments to measure grain. I used FX-39 as it is an MQ developer which the Foma "Special" developer is. 

For Geoffery Crawley I tried the FX-37 which is published, FX-39 is not. And the FX-1 which is in fact a modified Beutler developer with a trace of PotassiumIodide.

FX-1 is very good for the slow speed Adox/Efke 25-50 single layer type films from Fotokemika. The Efke 25 / Rollei Pan 25 / Adox CHS 25 were doing extremely well in it. It is now three years ago they stopped producing in Croatia. Such a pity.

FX developers are not very well known outside the UK. I am sure it has to do with the bad marketing strategy of Paterson in the past.      Crawley published a lot in BJP and had good ideas in film development.

I can not resist.

I have to show you the result with FX-1 and Efke 25. Such a beautiful combination when optimized.

16147007831_7721f565c8_c.jpg

Same dog "Stip" in Winter and the already known famous woman.

Yes, I know this is Efke 25/Rollei Pan 25 E.I. 32. in FX-1 1+1+10. Not iso 320 or iso 640.

• Like 1

I can not resist.

I have to show you the result with FX-1 and Efke 25. Such a beautiful combination when optimized.

16147007831_7721f565c8_c.jpg

Same dog "Stip" in Winter and the already known famous woman.

Yes, I know this is Efke 25/Rollei Pan 25 E.I. 32. in FX-1 1+1+10. Not iso 320 or iso 640.

Yes a great shot, and well judged exposure. I am a fan of "straight" Beutler. I have never found an explanation of the tiny amount of potassium Iodie in FX-1, but it works!!

This in Beutler, Scopix X-ray film, note the bird spikes  ;) 1:1:100 71/2 mins @100EI 

8899347073_9fe6c563d6_c.jpg

Indeed, great example.

The test for Retropan 320 Soft is a bit slower now for the last days. It is raining here the last few days cats and dogs, really crappy weather.

Not sure if my M7 is a bit water tight. Otherwise my F.S.U. RF cameras Zorki-6, Kiev-4AM or FED-3  can do the test job too.  :)