Walking along El Rito de los Frijoles with M9 + WATE

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Over recent years Bandelier National Monument with its 33,677 acres has experienced many fires that also burned large adjacent areas.  

• 1977 La Mesa Fire (15,000 acres),

• 1996 Dome Fire (16,500 acres ),

• 2000 Cerro Grande Fire (48,000 acres)

• 2009 San Miguel Fire (1,635 acres),

• 2011 Las Conchas Fire (156,000 acres).  My Las Conchas Fire pictures are here:  http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/155395-las-conchas-wildfire/

With all those forests gone, heavy rain was eventually going to cause serious flooding.

Finally it happened in September 2013 and Bandelier experienced the largest flood in the park's recorded history.

So, about a month ago in early April I decided to take pictures of the flooding aftermath.

I walked with M9 and WATE along the Frijoles Creek from the Bandelier Visitor Center to the Alcove House, also previously known as Ceremonial Cave.

It's a 1 mile walk, one way, along a nature trail, partially destroyed by the 2013 flooding.

I have many pictures that show the area as it looks these days, still beautiful IMHO, but more wild and untamed as before.

My idea is to post one picture per day for the next month or so.  Here goes.

1_L1002432_F_5212x2932_1280x720_.jpg

This is the view of the access road from the Bandelier Visitor Center parking lot.

The Frijoles Creek or El Rito de los Frijoles is located among the trees, just to the right in this image.

• Like 1

Nice idee to take us along!

You are welcome.  Thanks for your feedback, ppm.

BTW, are you familiar with the Piecewise Parabolic Method (PPM) to compute compressible gas dynamics flows?

Just being curious.  :)

Crossing the parking lot to the right in the previous image and this foot bridge gets us to this point.

2_L1002433_F_4860x2734_1280x720_.jpg

Now we are to the West of the little Frijoles creek.  At the back of the parking lot is visible the Bandelier National Monument Visitor Center.

The tree trunk sticking up in the air at the left in the above picture gives an idea of the force of the 2013 flood and its high water mark.

Right now the Frijoles creek is very peaceful, but carries enough flowing water that is attracting children to play with it.

• Like 1

Thanks Stuart.

3_L1002437_F_5212x2932_1280x720_.jpg

This is the view of the Visitor Center from across the Frijoles creek at the other end of the parking lot.

There used to be a car bridge here to reach overflow parking and several picnic areas with tables and benches.

I was told by a park ranger that there wouldn't be a bridge here anymore.  

Now prominently featured is a flood wall, covered in yellow plastic.

From the looks of it, that seems to be a permanent installation.

BTW, just to the right of this spot is also the tall tree, favored as a roost by the turkey vultures.

• Like 1

Yes i know about gas dynamics. But, with Ppm as parts per million i ask the reader to not take my posts too seriously. I am on this forum for fun and i hope others as well. I am also aware that my use of english can be interpretated by native language readers completely different from my intention... In that respect i need some clemence  :)

Now, i am eager to move along!

Edited by Hunebed
  • Like 1

Quite a ravage, but still plenty trees standing. Is the topsoil bare because the undergrowth washed away?

Thanks ppm.  You see the topsoil with pine needles.  Around here in these kinds of forests there is not much undergrowth.

Great, I love a tour.....but it's sad to see it so torn up.

Thanks Dee.  Well, I am familiar with the nicely manicured parks in Europe.

Over here National Parks and Monuments try to keep or get back to a more natural appearance.

So, no removal of debris except to eliminate hazards and provide access.

A little bit further up the trail is this scene.

5_L1002448_F_5212x2932_1280x720_.jpg

More debris and logs across the creek.  You also notice half the canyon with its up to 600 feet high walls in the shade of the afternoon Sun.

• Like 2

Next we encounter this view. 

6_L1002450_F_5171x2909_1280x720_.jpg

The Frijoles creek is in the foreground of the picture.  The foot bridge near here is also gone.  So, no more easy crossing of the nature trail.  Of course, kids just jump over the creek.

At the sunlit side of the canyon we look at the Frey trail that goes up the canyon wall and reaches a campground in 1.5 miles.

The canyon wall, to the left and right of the Frey trail contain several of the major attractions of the Bandelier National Monument, namely numerous caves and the ruins of the long house.

Edited by k-hawinkler
  • Like 2

I just watched your las conchas fire pictures. Helpes to understand that such a small creek can grow to a devastating power. Thanks.

Thanks ppm.  I agree, it's hard to imagine such a flood without the by fire partially denuded mountains.

7_L1002454_F_5212x2932_1280x720_.jpg

Following the nature trail we reach this spot, situated well above the by the flood affected areas.

To me it looks like this tree was first cut down and then exposed to fire.

• Like 2

8_L1002463_F_4505x2534_1280x720_.jpg

Just a little further we reach the half way point to the Alcove House.

Most visitors follow the trail on the other side of the Frijoles creek that leads to the caves, kivas, and ruins.

After crossing the creek on these planks they can either go on to the Alcove House to their right or turn to their left and go back to the Visitor Center.

• Like 2

i agree on the tree being cut before the fire. Seeing your last picture i wonder how many of the trees standing are still alive.

Thanks ppm.  Well, you have a point for some trees in this spot that are located right next to the creek.  They seem dead indeed.

However, the foreground trees are alive and well.

So this morning I walked the trail again, this time with Sony A7R and Leica Vario-Elmarit-R 28-90/2.8-4.5.

_DSC6617_C1Pro_9x16_1280_500KB.jpg

This image shows the same spot but about a month later and from a different angle. 

Just a few yards down the nature trail I enjoyed this morning view.

_DSC6614_C1Pro_9x16_F_7360x4140_3680x207

Right now it's a very pleasant walk with lots of fresh green leaves, sunshine and cooling shade.  Perfect conditions.  Around here it never gets really humid at all.

• Like 2

The area in the above image looked like this yesterday morning.

_DSC6624_C1Pro_9x16_F_7008x3942_3504x197

Seems transformed by the spring and morning sunlight.  In the afternoon this side of the canyon is in the shade.

Edited by k-hawinkler
  • Like 3

Good to see some people in the april picture. The size of the trees in the driftwood piles says a lot! I also like the lush atmosfere in the may pictures. Thanks for continuing with this journey. It seems i am the only one following...

• Like 1