M6 and Portra 160 in Rome

hw9l

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just spending a few days in Rome with my M6 TTL and C-Biogon 35mm f/2.8 (one lens only). Before leaving, I checked my freezer: XP2 Super, Ektar 100, Potra 160 or Portra 400? Weather forcast was fine: sunny and warm, very warm. Colours in Rome are wonderful: marble, antique orange and pink, light blue... not those shiny full colours screaming at your eyes. I decided to take the Portra 160, too much light for the 400, too many nice colours for the Ektar, the XP2 (or some real b/w-film). Since I did not plan to take many pictures inside something (churches or antique places), ISO 160 is perfect.

Even with only ISO 160, I hardly get down to f/2.8 for a somewhat blurred background on the outside. It's mostly f/8 and 1/250 to 1/500, or even f/11. Perfect for snapshots, with the camera set to hyperfocal distance, but too much for any kind of bokeh. But I shoot people and things just the Leica-way: fast and without being noticed. Last time in Rome I had the DSLR with me. Great camera, but you don't go unnoticed, not in the streets, not in places. 

For insides, I don't get anywhere with the 35 mm Biogon. Something like 24 mm or less would be necessary for all these wonderful places, plus film with ISO 400 or higher (or a M240, film is not perfect for anything above ISO 400 in my opinion).

Ok, got to get ready for the second day. Sorry, no pictures yet, as I need to develop and scan the negs first the traditional way. Back home, that is.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sounds fun.  But I personally would have taken some of each film and compared the results.  At the end of the day, they are both excellent films and you can't go wrong.  I also would have brought along some Fuji Pro 400H for the special way in which it renders blues and greens (which isn't so relevant when shooting old walls and architecture, but would be relevant for Tuscan seaside landscapes, for example.

I just came back from a beach vacationwitht he family and could self-debated to death the decision of whether to take portra 160, fuji velvia 50 or cinestill 50.  So I just brought them all and rotated the rolls so that I shot about 3 rolls of each.  Don't regret that at all, except that I wish I would have had some Fuji Pro 400H lying around to bring as well.

Have fun!

How did you like the cinestill 50?

I think it is a great beach film. Very low grain and golden hues.

but i think portra 160 is a better overall film for very bright environments insofar as one is after true colors vs more of an old fashioned classic look.

both are amazing and i am happy to be able to use them both

• Like 1