Super Elmar 21

mandelbrot

My lenses set is Zeiss 25 and Leica 28, 35, 50 and 90. :-) I was thinking to sell the 25 and add the 21.

Good idea if you like your 28. 25 will feel too close if you get a 21 and the 21/3.4 is a must.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all I was thinking about the SEM 21 but not sure about the usefulness. I have now the Zeiss biogon 25 ... any suggestion? Thanks in advance.<br />M<br/>

It's as useful as you want it to be... performance wise it is tremendous

• Like 1

The 21/3.4 Super Elmar ASPH is a truly phenomenal optic.  It is wide, but is well corrected and overall is quite forgiving in terms of wide angle distortion.  It is also breathtakingly sharp and outstandingly accurate in terms of color rendition.

The Super Elmar allows you to do what you can do with the 28mm and 35mm focal lengths, but even moreso in terms of getting next to your subject and filling the frame with him/her/it.  I have found that the key tothe effective use of a wide angle lens is this:  The wider the lens, the closer you need to get to your subject.  

Getting really close makes some photographers uncomfortable when photographing people they do not know, but breaking through that fear will result in a quantum leap forward in your photography of human subjects.

• Like 1

The 21/3.4 Super Elmar ASPH is a truly phenomenal optic.  It is wide, but is well corrected and overall is quite forgiving in terms of wide angle distortion.  It is also breathtakingly sharp and outstandingly accurate in terms of color rendition.

The Super Elmar allows you to do what you can do with the 28mm and 35mm focal lengths, but even moreso in terms of getting next to your subject and filling the frame with him/her/it.  I have found that the key tothe effective use of a wide angle lens is this:  The wider the lens, the closer you need to get to your subject.  

Getting really close makes some photographers uncomfortable when photographing people they do not know, but breaking through that fear will result in a quantum leap forward in your photography of human subjects.

I would agree with all you say here. Unfortunately, I'm still uncomfortable, as are some of my human subjects, with me getting sufficiently up close and intimate to make the most of this FL with people. So I tend to use the SEM  21 for artichectual shots for which it's also a really great lens.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Super Elmar 21 is the best Wideangle Lens I ever had :wub:

With my M2 ...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8

The downsides to this lens are, as I posted earlier, a tendency to colour shifted edges if substantial density (exposure) adjustments are made in post (i.e. you have to get exposure right) and because of its high contrast, the need for accurate highlight exposure control. Basically its a lens which requires careful exposure with. It doesn't tolerate sloppy exposure well. Perhaps not such a bad thing. Otherwise its a breathtakingly superb lens and after owning it for several years, I'm still surprised at the level of detail it can achieve. You will have to take my word for it, but every blade of grass is resolved, well, right in the corner. I do agree about foregrounds and 21s.

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased my 21mm f/3.4 a few weeks ago and have tested it extensively. I am amazed by its versatility and lack of any aberrations. Try as I may, I could find no significant fault. It is a perfect landscape and architectural lens as many have already noted.

Albert :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

I would agree with all you say here. Unfortunately, I'm still uncomfortable, as are some of my human subjects, with me getting sufficiently up close and intimate to make the most of this FL with people. So I tend to use the SEM  21 for artichectual shots for which it's also a really great lens.

Same here.

28mm is about as wide as I can reasonably maintain some non-intrusive, comfortable distance (for all involved). Probably why Ricoh has stuck with that FL in the GR series (they briefly made a 21mm of the film GR).

Early on, I was the same.  The 21mm jitters can be laid to rest, if you want to do so badly enough. 

I have found that the 28mm and 35mm provides enough working distance from your subject that one can wait for the unguarded moment anonymously at distances of 5 to 6 feet.  The 21mm is an arm's length lens - you have to get within 2-3 feet of your subject in order to fill the frame reasonably well.  That requires a different approach in most situations. 

The 21mm is what I would call a "conversational" lens, meaning that to get close enough to your subject to use the lens effectively, you will usually need to engage in interaction/conversation with your subject.  The 28 and 35 allow you to photograph at the edge of your subject's personal space; the 21 requires you to get inside your subject's personal space. 

The 21mm is a more challenging/demanding lens to use when photographing people; there's no two ways about it.  But used in the 2-3 foot range, it will produce some spectacular results - particularly if you are fortunate enough to be shooting with the 21mm f/3.4 Super Elmar.

Edited by Carlos Danger
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 Elmarit Pre-Asph, my favorite Leica lens @ Bangkoknoi train station.

Edited by FotoDRF

• 2 weeks later...

I like this lens so much that I sold my 28 Summicron and bought the 21 SEM. I just find a 21, 35, 50, 90 and 135 kit most productive. 

Ergonomics also played a part in this choice as I found the 28 difficult to frame on my M9 and the 35 was just more comfortable focal length (I wore glasses at the time). Framing with the 21 mm viewfinder was easier. EVF on a M240 would change this but neither were available at that time. Once this decision was made, I never looked back as the 21 SEM is a great lens. It is mechanically better than the 21 Biogon that I used on my M8 and crisper than the 28 Summicron.

I have the Super-Elmar-M 21mm and it is a superb lens. 

I like how the sun hood is designed, the small size and weight, etc.  :)

Leica has found the way of bringing a better 21mm lens to the market at a lower price than the previous versión (the Elmarit 21mm). 

M lenses are unique. They are superb lenses, of course, but the key is how small they are! You cannot find something similar in the photographic world. 

• Like 1

I like this lens so much that I sold my 28 Summicron and bought the 21 SEM. I just find a 21, 35, 50, 90 and 135 kit most productive. 

Ergonomics also played a part in this choice as I found the 28 difficult to frame on my M9 and the 35 was just more comfortable focal length (I wore glasses at the time). Framing with the 21 mm viewfinder was easier. EVF on a M240 would change this but neither were available at that time. Once this decision was made, I never looked back as the 21 SEM is a great lens. It is mechanically better than the 21 Biogon that I used on my M8 and crisper than the 28 Summicron.

If you have a tendency to 'like a lens so much' you probably should stay away from the 2.8/28 ASPH, it's the Little Engine That Could.

s-a