Super Elmar 21

mandelbrot

The SEM 21 is a great lens, especially dramatic when shooting architecture close up. I should take it out more than I do but I find, for framing, I need to use it with the EVF

• Like 1

Thanks for your help. My lenses set is Zeiss 25 and Leica 28, 35, 50 and 90. :-) I was thinking to sell the 25 and add the 21.

Sound like a good plan to me since your 25 is too close to 28. But how comfortable are you with the 25 FL? The usefulness of a lens is only up to the user. I have the Elmar 24 and skip straight to 15 for my widest.

What dissatisfies you about the 25mm?  What camera are you shooting on?  Live view is almost essential with the wider lenses, where levelling and cropping become paramount.  A multiple of 1.5 or 2 between focal lengths is practical.  On that basis, I'd go for the 15mm Voigtlander or the 18mm Leica, if I liked wide angle shooting and wanted another lens.

I've just been away for a couple of weeks and took the 21SEM along with a 35,50 & 90. The 21 was extensively used - its a fabulous lens. Only slight downside is that if you underexpose a 'neutral' image the corners can show colour cast if adjusted substantially in post processing. Sloppy photography but it can happen, I know! That said the same is potentially true for most wide lenses. Other than that I'd be hard pushed to fault it.

It is a super-wide though, IMO significantly more so than a 24 or 25 and not everyone gets on with the increased angle of view. So there is some personal preference which can only be sorted by looking through a lot of images from 21s and/or trying one.

I do not own the 21 Super Elmar.  I do own  21 Elmarit ASPH.  I cannot offer advice of one over he other as I have never tried the newer lens, but I have been more than happy with the Elmarit and they can be had a good prices in new or Nearly new condition.

I sold my Zeiss 25 and now have the 21SEM and could not be happier. That said we are all different in how we view a scene and which lens might be best for it in our own view.

Lens questions are the hardest to answer. Best to go rent one before buying or try a friends if possible.

I own both the 21SEM & ZM25 (reviews often state that it's nearer a 26mm) & I love both.  But I don't have a 28mm, my next is a 35mm.  So I would argue that your ZM25 is actually closer to your 28mm & that you should consider selling one of these & adding the 21SEM - this lens always surprises me at how good it is.

The SEM is, hands down, the highest performing 21mm lens I have ever used. Sharpness across the frame at all apertures and no distortion to speak of. Straight lines stay straight. I currently have the 21mm Summilux which is a great lens in it's own way, but not really close to the optical perfection that is the SEM. Also, the SEM is very compact and lightweight, has that wonderful focus tab, and takes 46mm filters for us 35/50 Summilux owners.

This lens is a definite buy, especially at it's price point. 

• Like 2

Many are in favor of the SEM 21, but I'm not sure the OP would be comfortable shooting with that focal length. I assume that he has not shot with a 21 before. On the other hand, if he likes the 25 but looking for an ultimate sharpness, he could sell the 25 and get the Elmar 24, which is in equal term with the SEM 21 if not a bit sharper.

Guest )-(

I picked up the 21 Super Elmar not too long ago, along with a viewfinder (using on M9)

I think it's an astounding lens, it feels like my ultra wide 28 Cron.

So far my use is primarily architectural. It's definitely one to be careful in how you compose but if you do, the lack of distortion is just great.

I have the brightline leica finder which works as advertised but cheaper options exist if needed. I like having an OVF to look through though.

I haven't used 24/25mm on an M9 (and doubt I will tbh with the strength of the 21 Super Elmar and 28 Cron ASPH)  the 21/28(either) make a great pair. 

To my eye, 21mm is into the territory where you are beyond just a wide field of view (that I would consider 25mm to be in) and into an 'alternate universe' of ultrawide perspectives.

Worth trying a 21mm lens if you are able before buying if you're unsure about the FOV.

For me, 21mm is wide enough, especially in a system where there is a limit on MFD.

You don't like/use your 25ZM then?