Dismal Purchasing Experience at Leica Wetzlar

marknorton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I visited Leica in Wetzlar last week to take a look at the new HQ and was impressed - good exhibition space, product displays, window into the production area (though a few unhappy faces arising from working in a goldfish bowl) and finally a store to purchase Leica products.

That's where it all went wrong. As I was passing the door, I took the opportunity to buy the new 90mm Macro Elmar M using depreciated euros before the UKL-EUR exchange rate tanks next week over election jitters. So once I'd managed to get the kid of a shop assistant to stop gossiping with his friend, I asked to buy the lens. It seemed I was asking for the world and he had to go and get a card to get in to the product store. He then came back with a 24mm Elmar, saying that they didn't have the 90mm and would this do instead? He then forgot I'd asked to buy two other products and went back to talking to his friend. Needless to say, I left empty-handed.

You might reasonably be forgiven for thinking that the factory store would hold stock of the furthest recesses of the Leica product catalogue and be staffed by knowledgeable people but no. It is, in every sense of the word, a waste of space.

Edited by marknorton

You didn't even buy a stick of rock!

You should have asked the kid if he had three 24mm Elmars and an 18mm Super-Elmar as that would have made the 90mm worth of Elmar you needed. :D  

Steve

Edited by 250swb
  • Like 3

I would have been monumentally pi**ed off .........

but I have had this happen to me so many times in these days of 'just in time' stocking that I usually phone ahead and check ....

what's the point of a shop that purports to sell things if it has no stock .....

..... and if the shop attached to the factory has no adequate stock control mechanism it does make you wonder what is going on behind all the modern glitz ......

and if the shop attached to the factory has no adequate stock control mechanism it does make you wonder what is going on behind all the modern glitz ......thighslapper..

chaos......they are probably all out drinking & celebrating getting the new Mono" put together without any screws or other bits left on the workbench.. :o 

p.s. have Leica run out of Red Dots? :ph34r: 

The OP's story seems ridiculous... What going on Leica? lol

But I do know how you feel. Standing in someone's store ready to buy something and they don't want your money.

I've experienced that a few times and yet these same store owners complain about having to compete against online sellers.  :rolleyes:

So once I'd managed to get the kid of a shop assistant to stop gossiping with his friend,

That ticks me off every time. I don't get angry, but I have mastered the "you are a bubbleheaded ass" look.

Stand There, ask for a Senior Manager .. Demand Service..

OK - but it doesn't make it a fun/enjoyable/memorable purchase experience. Not that they had the lens Mark wanted anyway so why waste time. I just hope someone from Leica Wetzlar reads this thread. I was debating "holding" a purchase until I next went but seems there is little point.

Stand There, ask for a Senior Manager .. Demand Service..

Generally, that is not likely to help the overall situation although it might relieve the immediate one.  In most situations the idiot clerk is the product of the manager's supervision. Regards, Ron

• 2 weeks later...

Generally, that is not likely to help the overall situation although it might relieve the immediate one.  In most situations the idiot clerk is the product of the manager's supervision. Regards, Ron

True.  A fish rots from the head down.

This kind of half-assed service is also a result of the elaborate ritual that goes on in retail sales these days, the underlying philosophy of which can be summed up as "They pretend to pay, I pretend to work."

Come on, Leica:  Your loyal customers deserve better.  Pinch off a few more sheckels for your retail sales folk at world headquarters. 

Edited by Carlos Danger

Because it is not far from here, I have been to the new building in Wetzlar twice to deliver lenses and a camera body for CLA, which were then mailed back to me. While there I made a tour of the factory and can't confirm the gold fish bowl effect.

My daughter had an aquarium as an elementary school kid and she could not refrain from smiling even at her fishes. Most people I know do this most of the times when looking at other people, even through a big sound-proof window as I experienced as one of the few visitors, whom I coincidently met when being there and walking together around the glas circuit. I think I remember a little conversation about things Leica, the weather, the trip to Wetzlar etc. just like in a ICE train compartment.

Both times I looked at the superb photographs on display and went to the store before leaving. Sales people were competent, attentive and friendly.

I would have been monumentally pi**ed off .........

but I have had this happen to me so many times in these days of 'just in time' stocking that I usually phone ahead and check ....

what's the point of a shop that purports to sell things if it has no stock .....

..... and if the shop attached to the factory has no adequate stock control mechanism it does make you wonder what is going on behind all the modern glitz ......

Tried that on a few occasions.  Most of the time you get no answer or the wrong answer.   Little pride in workmanship these days.

• 2 weeks later...

I visited Leica in Wetzlar last week to take a look at the new HQ and was impressed - good exhibition space, product displays, window into the production area (though a few unhappy faces arising from working in a goldfish bowl) and finally a store to purchase Leica products.

That's where it all went wrong. As I was passing the door, I took the opportunity to buy the new 90mm Macro Elmar M using depreciated euros before the UKL-EUR exchange rate tanks next week over election jitters. So once I'd managed to get the kid of a shop assistant to stop gossiping with his friend, I asked to buy the lens. It seemed I was asking for the world and he had to go and get a card to get in to the product store. He then came back with a 24mm Elmar, saying that they didn't have the 90mm and would this do instead? He then forgot I'd asked to buy two other products and went back to talking to his friend. Needless to say, I left empty-handed.

You might reasonably be forgiven for thinking that the factory store would hold stock of the furthest recesses of the Leica product catalogue and be staffed by knowledgeable people but no. It is, in every sense of the word, a waste of space.

That's an unpleasant anecdote - one not at all fitting for the experience of visiting the factory and doing some attached shopping.

I would like to share my own version though - maybe as a contrast or as an example that Mark's experience is not the norm when visiting the factory.

On my last visit I brought a large bag full of items that needed attention.

Among them where a M9 with a sensor issue and a dozen lenses I wanted to have coded and some of them CLA'ed as for diverse issues.

I additionally found the flexibility when dealing with Leica CS this way (visiting the factory, communicating before traveling, bringing all items after finding a time slot) fantastic.

I had my items fixed and ready for pick up about one week after drop off.

Upon pickup, I found with two lenses the aperture setting too loose to my taste (yet surely within spec) and was met on an instant with a lab coated technician, who would listen to my description how I would like to have the aperture setting, where on he advised me what he could do and proceeded to take the lenses back and had them finished ad re-adjusted within 10 minutes.

The workmanship and especially the so very often discussed issue of finely calibrating critical lenses on a target was impeccable (both times I had made this trip and on each occasion brought several difficult lenses with me, among them a 135/3.4, 50/1, 75/1.4 and several 50/1.4 lenses).

All these lenses where finished on the first try with perfect calibration (none of the here often described back and fore as for difficult RF match with such difficult lenses).

After picking up my items, I scooted through the factory shop as I wanted to buy one lens but wasn't sure which one.

After taking the round through the shop, I asked a tall, slender, mid-aged gentleman, wearing glasses for assistance which he promptly granted in the most professional manner.

I first explained that on this occasion I had three different lenses in mind from which I only wanted to buy one, where he immediately provided helpful additional information and headed straight towards the sample lenses behind glass in order to take the lenses in question onto the table for me to try, with the comment to take as much time as I liked, he would be back when I needed him.

I tried, made my decision for a complete 90/4 Macro Elmar set (the old, goggled one as I like this concept a lot better, being fully compatible with all M bodies I own).

He then proceeded to make me a great deal on the lens, added some surprise in form of offering me the several lens caps I inquired as a nice present free of charge and further more advised me of some tips in regards of the use of polarizers.

I have made the experience that sometimes there is enough sample variation with lenses on a given camera body, that I most of the time ask to try several lenses of a the kind I am determined to buy before leaving the shop. This is understandably not very popular among shop clerks - with the kind gentleman dealing with us that day, not a problem in the world! He said he understood and it would not be the slightest problem at all, I just had to give him 5 minutes to collect a few samples.

He came back 2 minutes later with three full sets of the Macro Elmar and  helped me to prepare each set for my quick test in question.

I proceeded to quickly run through a infinity test on both my MM + M9, a ruler test without goggles at minimum distance and ~3m and  ruler test when using the attached goggles. This took almost half an hour to finish and I asked several times if it would be problematic but he always insisted to take my time and not to worry a bit.

As the day was warm and we spend quite some time in the shop, he offered us cold drinks too.

All in all it was a fantastic experience - I got the lens for a lower price I would have paid elsewhere, got the best treatment possible you can expect in a camera shop with a little present on top (no matter the value, this is always something that sticks to memory when shopping).

I will return for sure.

In Mark's position, I would have clearly and upfront stated to the clerk what I would have found not up to par, preferably in presence of other customers in this situation.

It sounds indeed like inadequate attitude towards this job.

• Like 3

It appears to me that, in Mark's case, the shop had been left to a couple of Azubis for reasons unknown. I am sure that a complaint at the reception would have brought  the real shop assistant running.

It appears to me that, in Mark's case, the shop had been left to a couple of Azubis for reasons unknown. I am sure that a complaint at the reception would have brought  the real shop assistant running.

That reminds me of the time I wanted to buy something in a radio shop or some such. As all clerks were busy, I leaned against one of the desks and gave my best imitation of looking bored. Presently, another customer came to me, held a battery under my nose and said "six of those". I am proud to this day that I managed to explain to him that I was a customer, albeit a waiting one.

I hasten to add that I don't think Mark's manners were anything like that.

• Like 2

I had to Google Azubi. I like it.

• Like 1