Review: Leica M-A (Typ 127)

Al, I think it depends on the cassettes. The IXMOO (and the other name escapes me now) won't work, as I understand it, but I believe modern plastic reusable ones with a screw top will fit. I use these for shooting bulk loaded 5222 in my M4 and Millennium.

Philip, we are talking about the marvelous brass cassettes Leica (and Nikon and Contax) made that open the felt gate once inside the camera when the lock switch is turned. Forgive me if you already know of these. To us in the news business they were a blessing when using a Leicavit.

While it might be troublesome, I know we could recreate the bottom plate to make such posible.

Best,

Edited by pico
  • Like 2

It has been quite awhile since Leica has built a camera that allows the use of the IXMOO cassette so the fact that it cannot be used in the M-A is not a really big deal. I know they cannot be used with the M6TTL, M7 and MP. I believe it only works on some of the M6 cameras. The thing with the M6 is that at least that camera can be modified with the proper baseplate with the cassette locking and unlocking mechanism.

IXMOOs work fine on my M6TTL (Millennium) equipped with an M4 baseplate.  Re. Leicavit, I think pico is referring to the increased smoothness and speed of the wind-on when you use these cassettes.  The film travels completely freely with no resistance or friction from the cassette.  If you think you know 'buttery smooth', try this and you'll be gobsmacked. Leica plus IXMOO is effectively 'going commando'.

Edited by M9reno
  • Like 1

IXMOOs work fine on my M6TTL (Millennium) equipped with an M4 baseplate.  Re. Leicavit, I think pico is referring to the increased smoothness and speed of the wind-on when you use these cassettes.  The film travels completely freely with no resistance or friction from the cassette.  If you think you know 'buttery smooth', try this and you'll be gobsmacked. Leica plus IXMOO is effectively 'going commando'.

Oh believe me, I do use them. I have about a dozen or so around, as well as a bunch more FILCAs, that are always ready to go.

You are absolutely right. My M3 is just about as smooth as it gets with those cassettes loaded.

If someone does come up with a reliable mod that permits the M-A to use them I will be on their doorstep with money in hand. :D

If someone does come up with a reliable mod that permits the M-A to use them I will be on their doorstep with money in hand. :D

Indeed - and at that point, too, I would be keen to get an M-A for myself!

Regrettably it is the actual body shell that prevents an IXMOO being inserted so any modification is almost impossible, never say never.

My IXMOOs seem to breed in the drawer, over 30 now and 20+ of the Nikon variety, plus two for the F2 I was mis-sold, so I bought an F2 to use them with  :)

Only 6 or so FILCAs but then I only have one Barnack.

I do see an M-A in my future despite this dis-advantage.

Edited by chris_livsey

• 5 weeks later...

The obvious advantage of the Leica IXMOO and FILCA cassettes is that once they are inside the camera is the cassette is fully open and there are no felt traps which, if they gets dusty, can possibly scratch the film as it is pulled through.

I use simple plastic ones with a twist top, 20pcs for a few Euros. I've lost count of how many times I've reloaded them in my Alden 200. I also reload Tri-X and other cassettes. Not a scratch so far on any roll. And the felt trap hasn't worn out either. 

Philip, we are talking about the marvelous brass cassettes Leica (and Nikon and Contax) made that open the felt gate once inside the camera when the lock switch is turned. Forgive me if you already know of these. To us in the news business they were a blessing when using a Leicavit.

While it might be troublesome, I know we could recreate the bottom plate to make such posible.

Best,

No problem Pico, I do know about these cassettes. I have one IXMOO and one FILCA which came with my Leica II kit. I considered buying more but it seems sellers and shops charge a lot for them these days. The plastic ones are just as good (and also provide friction-less operation).

br

Philip

I use simple plastic ones with a twist top....

Do the plastic ones work with any 35mm camera?  If so, what is the brand of these cassettes?

Thank you.

Fred

Edited by FredR

Do the plastic ones work with any 35mm camera? If so, what is the brand of these cassettes?

Thank you.

Fred

Hi Fred

I believe they do. They have the same shape as ordinary film cassettes. Here's an example.

http://www.phototec.de/Analoge-Fotografie/Foto-Geraete/Kameras-und-Zubehoer/Filmpatronen:::1_65_66_73.html

Hi Fred

I believe they do. They have the same shape as ordinary film cassettes. Here's an example.

http://www.phototec.de/Analoge-Fotografie/Foto-Geraete/Kameras-und-Zubehoer/Filmpatronen:::1_65_66_73.html

Interesting maybe I should get some film in bulk and buy a loader, Fomapan 400 maybe.

A/the main reason to bulk load is cost per roll and this depends on where one lives. Here in Europe it usually doesn't make sense to bulk load Tri-X; e.g. Fotoimpex sells a 30,5m/100-foot bulk roll, which gives about 18 rolls, for 140€. Even if one finds it cheaper it needs to come down to about 88€ to be a viable option instead of single rolls. The only reason I can think of would be if one wants to roll odd lengths to test developers etc.

For Fomapan (never tried), Kentmere (nice) and Ilford one would probably save about 1€, give or take, per roll which is pretty good. 

It does make a lot of sense to bulk load Double-X though, which is a really fantastic film and what I have in my loader. It comes in 400-foot rolls so one needs to split them into smaller rolls (sometimes one can find short ends but not often). Most loaders take 100-foot rolls, I believe, so a few extra cores are needed. One can often reuse them from other bulk rolls (Fomapan, Kentmere etc). I use an Alden loader which takes 200-foot rolls so I only need to split my Double-X into two.

Some may say bulk loading isn't worth it and, true, everyone values their time differently, but I find it doesn't take long at all to load up a few cassettes at a time. In fact, my loader is always loaded with a roll so I can just fill a cassette as necessary. 

• Like 2

Some may say bulk loading isn't worth it and, true, everyone values their time differently, but I find it doesn't take long at all to load up a few cassettes at a time. In fact, my loader is always loaded with a roll so I can just fill a cassette as necessary. 

I bulk roll.

While it can be cheaper, I just enjoy it. It's relaxing to sit down in the evening and reload the cassettes while the film is drying.

And the cassettes are easier to open in the dark bag!

Cheers,

Michael

• Like 2

I bulk roll.

While it can be cheaper, I just enjoy it. It's relaxing to sit down in the evening and reload the cassettes while the film is drying.

And the cassettes are easier to open in the dark bag!

Cheers,

Michael

I agree Michael. I just enjoy the reloading process. It is very relaxing.

Reloading may not be quite as much of a cost savings as it once was but I do feel it is a worthwhile skill to maintain. I do save money and I am able to custom load special cassettes for specific products. I roam the online auctions and stores and pick up good deals on short dated or expired bulk film all the time.

If I intended to spend a year traveling the world I think I would take my Leica MA, my collapsible Elmars 50/2.8 and 90/4, a dozen plastic cassettes, a 400' roll of EKXX, a changing bag and the old Leica loader. I would arrange to have 400' rolls available for me along my route. Sometimes I do wish that life could be that simple again.

• Like 4