Review: Leica M-A (Typ 127)

Good review Jip. Thanks :)

For longevity of M-A I agree ... when I see in second hand that the M240 sells almost half price after 2 years.

and I also agree for KP 160 - 400 faithful colors and TX400 deep black

Long live film

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 1

Try Foto De Graaf. It's on the Meent 36. 

I've heard they had good results, although I never tried them myself. 

Used to go to Beeldgebouw. Always satisfied with them, but it can turn out quite expensive if you need to develop on a regular basis. 

• Like 1

Must have been bad luck, Hema messed up so much of my film I started processing myself. Scratches, dust, negatives cut through a photo, you name it.

Stopped using Kruidvat after they lost my film for a second time. 

I now rather pay a bit more or develop myself.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I never had any problems with Kruidvat, but there is always a risk of lost film. They are not expensive and besides prints you get a low resolution CD.

For my MF colour negatieve films or more precise work I use Foto Schelfhout in Antwerp. They also do E6 development on a daily base.

Best

Nice review but I don't understand why somebody should buy one of these instead of a classic M3 or M4, and don't tell me that old cameras aren't reliable.

Cuthbert M-A is a M3 but manufactured in 2015 :D

If someone here has a M3 new I'll buy it :)

Please send me a MP

Best

Henry

In the end if you have worked hard for your money and you can afford it, why not buying something you enjoy?

Henry, if you're serious, look up Schouten Select on the Internet or give them a call. They have lots of collector items. Wouldn't surprise me if they have a never used M3 in stock.

Edited by tookaphotoof
  • Like 1

Cuthbert M-A is a M3 but manufactured in 2015 :D

If someone here has a M3 new I'll buy it :)

Please send me a MP

Best

Henry

Still I don't see the point of that, I am happy with my "vintage" cameras that in reality were built for lasting for a lifetime (and even more), to spend my money for a new Leica I would like to see some improvements or perhaps something different, but still, my favourite Leica is the M5 so I think my opinion is not relevant, most of the customers are conservatives and want the same camera over and over again.

As wrote in my article:

But the camera is expensive, which is probably worth it. But with a very big secondhand market for very good mechanical Leica rangefinder cameras Like the M4, M2, or even a M3 if you can live with just 50/90/135mm frame lines it is maybe hard to justify such a high price. For the price of a new M-A one can easily buy a good M2 or M4 and a few lenses.

I bought a new Land Rover Defender. Didn't offer a lot more than a used one but as I bought it for life I prefer to know the story behind every single scratch. One of the reasons the M-A is on my list.

As I use my cameras, I'm not interested in paying a premium for an unused M3 myself.

• Like 1

Still I don't see the point of that, I am happy with my "vintage" cameras that in reality were built for lasting for a lifetime (and even more), to spend my money for a new Leica I would like to see some improvements or perhaps something different, but still, my favourite Leica is the M5 so I think my opinion is not relevant, most of the customers are conservatives and want the same camera over and over again.

If everybody would think this way, how would you ever get a used one if nobody buys a new one? :-)

I can understand everybody who buys a used film Leica like M3, M2, etc..., but I can understand on the other hand that someone wants to buy something new. Simply for the reason that it is new and he/she will be the first who is using it.

That is why I enjoyed my M3 and just bought a new MP.

Jochen

• Like 2

had an m4 and traded it in for the M-A. Why? Practical reason is that the viewfinder is brighter -- I had both in the camera story and checked out the difference. To my eyes, it was big enough to matter.Second, old things even mechanical ones do fail. Not too many 50 year old cars running about and not too many 50 year olds running in the Olympics either. Lastly, i wanted something to be my own. Every ding, every scratch, it is legacy i will build with this camera and leave it to my sons to sort out at some time in the future. The  M4 is a great camera, and I may very well add one back to the fold as a second mechanical one, but the M-A is truly mine.

• Like 3

The shutter speed dial on top of the camera has one-stop indents, but intermediate speeds can be selected too since the mechanical timer is stepless.

The M-A's instruction manual clearly states that intermediate settings must not be used (except, of course, the 1/50 setting).

• Like 1

The M-A's instruction manual clearly states that intermediate settings must not be used (except, of course, the 1/50 setting).

I tested it, with a shutter speed testing device and it works fine :)