In praise of Plustek

Nick De Marco

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don’t usually praise tech (or any) companies. And when I first bought my Plustek Opticfilm 120 Scanner I seemed to have so many problems I nearly thought it was junk. But praise where praise is due.

Basically, the study looking big box gave me headaches because of what was a software glitch between the new Silverfast software and the new (I think) Mac operating system, The result was that the scanner could not locate the correct frame, and soon bceame pretty unusable. I spent ages on the phone to Germany with Suilverfast, but the problem noever resolved. I then spent ages with Plustek. Finally, this week, the UK represnetative of Plustek came to my house. With a new Silverfast upgarde and trying various things we got everything to work. It now works like a dream. And relatively sim0ly. It’s also fast. And the quality is superb. I ahve to say far better (and faster) than either my old Nikon Coolscan or my Epson 750 flatbed (which shall now become quitre redundant).

Plustek have really made a high quality device, and although I began with itrritating glitches (siftawre not hardward problems)_ the service I received was exceptional. I am now a very happy scanner.

• Like 5

Whilst I am delighted you have received such excellent service I just hope that what the personal visited showed was how the "fix" can be rolled out to all the users with issues of framing, and I note several postings elsewhere, without a site visit being required in each case.

Credit to Plustek for not giving up and to you for your patience and persistance.

Well done Plustek and Nick.

FWIW I have used my 120 with Vuescan from day one and not had any problems with it, apart from those of my own making, like using the wrong negative carrier not realising one specifically for 4.5x6 was also in the box (although it still worked after a fiddle).

But my mind goes blank if I look at the Silverfast software and I only installed it to ensure full compatibility of drivers on a 'just in case' basis. The more I use the 120 the more I appreciate it's resolution, dynamic range, and speed (unless everything is max'd). It is definitely a huge step on from my Minolta Multi Pro.

Steve

I'd absolutely love the Plustek 120, I have a Plustek 7600 and it works wonders for 35mm.  I'm trying to shoot more 120 so having the capability to scan two strips of 35mm and 120 would be fantastic.  I hope the price starts to drop in the second hand market like the 7600 new models have.  The Plustek 120 would cost more than any glass I own!