Why did you get the new Monochrom?

jaapv

Why did you get the new Monochrom?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. What is the main reason for buying the new Monochrom (Typ 246)

• I like the higher resolution
    • I liker the better ISO performance
    • I like the Video
    • I like the EVF/LV
    • I like the better viewfinder/rangefinder/framelines
    • I like the silent shutter
    • I held off buying the first version for this one
    • I had to; my neighbour is getting one
    • Other: state please

The main reason is of course that it is a monochrome camera! I could have checked more of the boxes because I am looking forward to several of the improved futures of the 240/246 compared to my current M9. 

• Like 1

I ordered an M246 Monochrom so that I can have both a color and B&W camera of the same platform, using EVF/LV, same battery/charger, MF grip for GPS, etc.

Same for me - I have the M-P (240) and wanted to use the same batteries and accessories. Meanwhile, my M-P has been with Leica for warranty repair since the beginning of February (with no clear indication of a completion date), so I need a camera to shoot with. Considered buying another M240 as back-up but decided to give the M246 a try when I saw it unpacked while I was in the shop on Wednesday (the day before launch...).

• Like 1

If I do get one, it will primarily be because b/w print results are improved compared to my M240….and in the same basic package.  Higher ISO would be a bonus.

Buying before comparing wouldn't make sense for me.  The old version didn't appeal, regardless of potential results, given the much improved M240 platform...worth waiting for…and the already great results (including b/w) from the M240.

Jeff

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hopefully I don't get into trouble for premature posting.  I plan on picking one up for the B&W Video and improved high ISO performance.  My biggest question - when will it be offered in silver chrome?

• Like 1

Ditto with Algrove ....... avoidance of duplication of accessories and consistent usage methodology ........

The MM produces fine images ....... but as with the M9/M240 choice there is no contest in terms of flexibility and ergonomics.......

• Like 2

I will find the LV/EVF useful for the usual reasons: wides, macro work and R lenses.

I am anticipating the better noise performance will help with high dynamic range situations I regularly find myself shooting; expose for highlights and pull up the shadows in post processing. 

I chose 'other' because there is no single reason.  Rather, it's the combination of things that makes the M-246 a compelling choice.

The original MM has been, since its release, my favorite camera of all time.  It has remained so even after the release of the M-240, a camera that I love, but just doesn't have that indefinable magic that the MM brings.  What the M-240 did bring was an all-around much better package versus the previous-generation digital M's.

I'm expecting the M-246 to combine all those great qualities of the M-240 platform with the magic of the original MM.

So... 'magic' is my reason.

I had the old MM and was happy with the picture quality, but not the shutter sound, the slow writing to the card, and the "time bomb" feeling of corrosion. I sold it when the rumors of the new M heated up. I know the M240 from experience and look forward to the new "packaging"(longer battery life, better rangefinder) and sensor, with even higher ISO performance. I do hope that the slow cold start of the original M240 has improved, though.

I am voting for the M240 RF/framelines as well as the EVF even though I only use it for 21mm. I also selected "other" because I like the battery life and because it streamlines my batteries/charger situation with my M240s.

Considering selling my original MM, perhaps to help with a 50APO purchase, but I may just keep that as well. 

Three reasons:

1. corrosion issue

2. corrosion issue

3. corrosion issue

Both my MM and M9 were affected - unless it is contagious, I think the odds are that all M9 series cameras will eventually succumb.

• Like 1

What Agrove and Jäger said:  I have loved everything about my Monochrom since I got it in September 2012.  But: the opportunity to have it on the 240 platform -- and use all available lenses -- is a dream come true.  For me, this is not a high ISO aspiration; this is a logical platform upgrade. 

Edited by johnbuckley
  • Like 4