M6TTL & Griptac add ons for ergo++

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have done 4 camera bodies in Griptac now, usually purchased as kits from Cameraleather but I found a source for bulk Griptac in black so I replaced some of the ergonomic upgrades on my M6TTL that had just been gaffer's tape until now. Basically these small placements of Griptac on both the body and lens have made quite a noticeable improvement in overall handling and focusing finesse. 

In the first image you see a strip of the material on the lens focus collar. I started doing this a few years ago with all my Leica lenses that had a tab but no texture, I just used strips of black gaffer's tape. On the 35 1.4, this is a remarkable improvement in fine tuning the focus and in conjunction with the tab makes for really fast one pass focusing. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by KM-25
  • Like 4

In the second photo, you see the other lens strip, the bottom cover and what I call the "Thumb Down" patch by the upper back. 

The bottom cover strip is excellent for grabbing the camera while swapping lenses in a way that you don't get fingerprints all over the VF optics, thumb in the hot shoe, pointer finger on the release button and others on the lower grip, bam! It also makes it a lot easier to change film as the plate will now stay put on my pant leg and not slide off onto the ground. My fingers find their way onto this patch a lot and it is a welcome area of security.

The thumb grip..I had one of those "Thumbs Up" thingies for about a week and then sold it, it just did not work for me and added an odd bulky thing to get caught on things when using the camera, I just did not gel with it. 

But the Thumb Down grip? When considering how much of an improvement in shooting mode that little grip has done for me...it's just silly amazing. It makes the camera exponentially more easy to hold securely when in the moment. The shape and size of circle directly mimics the curve arc of the body it self and my thumb just falls right into place when I move my finger to release the shutter. 

All in all, this is the most ergonomic Leica M I have ever used, these little add ons really make a big difference in handling to me without adding bulk. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by KM-25
  • Like 4

Interesting. I began using an 8mm circular patch of Griptac in your "Thumb down" spot about a year ago, and agree it does make a noticeable difference. I had tried a soft rubber furniture bumper before, but like the Griptac much better. Thanks for sharing your ideas...they look great on your camera body, blending in with the recovered surface.

• Like 1

It looks as though you made very accurate cuts in that bulk tape. Got any hints to improve the chance of precise cuts?

Do the photographs accurately depict the color?

Fred

Edited by FredR
  • Like 1

Fred, the color is more like very dark grey than black and all in all, it looks like black on the camera but can appear grey in bright light conditions. 

As for precise cuts, I used the top of an empty film container to trace out the half circle on the white backing paper the Griptac is on and then just carefully use scissors or a sharp Exacto knife to cut out the shapes. The other ones are just using a fine grade ruler and making sure the tracing is good. 

I fabricate a lot of things that are small so I have had a good bit of practice over the years. 

Edited by KM-25
  • Like 1

• 8 years later...
  • 1 month later...