LR 6/CC and graphics processor

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anyone had trouble getting the new LR to use a GPU? I'm using Windows 7 and a AMD Raydeon HD6670. Mine is stubbornly set as "failed" (in Preferences>Performance). I have been through Adobe's troubleshooting steps, including updating graphics card drivers (AMD Catalyst), I have 1Gb RAM on the card, but it still doesn't like it. Clicking "System Info" suggests that the problem is lack of OpenGL 3.3 support, but my card is supposed to pass that criterion with ease.

By contrast, I'm also running LR CC on my Surface Pro 3 and it says it has found a GPU and is happy to use it.

I'll follow up on the Adobe forum if necessary, but thought I'd check here first.

Edited by LocalHero1953

Hmm, I should have gone to the Adobe forum first. Reports of problems with LR not recognising the GPU of AMD HD cards (and some others) are like a rash all over the forum, and Adobe recognises it as a problem. I'll have a late night reading through to see if anyone found a solution.

No other responses here, so perhaps this is just my problem.

But for completeness, here is the source of the problem and the temporary solution:

It's a driver issue, and you need to use an older version of AMD Catalyst and drivers: v14.4 seems to be OK.

So, uninstall all AMD drivers and software, and reboot (you'll be in VGA mode).

Download and install the older version of AMD Catalyst and use the drivers that come with it.

Reboot to get the high res display again, then restart Lightroom 6/CC.

The GPU should be enabled.

It worked for me.

• Like 1