New: Leica M Monochrom (Type 246) Official Announcement

LUF Admin

I suspect M Monochrom users with corroded sensors will be offered a trade-in.

This camera follows the pattern of the M9 and M Monochrom: the latter based on the M9, maximum re-use of the hardware platform and extended the sales life. The new Monochrom 246 is based on the M240, will extend that hardware platform as a new color M makes a debut. Leica seems to follow a 3 year cycle, so a new Color camera should be coming before the end of 2015- if the upgrade cycle continues. I would have preferred seeing the new platform debut with both color and monochrome versions offered, get the two in sync with each other.

Its easy to be in sync, just don't use latest and greatest.  I just bought a new M-E to go with my M Monochrom (1st gen).  Whatever replaces the M240 will (hopefully) have its own Monochrom version, which is probably what I'll eventually buy (skipping the 240 generation completely).

• Like 1

This is great news. I sold my venerable Mk1 MM, principally due to the sensor issue; good on Leica for the M9 family 'sensor policy', but I wasn't prepared to be without the camera for (potentially recurrent) protracted periods. A stellar camera though.  I still miss it. Now shooting with a black M240P, so the MM246 will be familiar.....

I doubt that I will be disappointed; in fact I'll be amazed if this camera does not build on what the original MM could do. Jono's review, and others, seem to bear this out. Add to this all the other handling benefits (not least the shutter!), and I'm sold.

My only disappointment is that it has video......

My deposit will be down tomorrow.....

But presumably the same simple 'off' setting in the menu, for video and/or LV.  Totally transparent to user if desired.

Jeff

Jeff

Agreed, I suppose I object to the effort devoted to developing it. But then again, it's probably the same as the tech in the M240. Nonetheless, something I've never used on M240 or M240P (but paid for).

I am thrilled by this new camera and have pre-ordered one, expensive yes but it was in the expected price range. I have the M9 so I am looking forward to use a monochrome camera, a newer generation M and also to see how my lenses will fair with this camera.

Question: does it create the histogram from the raw file as the previous version?

Edited by joakim_d

I take it that the 2 seconds delay when starting up has not been fixed? So it would be the perfect camera for landscape given the richer tonal spectrum and sharpness and not so much for street

Edited by otto.f

I don't feel very moved by this announcement. A few years ago I would have jumped at it and ordered it straight away. But since then some things have changed. The sensors of my M9 and MM are suspect and their resale value is wretched. I have moved to medium format and large format film, and can laugh at the resolution of the new Monochrom. I have a freezer full of film for my M7, MP, various 120 cameras, 4x5 and 10x8 cameras. I also have leukemia and consequently my future is uncertain (OK, it's certain, only when is uncertain). I think I'll use up my film stocks and then, if I get that far, I shall worry about what to do next.

Chris

• Like 2

Agreed, I suppose I object to the effort devoted to developing it. But then again, it's probably the same as the tech in the M240. Nonetheless, something I've never used on M240 or M240P (but paid for).

The M240 was priced at launch the same as the M9, and the M246 is $500 less than the original MM.  So your disabled video was essentially free.  BTW, I disabled mine on the M as soon as the FW permitted.

Jeff

I don't feel very moved by this announcement. A few years ago I would have jumped at it and ordered it straight away. But since then some things have changed. The sensors of my M9 and MM are suspect and their resale value is wretched. I have moved to medium format and large format film, and can laugh at the resolution of the new Monochrom. I have a freezer full of film for my M7, MP, various 120 cameras, 4x5 and 10x8 cameras. I also have leukemia and consequently my future is uncertain (OK, it's certain, only when is uncertain). I think I'll use up my film stocks and then, if I get that far, I shall worry about what to do next.

Chris

I'm very sorry to hear that, Chris.

• Like 4

Happens all the time, Leica is judged on name and not on facts... In fact, their products cost a lot of money, but are not expensive.

Looks like a great camera. Let's sell my car and buy one. O forgot I don't own a car.  :D

Chris

I wish you good light and many beautiful moments for as long as you can!

• Like 3