New: Leica M Monochrom (Type 246) Official Announcement

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I notice that the new Monochrom comes with a free copy Lightroom, not the Silver Efex Pro which came with the MM1. Presumable that's because, since Nik was acquired by Google, Silver Efex is no longer available as a stand alone product ?  Shame though, I like Silver Efex, especially when used in combination with LR.

• Like 1

I do not see mention anywhere if it takes an electronic viewfinder? I guess it does - I hope it is the same as the 2.36MPixel Oly VF-4 rather than the 1.4MPixel that the M240 uses. With the higher resolution viewfinder, I can focus without magnifying the image which makes my R lenses really useful.

I do not see mention anywhere if it takes an electronic viewfinder? I guess it does - I hope it is the same as the 2.36MPixel Oly VF-4 rather than the 1.4MPixel that the M240 uses. With the higher resolution viewfinder, I can focus without magnifying the image which makes my R lenses really useful.

They have a picture of its rear side on their site; the socket is there, so it presumably takes an EVF. As they always do everything the same way, I rather think they took a run-of-the-mill M-P (Typ 240) and just replaced the sensor and the firmware. Also, I rather suspect that they would anounce a new EVF if they had one.

• Like 1

They have a picture of its rear side on their site; the socket is there, so it presumably takes an EVF. As they always do everything the same way, I rather think they took a run-of-the-mill M-P (Typ 240) and just replaced the sensor and the firmware. Also, I rather suspect that they would anounce a new EVF if they had one.

Sadly, it still only takes the old EVF2. My one disappointment, though I suppose it means I've made a saving as the one EVF does both cameras.

• Like 4

Cheaper then the original Monochrom no?

Not really...In Euros - and the camera is made in Europe- it is more expensive. A year ago it would have cost about 9000 $...

7200 € / 7450 US$

Andreas

With a euro/dollar conversion rate that low, the guys in marketing and sales are really pessimistic; and that euro price evidently incorporates an inflation of the euro.

Nevertheless it is a nice new tool; the few pictures I saw show the blue sensitivity is up (skies) and the pictures show a nice long gradation with infinite details. Worth it? I think so. Almost one month of work. 

Thinking about that price point "one month work"; when I bought my first M2, it was the same price - about a month of work. So that 'price development' does not look too bad - apart from the fact I did move up considerably myself.

Now I notice the difference in occupations. In 1964 it was a month of work for a civil servant. Now it's as far as I know two/three months of work for a civil servant.  ;)

Not really...In Euros - and the camera is made in Europe- it is more expensive. A year ago it would have cost about 9000 $...

$500 cheaper in US than original MM…about time the dollar helped us.

I'll definitely test this one against the M for b/w printing….maybe with a new Epson P800.

Jeff

• Like 2

Sadly, it still only takes the old EVF2. My one disappointment, though I suppose it means I've made a saving as the one EVF does both cameras.

Thanks Philipp and Jennifer. I see from Jono's review that it does take an EVF and it is not the same as for the T which would have been ideal as I like that one.

• Like 1

I notice that the new Monochrom comes with a free copy Lightroom, not the Silver Efex Pro which came with the MM1. Presumable that's because, since Nik was acquired by Google, Silver Efex is no longer available as a stand alone product ? Shame though, I like Silver Efex, especially when used in combination with LR.

The whole Nik package doesn't cost the world, and as you like it, you probably already have it anyways? ;)

Personally I'd rather had Leica not include any software license at all and sell the camera for less.

Already had Lightroom when I bought the M240.

If I would buy the new Monochrom (but really want to test first), I'd have three licenses of LR. For what?

I don't feel very moved by this announcement. A few years ago I would have jumped at it and ordered it straight away. But since then some things have changed. The sensors of my M9 and MM are suspect and their resale value is wretched. I have moved to medium format and large format film, and can laugh at the resolution of the new Monochrom. I have a freezer full of film for my M7, MP, various 120 cameras, 4x5 and 10x8 cameras. I also have leukemia and consequently my future is uncertain (OK, it's certain, only when is uncertain). I think I'll use up my film stocks and then, if I get that far, I shall worry about what to do next.

Chris

Wishing you a speedy recovery, Chris. As a good friend of mine once remarked; we are all in the same queue. Let's wish us all good light and wonderful photographs of our time.

Mike.

The whole Nik package doesn't cost the world, and as you like it, you probably already have it anyways? ;)

I do and I have no use for another package, but that's beside the point, it's a matter of principal ;)

Personally I'd rather had Leica not include any software license at all and sell the camera for less.

Agreed, but it ain't going to happen, is it?

Already had Lightroom when I bought the M240.

Me too.

If I would buy the new Monochrom (but really want to test first), I'd have three licenses of LR. For what?

When my Monochrom II arrives next week I'll have licenses to install LR6 on 8 computers ......... all supposing I had 8 computers upon which to install it ;) . I suppose I'll just keep them for a LR7 release.

Edited by Jennifer

I did not know that it was possible to use a Lr6 license to use it to a future Lr 7. Isn't that another license?

When my Monochrom II arrives next week I'll have licenses to install LR6 on 8 computers ......... all supposing I had 8 computers upon which to install it ;) . I suppose I'll just keep them for a LR7 release.

I did not know that it was possible to use a Lr6 license to use it to a future Lr 7. Isn't that another license?

I think you get the version current at the time you use your option, not the version at the date you bought the camera.

We all knew this was coming, an M240 with the same sensor modified for B and W. I wonder if someone like Don Goldberg or perhaps a tech with digital sensor experience can pick up an M240 used and turn it into a M246. EDIT, I think I found the answer:

http://petapixel.com/2012/06/23/unscrambling-the-egg-the-leica-m9-monochrom/

Edited by jamriman

Some serious thinking to do now. I love my original Monochrom but the thought of using the same batteries, charger and EVF is appealing. Also, that wonderful shutter on the 240.

Only saw the announcement about half an hour ago but I've already nearly convinced myself I'm going to go for it.

Regards, Tom

I think you get the version current at the time you use your option, not the version at the date you bought the camera.

Really, I thought the version was coupled at the " box " so a M9 get's a Lr 5, An M240 a Lr 6 etc... But I'm not sure. So If you wait I wonder if you get a Lr 7 or 8?