New: Leica M Monochrom (Type 246) Official Announcement

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Three years after the first Leica M Monochrom today the new Leica M Monochrom Type 246 is introduced. As its predecessor it’s a pure black-and-white camera, with a much higher resolution and image quality by dropping the color information.

Leica promises enhanced image quality and better performance by a newly developed BW image sensor and the Maestro image processor from the Leica M240.

The key features at a glance:

• 24 MP CMOS black-and-white sensor in 35mm size
  • Maestro image processor
  • Live View
  • Full HD Video with 25p (MotionJPEG)
  • 2GB buffer memory
  • Picture series with 3 frames/s, max 30 pictures
  • Sensitivity range ISO 320 – 25.000

» All details about the new Leica M Monochrom

» First Review of the new Leica M Monochrom by Jono 
» Sample Images Leica M Monochrom in full resolution

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7

Excellent - but no doubt its price will be ridiculous - one lives in hope that one day Leica cease chasing those with fat wallets (but I doubt it)...

Well, that is what Leica has built on in recent years...snob appeal. Leica is no longer a reporters cam. I use it as such, but I am crazy...for manual controls. So I have to pay ridiculous $ for manual controls. I like shooting M43 but I can't adjust them on the fly like my Leica or Fuji.  If I had an affordable alternative I'd use it over Leica. But if your a hobbyist and like fine fit and finish...Leica is it. The Rolex of cams.

• Like 3

Leica is to be commended! I would have guessed  $9000 US.

Happens all the time, Leica is judged on name and not on facts... In fact, their products cost a lot of money, but are not expensive.

• Like 4

Agree that it only seems to be Leica who can make a full-frame digital camera with simple and satisfying manual controls. I don't know why that might be, but these days, a lack of complexity seems to really cost.

This looks to be a nice upgrade. As an owner of the original MM (which I adore), and with no plans to get rid of it, I just hope the batteries will continue to be available long into the future. 

What a fine review, and great photos, by Jono! The tonal gradations look wonderful--as expected. As to the price: it is $500 less than the M-P, yet with the same monitor. That seems very reasonable, given all the development that went into the new project.

• Like 2

What a fine review, and great photos, by Jono! The tonal gradations look wonderful--as expected. As to the price: it is $500 less than the M-P, yet with the same monitor. That seems very reasonable, given all the development that went into the new project.

There is nothing to applaud about regarding the price. It is merely due to the drop of the EUR vs US$.

I suspect M Monochrom users with corroded sensors will be offered a trade-in.

This camera follows the pattern of the M9 and M Monochrom: the latter based on the M9, maximum re-use of the hardware platform and extended the sales life. The new Monochrom 246 is based on the M240, will extend that hardware platform as a new color M makes a debut. Leica seems to follow a 3 year cycle, so a new Color camera should be coming before the end of 2015- if the upgrade cycle continues. I would have preferred seeing the new platform debut with both color and monochrome versions offered, get the two in sync with each other.

• Like 1

I'll be happy to test one for a week ! Shot w/ M240 & 50mm cron

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by PeterP
  • Like 3

I suspect M Monochrom users with corroded sensors will be offered a trade-in.

This camera follows the pattern of the M9 and M Monochrom: the latter based on the M9, maximum re-use of the hardware platform and extended the sales life. The new Monochrom 246 is based on the M240, will extend that hardware platform as a new color M makes a debut. Leica seems to follow a 3 year cycle, so a new Color camera should be coming before the end of 2015- if the upgrade cycle continues. I would have preferred seeing the new platform debut with both color and monochrome versions offered, get the two in sync with each other.

Great post would loved to have seen the two launched together I'm tempted by the new Monochrom one set of batteries and able to use the wides with the evf etc.

Have to save the pennies first though.

Edited by suey11
  • Like 1