Transferability of Leica-related LR update?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have two unused LR licenses from the M240 and D-Lux. A friend would like to upgrade to LR6 and I was wondering how the upgrade works. I see when I login to the Leica owner's area and input my TAN, that it would send me a license for LR. Is this number somehow linked to my name or could someone else use it?

Thanks for any clarification.

Martin

I have the same question (I think).  An unused LR licence entitlement from my M 240.

The upgrade to LR 6 is a paid upgrade.  Wondering if, instead, I could utilise the voucher that came with the M 240 to download the latest version?

I have the same question (I think).  An unused LR licence entitlement from my M 240.

The upgrade to LR 6 is a paid upgrade.  Wondering if, instead, I could utilise the voucher that came with the M 240 to download the latest version?

Not quite the same question, Robert. I think the answer to your question is "yes". The Leica license for LR is a full version so you would just replace your current version with a full version of the latest LR. 

My question is whether I can pass my free LR license on to someone else, who doesn't have a Leica.

Cheers

Martin

I see.  I should have thought the licence is yours to do with as you see fit.  I remember many years ago a landmark court case here in Britain that established licences could be transferred to new owners by their current owners without reference to the licensor.

It seems my question is more likely answered in the LR6 thread where several members are in the process of redeeming TANs for LR6 rather than LR5.  I will monitor their experience and probably go the same route. 

Adobe do seem to be getting rather difficult to deal with though.  We are in to diminishing returns: most of what they have added in the last few major releases is stuff I do not need.  Yet I need to stay current for the little bits I do need.  They are making it clear to everyone that they will not support the software unless they are getting income for it.  :rolleyes:   Not a great way to maintain customer loyalty.