Why the Leitz 22228 'R' to 'M' adaptor vignettes

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Last Saturday Leica Society colleagues at TLS AGM Weekend experienced vignetting when using my Leitz 800mm Telyt S lens on their M240 cameras via a Leitz 22228 'R' to 'M' adaptor. The 22228 was originally designed in the 1970s for adapting 'R' lenses to a Leicina cine camera but is not suitable for FF digital use because of its relatively narrow internal diameter which inevitably causes vignetting.  I was unaware of this fact and had only previously used the adaptor on the Leica T APS format. 

After discovering the vignetting problem I sourced a s/h Novoflex LEM/LER adaptor which arrived this morning - whence the two adaptors were compared side by side and their internal diameters scribed with a pencil and measured:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The Novoflex LEM/LER adaptor has a 38mm internal rear diameter compared to 32mm for the Leitz 22228 - hence the vignetting problem.

Best wishes

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 1

Yes, but it was great with the R 21mm f3.4 Super Angulon (for the Leicaflex mk I and II) on my M5 in the '80s after modifying the mount to stop the meter arm raising! The rear of the lens protruded through!

John

Edited by jpattison

I have the current Leica R/M adapter and vignettes with my 400/6.8 Telyt-V and 14167 V-R adapter, but not with the Novoflex.  I haven't measured to compare their I/D but I can see clearly the Leica has a thicker internal baffle, which would account for the vignetting. 

Edited by bocaburger
  • Like 1