RGB color or Adobe RGB? spot, or center weight focus?

I browsing through the menu, found that color profile can be either one, which one you use? my two questions in one tread, which focus mode you using I am using spyder pro to adjust my monitor color. Thanks

This setting only applies to JPEG files. You can ignore it if you only shoot RAW.

The Adobe RGB color space has a wider color gamut than sRGB, hence better colors. But the problem is some software (including some web browsers) expects sRGB and incorrectly displays Adobe RGB.

On Internet sites, sRGB is more compatible, at the cost of worse colors (but it really depends on the photo) on the wide color gamut displays every serious photographer should use.

• Like 2

If you need to ask, choose sRGB. Both colour spaces contain the same number of colours, just not the same colours. There are some hues of green and blue that fall within the Adobe RGB gamut but cannot be captured exactly in an sRGB colour space. On the other hand, within its gamut sRGB has slightly finer distinctions between hues. If you care a lot about colour rendition you would use a raw workflow in which case the camera’s colour space setting was immaterial anyway.

Edited by mjh
  • Like 2

Most monitors are not able to render Adobe RGB. Use Adobe RGB only if you have a fully colour managed workflow.

If you shoot raw and use Lightroom the question does not arise.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For a color managed work flow,  raw wins .  Color space makes no difference.

If not color managed,  sRGB and JPEG . 

Everything will be color managed in the near future, therefore shooting sRGB JPEG is not a wise choice (and has several other downsides due to JPEG compression).

If needed, a raw image can be converted to sRGB JPEG in a couple seconds. The classical use-case is images for a web site, for which you need to resize and save a copy of the image; therefore the colorspace castration step is "free".

You also asked about spot vs centre weighted, but you described these as focusing modes.  In fact they're METERING modes (in the ADVANCED as opposed to the CLASSIC mode).  I've found that it's usually better (the camera is more responsive) to stick with CLASSIC metering.  The only times I've used advanced have been for very difficult light conditions, when the spot mode has been useful, 

FOCUS options are either to use the Range Finder (BEST for almost all purposes) or to use Contrast Detection when using the EVF.

Hope this helps

Best

• Like 1