Does this M8 grip will be good for M9?

elvispreasley

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello to everyone! Today, searching some stuff on ebay, I occasionally found this surprisedly cheap and good looking Leica M8 grip (please refer to the attached pictures). Anyway, I got curious about next thing: in all of the listenings was mentioned, that this grip is for Leica M8 camera, but there was nothing written about M9! I thought the M8 and M9 grips should me absolutely identical...What do you think about it: does this grip will be good for M9 or it just really for M8 only?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

In principle, if it goes on the M8, is going on M9 !

How much does it cost?

Henry

That's what I thought exactly! But not even in one listenings about this grip, were mentioned about M9 and I don't know why? Only M8 is written in listening title and description.

Price for this grip - is just around 30 USD

That's what I thought exactly! But not even in one listenings about this grip, were mentioned about M9 and I don't know why? Only M8 is written in listening title and description.

Price for this grip - is just around 30 USD

I have 2 Leica grips and sometimes I invert it on the 2 cameras.

I think it's good but I don't like the form of your grip

There are used Leica grip cheaper than new

Henry

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Today I finally received the grip, that was mentioned in this topic. First of all I need to say that it fits my M9 just PERFECT!

Build quality of the grip is simply amazing - feeling much more expensive, that its real price) The only one "issue" with my particular sample, that I can not take out the bottom cover when grip is attached, cause the lower part of the grip is a bit more thick that it should be - that's why it prevents to move the cover from the small "lock" on the bottom right corner. Doesn't bothering me at all - now I'm gonna start using mini USB port for transferring the files, instead of the card reader)  There could be, that this "issue" is affecting only my sample of the grip, cause all of them are machine build and sometimes small mistakes could be present, as with all Chinese stuff)

Anyway I personally can highly recommend this accessory for purchasing, cause it's price is very far from Leica stuff "ridiculousness" and it definitely improves handling of the camera, giving the owner a chance to hold it in one hand with maximum comfort!

Here is a few pictures of my M9 with attached grip (sorry for quality of the photos - cell phone)))

p.s: you can see in one of the photos small part of cork, sticked inside of the grip handle - it's not the "factory solution", this place is going completely empty, so I decide to make this small "upgrade", just to prevent the storing of the dust inside)    

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

In order to be a bit clearer for me, are you saying that the lock on the bottom of grip will not spin? Or are you saying that after the lock spins, the grip cannot be removed?

Sorry for my english) Lock itself is spinning well, but the small pin on the right side of the camera bottom, which is holding the bottom cover, gets blocked by the bottom part of the grip 9which is a bit more thicker, that it should be). So after you spinning the lock and trying to remove the bottom cover - it doesn't go out, cause the metal pin is blocked. Clear enough?)  

BTW, you still can take out the bottom cover, but first you have to unscrew the grip. The thing is: the construction of the grip is made for using it without detaching from the camera, but my particular sample has this a little bit sad issue.

Edited by elvispreasley

It looks useful as an L-plate and as you note the price is very appealing! 

Why do you use the grip itself? For stability when you have the camera at your eye?

With my Sony a7r (and other bodies before it), I've always liked to hang the camera from the pads of the fingers on my right hand when I'm not using it. It makes for an almost weightless feeling but is still very stable. I always (always!) have some kind of wrist strap attached when I do this, though I've never dropped the camera, it does give a necessary insurance against that (or someone grabbing the camera from my hand.)

Would love to find something to rest the pads of my fingers of similarly for M9 - it's too flat to hold in this way but this style of grip looks very large for this function - I assume you use it primarily for handheld comfort with the camera at the eye. Maybe I should try some simple stick on rubber feet from an electrical store. It almost needs a Thumbie v2 - the Grippie?

It looks useful as an L-plate and as you note the price is very appealing! 

Why do you use the grip itself? For stability when you have the camera at your eye?

I bought this grip only for one reason - to carry my M9 comfortable, during the shooting time, with help of one hand. As  you can see - I'm using wrist strap, so usually I'm holding the camera only with one hand, during the shooting time (using another hand only for "pulling a trigger"))).

• Like 1