Hahnemühle Baryta print: Help wanted

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I will have a portrait printed, approximately 40x60 cm, but have never had a negative printed on Hahnemühle FineArt Baryta paper before, so i'm seeking a little help.

The portrait was shot with Summicron-M 35 mm f/2 ASPH with Tri-X @400 ISO. I have prepared three versions in Photoshop to print, but i'm doubting which would turn out best on paper:

1. Unedited, relatively flat

2. Photoshopped, medium contrast

3. Photoshopped, medium-high contrast

Personally i prefer more contrast and i like option 3 best, but since i have not printed on the specific paper before, i'm wondering how the paper will cope with high contrast.

Do you have any experience with Hahnemühle FineArt Baryta? If yes, i could email you the three versions and let you help me decide, since the picture shall not be posted or available on the internet

Thanks in advance.

I've used this paper, but not recently.  Inkjet paper doesn't change the contrast of your image.  It's not like traditional darkroom paper where the choice of a contrast grade had a big effect on the developed image.  I would print the version that looks best on screen, assuming you have a good screen.  The unedited flat version is unlikely to print well, and you mentioned you prefer more contrast anyway.  Part of printing is trial and error, and part of it is personal taste.

• Like 1

Sorry, i didn't know about this category until right now, where this question maybe is more appropriate:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/forum/55-digital-post-processing-forum/

Digital Post Processing Forum

This forum is about digitally processing your Leica photos: B&W conversion, enhancing contrast, sharpening, printing, etc.
Edited by BjarniM

It's a great paper. Have you downloaded and used the paper's Profile from Hahnemuhle? Also are you printing from Lightroom? If you are you can add a bit of impact in the print module.

No, i haven't downloaded the profile yet. I'm sending a scanned copy of the negative to a lab, which prints it.

No, i haven't downloaded the profile yet. I'm sending a scanned copy of the negative to a lab, which prints it.

What you see on your monitor should be what you get. It does depend on your monitor being calibrated etc.

Steve

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You really need that ICC Profile from the paper you use. 

The most probable outcome however is that the print will be too dark. Postprocess your scanned negative in a dimlit room to reduce this fat chance. You cannot do without testprints, just as in the darkroom, so asking here is really a long detour, which is not meant unfriendly, just technical. 

• Like 1