It's a condor.

Cuthbert

Ok this is the uncropped version:

29a3no.jpg

As you can see I was pretty far away from the target that was moving pretty fast, so I checked the light, closed the diaphragm about f5.6, set up the focus ring to hyperfocal, then shot and prayed it came in focus.

Always from the same show Bob the owl:

11rf76e.jpg

And with another camera an impressive sea eagle:

35cikoz.jpg

You appreciate the size and power of these birds just when you see them close to humans.

• Like 2

Thank you, also for the additional images. Much appreciated!

I like the un-cropped image better.  Impressive sea eagle image.

I understand that but I feel the subject is somehow "lost" in the blurred sea of people watching...I still think that with a longer lens it would have worked better but that day I was on the hunt for some architecture shots in a castle, and I found this falconry show.

Here there's another shot of an unknown eagle (golden eagle perhaps?) took over the "shoulders":

fynxvb.jpg

The handlers were very quick at taking the birds away from the spectators because I assume they are a little unpredictable and very powerful, they look like they can open the throat of a human very easily if provoked.

• Like 1

This is an incredibly difficult subject, I think you have done really well! I found your shots fascinating...particularly the sea eagle.

Since you like it here there are other pics of the eagle landing...unfortunately in this case I slightly miscalculated the DOF and the eagle came out slightly soft...or perhaps it was simply moving too fast, I like the condor shot more:

120h00j.jpg

212wmip.jpg

121wkcz.jpg

Look at the size of the wings!

• Like 1