Leitz 800mm Telyt-S pics

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Took my Leitz 6.3/800mm Telyt S /R9/DMR to Caldecott Rd Stilton near Peterborough yesterday to rehearse for The Leica Society AGM demo next Saturday when members will have an opportunity to try the lens.  Strong winds on the large lens caused 'shake' and 'wobble' but played the % and managed to obtain some results. My friend and Leica Society colleague John Dodkins was with me using his Canon 5D Mk III.  Not sure how these pics will be displayed as still getting used to the new forum and have not quite figured out how to caption images - and assume limited to 1000kb so actual photos taken with the lens are shown separately. The four following images show JD using the lens and the two areas where we focused on the main subjects … looking across fields to the BT Concrete Tower and part of adjacent 580ft Moreborne transmitter mast … and also looking towards Yaxley/Farcet/Whittlesey. All pics taken early evening with low Sun 19.00-19.30 hrs . The last image is a crop of the third; the communication tower and mast are visible in the second image. 

The 800mm Telyt S and R9/DMR are supported on a Berlebach wooden tripod gifted with a Jobo Black Widow gimbal - plus a Manfrotto 359 lens support clamped to the tripod and screwed into the lens' front tripod bush. 

Reasonably happy with the results but plan to try again on a less windy day 

One anomaly noticed when using a Chinese R to EOS adaptor: When used with lenses having 90º clicked mounts, the cheapo Chinese jobbys seldom align properly necessitating re-levelling the whole apparatus .. whereas  Novoflex adaptors always align properly.

Best wishes

dunk

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 5

And these are the results: 

Farcet Peterborough from Stilton … McCain factory sign visible

Image taken at f8

• Like 4

BT Concrete Tower and adjacent Moreborne Radio Mast - near Peterborough

Image taken at f8 … sensor dust noted . 

• Like 2

Me in 'hooligan back to front cap mode' (as an aid to focusing)  showing the lens and its support in more detail. Note the lens' 'gunsight' finder. Apologies for lack of teeth - dental implant failed through 'overload' last week and lost the bridgework; work in progress for my implantologist.

• Like 2

I'd like to use the 800mm Telyt after a good downpour to clear the atmospheric dust 

dunk

• Like 6

The Berlebach wooden tripod was not 'gifted' … spellchecker typo … s/b 'fitted' ;)

All the reconnaissance pics taken with Leica X1 … angle of view 35mm FF equivalent … which should put main subject distances into perspective

dunk 

• Like 3

Not sure how these pics will be displayed as still getting used to the new forum and have not quite figured out how to caption images - and assume limited to 1000kb

Dunk - fascinating subject, thanks for posting.

The new forum FAQ and in particular this entry and the one after it might make it somewhat clearer, I hope.

• Like 1

Dunk,  many thanks.  Very interesting and impressive.

I found shooting very early or late in the day also avoids the worst air turbulence.

Your long distance shots look excellent and were taken at the right time of day.

BTW, how heavy is your entire setup?  TIA.

Thank you for the positive comments. Regarding the total weight - it's very heavy and needs a car - plus a trolley if the observing site is off-road. I'll weigh everything asap. and advise exact figure. The Manfrotto 359 additional support helps prevent 'wobble' but in low light (especially with the ISO limited DMR) use of an additional tripod would be prudent - either fore or aft. Yesterday I did not use the 1.4 and 2x APO extenders so will utilise them asap. The Berlebach tripod is not TTBOMK a current model. A friend bought the exact same s/h tripod from a Bulgarian Ebay dealer who shipped it in pieces to reduce the volume. He seems to have a never ending supply of used Berlebach 'pods. I assembled the tripod for my friend and was so impressed by the quality that decided to buy one myself - and from the same dealer.  The tripod has its own dedicated and massive pan and tilt head which might be more stable than the Jobo Black Widow - I need to compare them. The tripod includes a levelling 'ball head' - which makes accurate levelling a doddle - there was no problem ensuring good verticals. 

dunk

• Like 1

A smaller communications tower by the roadside approx 200 yards form the camera position - taken with the X1 … and close-up image of the same tower taken with 800mm Telyt S

The lens is approx 33 years old but is capable of recording very fine detail; i'm wondering how the later Apo Telyt R modular system's equivalent 800mm compares and if it has as good glass? 

Also wondering how a modern compact superzoom would compare? I'll probably try and borrow one and try a comparison test.

dunk

• Like 5

Another view of distant horizon taken with the X1 which includes Peterborough City Centre (centre frame) and also the village of Yaxley (with its church tower just visible on horizon RHS)  … followed by a photos of: Peterborough City Centre and the West Front of Cathedral … and an image including St Peter's Church Yaxley … both taken with the 800mm Telyt S from the field entrance when the light was fading … hence relatively long 1/15sec shutter speed to keep within the DMR's ISO 200 setting.

Best wishes

dunk

• Like 5

Fantastic work. I have only seen this lens in pictures. Didn't Leica give you a Volkswagen when you bought this lens at one point or am I thinking of some other product. That is a great looking tripod I might add.  

• Like 1

Fantastic work. I have only seen this lens in pictures. Didn't Leica give you a Volkswagen when you bought this lens at one point or am I thinking of some other product. That is a great looking tripod I might add.  

Only in the USA as an incentive to buy the lens … the complimentary car was the original VW Fox … not the recently discontinued Fox. The tripod is superb and so is its pan and tilt head (not shown). 

Looking forward to a good shower of rain so that afterwards can ascertain how the lens performs in dust free air.

Best wishes

dunk

Dunk,  many thanks.  Very interesting and impressive.

I found shooting very early or late in the day also avoids the worst air turbulence.

Your long distance shots look excellent and were taken at the right time of day.

BTW, how heavy is your entire setup?  TIA.

The 800mm Telyt S lens in its case weighs 14Kilos - but there are also some additional accessories in the case; the tripod in its case weighs 10 Kilos; my Billingham bag with R9/DMR and accessories weighs 4 Kilos. Total weight 28 Kilos - but can be reduced by not using the 800mm Telyt S dedicated aluminium case. I have a large rucksack which will accommodate the modular lens, camera and accessories but carrying same plus the tripod in its bag is not really practical unless a short hop from the car. I have a trolley which enables walking with the kit fairly practical.

Best wishes

dunk

• Like 2

The DMR's 1.37 crop factor gives the 800mm Telyt-S an effective focal length of 1096mm. 

dunk

And with the 2x Apo 2192 !! ( the first one is with a 280 )

• Like 4

Part of a distant pylon photographed today using the 800mm and DMR with a 2x APO extender … but the wind was blowing very strongly thus were also some unsharp photos.

Best wishes

dunk

• Like 1