New Monochrome to be Announced Next Week (End of April)

ivohula

Based on the M240, better, faster, newer, bigger, higher ISO, more dynamic range, bigger buffer, probably cheaper than the original price of the first one (around $7,000), live view, will sell in smaller numbers than the original one, mostly to upgraders.

Of course, I have no actual knowledge about any of this, just my speculation, but let's see how many I got right.

Wishful thinking : Leica M type 246 - no LCD display

The only advantages of no LCD that I can think of are (1.) no time wasted chimping, (2.) if someone demands that you delete the photo you just made of them, you can show them the back of the camera and say that you can't delete it and (3.) you don't have an LCD to crap out and replace down the road.

Am I missing something?  Are there other advantages to no LCD, or is this just an odd Leica fad that will soon pass?

(JMHO, but any photographer worth his/her salt does not chimp in the middle of shooting and miss the chance to make other images to begin with).

Edited by Carlos Danger

btw Leicarumors are reporting that it won't be announced tomorrow, but within 30-60 days

http://leicarumors.com/2015/04/29/the-new-leica-m-monochrom-typ-246-camera-will-not-be-announced-tomorrow.aspx/

The usual pinch of salt etc....

I've been "reliably" informed from sources outside the UK that it will be tomorrow. Order placed sight unseen.

I've been "reliably" informed from sources outside the UK that it will be tomorrow. Order placed sight unseen.

I hope you're right. It would be nice to see something new come along, even though I have no intention of ordering one

I hope you're right. It would be nice to see something new come along, even though I have no intention of ordering one

And you wouldn't either if your Monochrome CCD would suffer from corrosion and had the chance of a good trade-in?

And you wouldn't either if your Monochrome CCD would suffer from corrosion and had the chance of a good trade-in?

I don't own a Monochrome, but if I did I would wait for some well balanced independent reviews before deciding whether or not to order it. I don't need to be an early adopter, especially given Leica's unfortunate recent track record with new product introductions

• Like 1

Early or late adopter, doesn't matter in my view. The latest products from Leica are universally superb (talking about image quality), what is not superb is the current turn-around service time for the M-line - and one would hope that this will improve over time, soon. I can testify that the service turn-around for the S-line is still top notch. My totally biased opinion is to order the new MM today, before Summer comes (and associated photo opportunities) and be the one writing the first "balanced independent review". I am excited and can't wait until I take the new MM to Transylvania in August...(three guys, two big dogs, a Land Rover Defender, full car fridge of gin/tonic/beer, travel humidor with some Cohibas and a new Monochrom in the bag - can life be any better?). :)

• Like 2

Early or late adopter, doesn't matter in my view. The latest products from Leica are universally superb (talking about image quality), what is not superb is the current turn-around service time for the M-line - and one would hope that this will improve over time, soon. I can testify that the service turn-around for the S-line is still top notch. My totally biased opinion is to order the new MM today, before Summer comes (and associated photo opportunities) and be the one writing the first "balanced independent review". I am excited and can't wait until I take the new MM to Transylvania in August...(three guys, two big dogs, a Land Rover Defender, full car fridge of gin/tonic/beer, travel humidor with some Cohibas and a new Monochrom in the bag - can life be any better?). :)

IF it's announced tomorrow August delivery is a push.

IF it's announced tomorrow August delivery is a push.

Push? Maybe in Solms era, production should be faster with Wetzlar facility up and running, besides how big is the difference between M typ 240 and MM equivalent; Bayer filter and different firmware.

it would be interesting to see if new MM is paired with new Summilux 28mm as old MM was paired with APO Summicron 50mm at launch.

Edited by mmradman

I'm excited to see new reviews and images from the new Monochrom, and for my old Monochrom to become the cult classic I always knew it would be.  I probably won't upgrade as I am still exploring the capabilities and limitations of the original Monochrom, and hope to continue doing for many years to come.

As for the sensor, Leica says they'll repair or replace and that they will eventually have a solution.  That's good enough for me.  

I feel the same way about my M-E by the way.  Just bought it two-weeks-ago, and could easily have had a used M240 for the same price.  I'm happy with the look and feel of the CCD M, have tons of batteries, and the new ones don't offer anything I want bad enough to justify a second platform or a move to a new platform.

I see these the same as my M5, products that I plan on using for the long haul.  Maybe in two or three generations I'll get something newer, but the 240 generation did nothing to take away the amazing image quality of the M9 generation.

• Like 5