How do you guys travel your leicas?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Im curious to know how everyone caries their leicas for everyday commuting, as well as the travlers on the forum how they go abroad with their cameras ?

Im traveling to Peru this year an want to brnig my CL and M4-P and am looking for ways to properly bring them without feeling too overemcumbered - as well as new way to carry my M4-P around

Thanks!

• Like 4

I use old military sling packs and a grotty old, faded straight pack. From what I have read here I would not be surprised to be sent back when checking into any European customs. So anti-stylist. In my heart I admire the European Murses (Men's purses), but here in the USA I'd be hit-up by all the wrong types.

• Like 1

Please, there are enough bag threads on this forum already to keep you busy reading for the next month.

I suggest this one http://us.louisvuitton.com/eng-us/products/camera-bag-damier-graphite-000416

That, and old boot laces as straps, tied securely to the lugs.

Edited by earleygallery

I have a small black $20 Sony fabric padded camera case that is just big enough for my camera, meter and about 4 rolls of film.  This comes with me every day and on all my trips.  It is light, small and does the trick.

• Like 1

For bicycle touring I just tucked my CL in a handlebar bag, and it never failed me. My M4/M6 usually travelled in a soft Benser pouch, as I enjoy travel more without a lot of gear; so one lens on the camera and a small wide in the pocket. 

• Like 1

I black tape all insignia of the Leica on the body. I bought a cheap Tamrac shoulder bag. Took the bag outside and beat it against an old brick wall until it looks completely like crap but not torn. I am ready to go and travel. I use this setup until I get totally depressed at how shitty the whole thing looks. Then I pull out one of my really nice bags and take the tape off. This goes round and round many times a year. Looking for a good shrink at this point. LOL.

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

How do you manage your gear at home? I suggest if you have worked that out, just keep doing it when you travel! It's no different, except that you are sleeping somewhere else. Carrying cameras anywhere is basically the same, home or away.

I have travelled my camera kit from India to Morocco to Egypt to Antarctica, ALL using the same kit I use at home. If it works, why change it?

• Like 3

^ that would depend a lot on the extensiveness of your outfit, the breadth of your preferred subject matter, and your willingness to sacrifice shots you lack the appropriate gear for.    Personally I prefer to own an extensive range of gear and tailor it to each specific event or destination(s).  In all cases I aim for the least gear possible and put it in the smallest bag possible, because I have yet to arrive home from a trip and say "next time I'm going to bring a bigger, heavier bag of camera gear."

• Like 3

Nice collection, do you prefer the M5 or M4-P and why?

If I've to shoot colour definitely the M5, it's probably the most sophisticated Leica, their last attempt to compete with the professional Canons and Nikons of that era.

For B&W I usually don't meter so the humble M4-P is enough for the job, it's smaller and lighter than the M3 and attracts less attention.

If I had to have a single Leica I'll definitely keep the M5, tough.

Edited by Cuthbert

I black tape all insignia of the Leica on the body. I bought a cheap Tamrac shoulder bag. Took the bag outside and beat it against an old brick wall until it looks completely like crap but not torn. I am ready to go and travel. I use this setup until I get totally depressed at how shitty the whole thing looks. Then I pull out one of my really nice bags and take the tape off. This goes round and round many times a year. Looking for a good shrink at this point. LOL.

With very bad luck, your shrink would be a Leica lover.

Despite extensive formal classification, all psychiatric disorders really fall into just three categories:

mood disorders, thought disorders, and loosers  :rolleyes:.

Sorry, but after reading that you clearly fall into the third category  ;) . 

Edited by MarkP

If I've to shoot colour definitely the M5, it's probably the most sophisticated Leica, their last attempt to compete with the professional Canons and Nikons of that era.

For B&W I usually don't meter so the humble M4-P is enough for the job, it's smaller and lighter than the M3 and attracts less attention.

If I had to have a single Leica I'll definitely keep the M5, tough.

Sorry for hijacking this thread,  but what do you do regarding batteries for the light meter? 

Are the correct ones still available.

Not the mercury batteries, but you can get Wein zinc replacements which I find last about five minutes, or better but more expensive you can buy an adapter (seems to be about £25 in the UK) that adjusts the voltage and allows you to use a modern 386 cell.

Steve

• Like 1

Sorry for hijacking this thread,  but what do you do regarding batteries for the light meter? 

It works with a standard V625 battery like all the other cameras that used the old PX625 I own: I've seen on the net crazy theories about these cameras that can't be used (especially economical SLR like the Canon FTB) today because of it, or Leica fanatics spending a lot of money for adapters that are not really necessary.

Being all old camera the changes are the lightmeter needs a recalibration and if there is a difference in reading he can easily recalibrate with modern silver oxide or alkaline batteries.

• Like 1

Not the mercury batteries, but you can get Wein zinc replacements which I find last about five minutes, or better but more expensive you can buy an adapter (seems to be about £25 in the UK) that adjusts the voltage and allows you to use a modern 386 cell.

Steve

It works with a standard V625 battery like all the other cameras that used the old PX625 I own: I've seen on the net crazy theories about these cameras that can't be used (especially economical SLR like the Canon FTB) today because of it, or Leica fanatics spending a lot of money for adapters that are not really necessary.

Being all old camera the changes are the lightmeter needs a recalibration and if there is a difference in reading he can easily recalibrate with modern silver oxide or alkaline batteries.

Thanks for that Steve and Cuthbert!

^ that would depend a lot on the extensiveness of your outfit, the breadth of your preferred subject matter, and your willingness to sacrifice shots you lack the appropriate gear for.    Personally I prefer to own an extensive range of gear and tailor it to each specific event or destination(s).  In all cases I aim for the least gear possible and put it in the smallest bag possible, because I have yet to arrive home from a trip and say "next time I'm going to bring a bigger, heavier bag of camera gear."

Exactly what I do.

Allows for great versatility and satisfies GAS  :)

Just going to Rome for a few days. To get there: small Tamrac Rally Micro, tucked away in my backpack. To stay there: no dedicated bag at all, just the camera round my neck or wrist and a small Eastpack Youngster messenger bag for the ipad (google maps!), a few rolls of film and the option to stow the camera away with no further protection. I don't hide the red spot, even use a bright red Artisan Artist belt. Have had interested thieves around, as soon as they see the film advance lever they disappear. No risk, no fun... and less gear and bags possible.