Carrying & organizing new M240 + Learning curve

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I bought a M-240 a month ago and am going through a steep learning curve before I head off to Paris for a month, when I'll have some time on my own and then will be in a week long workshop with Peter Turnley.  I'm more comfortable with my x-vario which I'll take as well as the M240 and 2 lenses, but I want to focus on overcoming the learning curve with the M-240.  I'm a woman and the camera bags I'm seeing don't mesh so well with carrying a handbag, so I'm trying to figure out how to organize my gear.  Bought a little Fogg bag on line, but it is really too small for the m-240 and it is fat and bulky.  On past trips I've used a little Leica -C or Digilux which I would just keep around my neck all day tucked under a scarf and could slip in my handbag if needed.  The M is a more profound object, bulkier and heavier to say nothing of more precious (did insure it).  My lenses are a 35mm and 50mm and they are bulky too.  My thought is to keep my personal stuff, $$, credit card, phone etc in a fanny pack and use a leather backpack for camera gear.  I got a neoprene case for the 240 and invested in a better neck strap.  I've been practicing 'wearing' the M whenever I go out, even when driving and can see the advantage to that, but how about some feedback on how those of you with more experience handle these logistical and learning issues.  

I've loved each Leica as I climb up the ladder, and each one teaches me something.  The new M-240 makes 6.  Had never heard of the GAS syndrome before logging on to photo internet blogs and forums, but I sure do have a case of it.  Am committed to keep exploring and learning, cannot explain how this fascinates and tugs at me.

? Pros and cons of carrying 2 lenses?  

? Pros and cons of clear lens covers?

? Pros and cons of carrying 2 camera? I did insure them

? Pros and cons of shifting back and forth between cameras and lenses and between editing software

? is it a good idea to black out the red dot and logo?

? What to do with the lens cap when shooting?  they say not to put it in a pocket because of lint, but don't want to loose it.  (I now tuck it into my bra, but that is not always easy to do...).  Do you plan your clothes for the pockets they provide?

Then there is the issue of editing software.  I'm getting one on one tutorials with Lightroom and do some pfutzing around with it, and can say the same thing for the M, but in my daily photo work, which is photoing &posting for my website, tried the 240 and lightroom but I have reverted to using the x-vario and iPhoto as it is quicker and for now am getting better results. 

Thanks for any feed back on any of these burning issues!

? Pros and cons of carrying 2 lenses?

Two?  LOL.  I rarely carry less than 3, usually 4.  I bring what I feel I will need for the occasion. 45 years of photography and 40 with Leica has made that a quick decision every time.  Cons are if you aren't experienced, sometimes you can miss many shots trying to decide which lens to use.  And of course there's the weight and bulk.  The image files from the M240 stand up to some serious cropping, so I would tend to go with wider lenses rather than longer.  Personal preference.

? Pros and cons of clear lens covers?

You mean UV filters for lens protection?  I have one on every lens, have for as long as I can remember.  Leica lenses are very expensive to repair, and the coatings are excellent but not invulnerable.  A grain of sand unseen and dragged around with a cleaning cloth can scratch.  Buyers of used Leica lenses tend to be a picky lot, so coating marks make it harder to resell them, and subtracts significantly from the price.  Even many people who swear against UV filters shy away from a lens if it has even the slightest coating mark.  Not necessariliy because they care, but because they know it can make a lens difficult to resell.  Nowadays the multicoated UV or protective filters from B+W or Heliopan are so good at transmitting light and avoiding flare/ghosts/reflections that I have yet to see any evidence of them in my images.  And the coatings on them are strong enough I can wipe a lens with breath and my shirttail if I'm in a hurry or forgot my microfiber cloth.  I have no cons.

? Pros and cons of carrying 2 camera? I did insure them

Pros with digital is it lets you shoot with different lenses without having to switch them.  With film there was the advantage also of being able to shoot color and b&w, or different ISO's, but that's a minor one with digital as it's pretty easy and fast to change those parameters, or even adjust them in PP.   Of course a second identical body is the ideal backup as well.  Cons are cost, weight and neeing a larger bag. 

? Pros and cons of shifting back and forth between cameras and lenses and between editing software

You mean between different brands and types of cameras, or between different identical bodies?  The former gets confusing, especially with digital where the menus are different.  The latter is not a problem for me.  I'm still using CS2, it does everything I need.  I have LR but rarely ever use it.  Then again I shoot mainly jpeg.  If like me you use an older version of CS or some other editing software that doesn't support DNG, then a second program that supports DNG is needed.

? is it a good idea to black out the red dot and logo?

I have never done that.  I figure almost anybody who knows what a Leica is and what it costs can recognize it even without the logo. 

? What to do with the lens cap when shooting?  they say not to put it in a pocket because of lint, but don't want to loose it.  (I now tuck it into my bra, but that is not always easy to do...).  Do you plan your clothes for the pockets they provide?

I'm a guy, don't wear a bra and plan my clothes based on what's closest to my hand when I walk into the closet.  I always keep my lens cap in my left front pants pocket so I know where it is.  Never yet had any lint from it.

Then there is the issue of editing software.  I'm getting one on one tutorials with Lightroom and do some pfutzing around with it, and can say the same thing for the M, but in my daily photo work, which is photoing &posting for my website, tried the 240 and lightroom but I have reverted to using the x-vario and iPhoto as it is quicker and for now am getting better results.

For web use I would think shooting jpegs and editing with Elements or an older version of CS would be plenty sufficient.  I only use LR if and when I shoot DNG.

• Like 2

I'm sure you'll receive plenty of advice on bags and travel strategies from this forum!

For a very comfortable, relatively unnoticeable bag for an M and lenses, plus city gear (wallet, passport, phone, keys, etc), I suggest you look at the Bare Bones Evolution bag (http://www.indianhillimageworks.com/catalog/camera-bags/the-bare-bones-bag-evolution-bbb-e), designed by a photographer to accommodate the Leica system. It's a simple mini-messenger bag. No logos, relatively anonymous. Inside is lightly padded, and even includes padded shelves for stacking lenses if you wish. Constructed like a bike messenger bag, easy to slide to your front or back to access it or get it out of the way as you walk or shoot. Has Velcro fastener on the flap, which you can silence with a piece of gaffer tape if it bothers you. This bag is practical and simple, rather than stylish. They are made to order, but mine only took a week or so, here in the US.  

In my experience, a backpack is an invitation to pick-pockets in an urban environment.

• Like 1

Hello and welcome. :) I’m sure you’ll get much pleasure from your new gear.

One bit of advice: lock away your other cameras and bond with the M exclusively for a few months.

As for lenses, of course you can carry a few, it is an interchangeable lens camera after all.

Although 35 and 50 are certainly different in character, they are too close together to make a meaningful two-lens set imo. 28 and 50 or 35and 75 would give more versatility. My standard travel set is 18,24,35 and 80-200, all in the small Leica Billingham. Other people may have different preferences, it is very personal.

Protective filters: by all means, if you prefer using them. Note that the time-honoured UV filters have been superseded by the B&W 007 “protective” filters. Far stronger, superior coating, extra-thin for less image degradation. 

2 cameras? Yes, if they are of the same level, for utmost security. Or as complementary cameras for different purposes. Or identical ones with different lenses for fast shooting. But to start with: see above.

Postprocessing: I prefer Photoshop CC, but most users prefer Lightroom for ease of use. Get the newest version; image quality has improved again. If you are a book person, like me, a good starting point are the books by Scott Kelby, despite his awful jokes. If you are more into e-learning, Adobe offers excellent tutorials on their site. Don’t fall into the JPG trap. Superficially it appears easier, but as you progress you’ll find that it takes less effort and is far easier and quicker to get good results from DNG and the quality will be superior.

Adobe is still industry standard and although other programs have their following the only program of comparable quality I know is Capture One.

There is no real rationale to black out the logo. If somebody recognizes it they will be savvy enough to recognize a camera without it as well.  Stealth is the way you handle your camera and the form factor of your gear, not a dot in any colour. So personal taste rules.

I you use protective filters you do not need lens caps. Keep them in a drawer at home; they are expensive to lose.

Any more questions? Fire away. And read the forum, including the DAQ at the top of this subforum. Not all applies to the M 240, but you’ll find a wealth of information.

• Like 2

I'm with JAAPV on locking away the other camera - your learning curve will shorten considerably if you shoot with the M(240) exclusively for awhile.

Two lenses - absolutely!  When traveling I bring all my lenses for the M(240) - the SEM18mm, Summicron 35mm, Noctilux 50mm, Summicron 75mm, Telyt-R APO 280mmf/4 -  and in one ONA backpack, though I don't bring everything with me everyday when I arrive. Instead, I sort out what I'm expecting and bring the M with 2 of the lenses and an extra battery in a smaller, messenger-type ONA bag.  If it's evening/night, it's always the Noctilux on the camera exclusively.  Bottom line is that you don't to be halfway around the world and wish you'd brought the lens you left home - bring what you've got.

I have never used "protective" filters, though I often worry about the precious lenses being exposed. I put caps in back pocket and don;t worry about lint or dust.

I advise the use of Lightroom - watch the free "Kost" youtube videos referred to you in a previous post.  IMHO it's the best of several good choices.

I've never worried about the red dot  - thieves who know Leica, know Leica - I've insured the cameras and lenses and, aside from being conscious of my surroundings, that's all I want to do about security,

Get out and shoot - enjoy your magnificent camera and lenses and above all, have fun!

• Like 2

I bought a M-240 a month ago and am going through a steep learning curve before I head off to Paris for a month, when I'll have some time on my own and then will be in a week long workshop with Peter Turnley.

I turn the lens cap onto the body cap and keep it as a unit in my camera bag, a Leica M Billingham. Placing them together prevents dirt and dust from getting into either.

Edited by fotografr
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Buy a pair of UV or protection filters for the lenses and don't bother with the lens caps at all. Just use the camera instead of trying to develop a labyrinthine strategy around it. And why you'd put the camera into a back pack where you can't see who's hands are getting into it I can't imagine. Best would be a small sling bag, so you can spread the weight better on your back most of the time, but it is able to slide round and become a shoulder bag for when you need your lenses or when you want to keep your hand on it in crowds. 

Steve

• Like 1

This is quite nice..

http://www.onabags.com/store/shoulder-bags/the-capri.html?color=antique-cognac

I use the Ona Roma insert a lot. It fits perfectly in any bag, there's room for the M and an extra lens. It's waxy, very nice and well made. There are a lot of ugly camera bags out there I suggest using the Roma in your own.

Best

Lucy

I mostly-95%-use a 50mm Summicron. If you want a wide I'd carry a 28 or even a 20. 35mm is too close to a 50 for me. A short tele can be useful as well. If you're shooting on the street I'd take the wide. Paris streets tend to be narrow. 

There is a lot to be said for using just one lens. It makes you pay attention to framing and composition.  

If you use a bag on your body I'd recommend a Crumpler 5 Million. Easy to pull around to the front and easy to get the gear out of. If you set the bag down to get your stuff a Domke works better.

I'm currently using a Domke F-5 with a 240, 50 Summicron, 90 Elmarit and a Nikkor 20mm. I use a 21mm bright line and scale focus the 20. I don't use the electronic viewfinder.

And I carry a Rolleiflex 3.5F as well.

I'm mildly disabled and with with some difficulty but this outfit is easy for me to carry and deal with.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Bag choice is fraught with variables such as the assortment of gear to be carried and the shooting locale, plus personal taste.  Rarely is there an overwhelming consensus, otherwise there wouldn't be as many bags out there.  Then there is the issue of carrying a purse, plus the difference in male-female upper body anatomy (for security reasons, carrying a bag with the strap running crosswise is a prudent idea).  All of which makes me feel ill-suited to make a definitive recommendation.  You could carry a purse plus a camera bag, one on each side.  That might feel better balanced than one larger, heavier bag for both.  I really don't know as I've never tried it.   What I can say is, I never yet came back from shooting saying "next time I'm going to take a bigger, heavier kit" ;)  To me nothing detracts more from the creative act of photography than lugging around a shoulder-killing bag of gear, or one with so much depth and/or so many pockets that it's a chore locating and fishing out what I need at a given moment.   

So like many people, I tend to have a bunch of bags, and choose the smallest, most convenient one that will hold a minimally-essential kit for the planned destination.  The general criteria I have are that it must be able to keep my kit secure and dry.  Security and weather do vary from place to place, but I like to play it safe.  I happen to be a fan of Billingham's and own a number of them. The Domke's I like are the F5XB and J803 satchel, as both are somewhat more difficult for a pickpocket to slip a hand into than the F2 and F6 which I also own but have since been relegated to storage duty.  

I also have several photo backpacks in different sizes, but only use them for nature outings.  Having to take it off and on to get at gear is a pain in crowded or confined areas, or if there isn't a clean, dry place to set it down.  Plus I don't have eyes behind my head. 

• Like 1

Regarding camera theft prevention, I have one of these and highly recommend this bag - http://www.pacsafe.com/camsafe-v16-camera-slingpack.html ; if this bag doesn't do it for you, Pacsafe has many other options, such as http://www.pacsafe.com/camera-laptop/camera-packs.html

As for your questions -

? Pros and cons of carrying 2 lenses?  A 28mm or 35mm paired with a 50mm will cover the vast majority of your street photography needs.  IMHO, two M lenses is not a burdensome load to carry all day, if need be; after all, we're talking M lenses here, not a pair of 600mm f/4 Nikkors.

? Pros and cons of clear lens covers?  Putting a UV filter on your lenses is a good idea - it allows you to put your lens cap in your camera bag and forget about it.  You lens is protected but ready to shoot when an unexpected subject presents itself.  Use only the best UV filters on your M lenses - that would be B+W MRC nano UV filters http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?N=10905879&InitialSearch=yes&sts=pi

? Pros and cons of carrying 2 camera? I did insure them  Carry one, secure the other in your hotel's safe deposit boxes until when/if you need it.

? Pros and cons of shifting back and forth between cameras and lenses and between editing software  If you can discipline yourself to use one lens most of the time, you will get many more images than if you are constantly fiddling around changing lenses.  Another approach would be to shoot with your wide lens for 2-4 hours, then switch to your 50mm for 2-4 hours.  The goal here is to not spend more time meddling with lens changes and fiddling with gear than you are spending making images.  As for software, pick what you are accustomed to and stick with that.  There's no benefit in making things more complicated than necessary.

? is it a good idea to black out the red dot and logo?  I would not worry about doing this.  If you do though, be sure to use black electrician's tape, not black paint or a permanent marker, neither of which can be undone later.  If the area you are shooting in makes you feel the need to cover the Leica logo to be safe from thieves and thugs, you would not be safe with any camera and probably should not be there to begin with.  Pairs should be mostly safe, and Messr. Turnley will want to keep you and his other students safe while at his workshop.  He will steer you clear of any dangerous parts of the city, if he is worth his salt as a workshop leader (and I suspect he is).

? What to do with the lens cap when shooting?  they say not to put it in a pocket because of lint, but don't want to loose it.  (I now tuck it into my bra, but that is not always easy to do...).  Do you plan your clothes for the pockets they provide?  Put your lens cap in your camera bag and forget it.  You don't need your lens since you have your B+W MRC nano UV filters on your lens - correct?  However, if you want to carry your lens cap in a pocket, just put it in a ziploc plastic bag; this will keep dust and lint out of it.

Hope the above will be helpful...

Edited by Carlos Danger
  • Like 2

Camera/lens/bag:

I get more enjoyment by simply walking around with one camera one lens (28-mostly or 35) and not worrying about different FOV of longer wider lens. If I intend to shoot people (as my wife or other family member) then for some time I switch to 50 or 90mm (whatever I am carrying as second lens). I never try to keep switching back and forth. Once a particular lens is on camera, it remains there for some time. This approach frees me from the pressure of taking photos. The second lens goes in a lens pouch (Zing) in normal bag/backpack/laptop bag whatever I happen to be carrying. If I have to put my camera in the bag then I wrap it in neoprene case and simply drop it in my bag. Not a scratch in last three years (M9 and then M240).

Of course, it changes if my intention is to spend time photographing. Then I carry additional wide (15) and one long (135) just in case. These also go in individual lens pouch and dropped in usual bag/backpack. Now I have 80-200 Vario and I am thinking of taking it out instead of 90,135. 

Lens filter:

I have been going back and forth. As Canon shooter I never used filter on my L lenses. When I sold the whole set, I do not think it made a difference to resale value. With Leica I started with filter but after few flares (in corner case, I accept) I have stopped using it. See the flare in 28cron ASPH pic here (in afterthought I don't mind the flares filling the otherwise sterile landscape in this picture). :)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jmahto/17229303332/

I hear resale arguments but do not worry about $200 in next 5 years.

Lens cap:
I carry one empty lens pouch (Zing) for lens caps, extra battery etc. This goes in whatever bag/backpack I am carrying. 

My whole philosophy is to enjoy the outing and not worry about photo taking. Very similar to taking photos with iPhone. See something interesting, lift the camera, take picture, forget about it till you come home and download to computer. Enjoy. :)

Edited by jmahto

Bags.... if you are particular about what bag you carry, look at a Crumpler Haven, which fits inside whatever (non-camera) bag you happen to want to carry that day. I have a small one that holds just the M240.

Don't feel you must carry more than one lens, just because it is interchangeable. Interchangeable means you can pick your body and lens combination for the day; you don't have to carry them all with you.

Covering the red dot. The day I see a statistical analysis of bag thefts based on more than one person's experience is the day I will take notice of advice about stealth camera bags and the red dot. I cover mine with black tape, but just to reduce questions about the camera (which it does), not for security.

Carrying more than one camera: I didn't change from a bulky SLR to the smaller M only to double up on bulk and weight. I have two other cameras (Ricoh GRD4 and Olympus OM-D EM5ii) but I don't carry them around together. But YMMV.

Where to put the lens cap. There's a whole thread waiting to be written on the topic. But (as an Englishman), I will not put mine in the front of my pants nor (as a guy) will I put it in my bra. And that's all I have to say on the matter.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

"Protective filters: by all means, if you prefer using them. Note that the time-honoured UV filters have been superseded by the B&W 007 “protective” filters. Far stronger, superior coating, extra-thin for less image degradation." 

This is very interesting, i'd never heard about this filter before.  Do you think the B&W 007 degrades the image quality of Leica lenses at all (if looking critically at 100%), or is the filter's impact essentially not noticeable at all?

Edited by Jon Warwick
  • Like 1

Given that UV filters do not do harm significantly except in the most critical circumstances, I doubt that one would be able to prove any degradation at all for these specialized filters, despite its theoretical presence.

• Like 1

What jaapv said.

If you have a UV filter on your lens and you have directional light falling directly on the filter, there is the potential for flare, reflections or other image degradation.  Other than that scenario, I have my doubts that any of us here would be able to tell the difference between two identical images where one was shot with a UV filter and one without.  While I have no empirical evidence to offer as proof, that is what I suspect.

Edited by Carlos Danger
  • Like 1

One piece of advice I have is not to overthink the gear.   If you want, take the camera and the 2 lenses you have, which means you don't need a big bag.  Just practice with the M and you will do fine.   I sometimes go out with just one lens (walking around it is usually a 35mm but sometimes a 50) and there is a certain discipline in using one lens that can be useful.   It also means I do not need a bag at all.  You can stuff some extra cards and a battery in a pocket -- you said you carry a handbag, so put them in there.  It is liberating not to carry a bag full of gear and you learn to see what the lens is seeing and how it draws.  That doesn't mean I don't go out sometimes with a bag full of lenses, it just means there is no one way.  You just have to find your own.   As for the specifics.  I don't go out with two cameras unless it is "mission critical" and the second would be solely as a backup.   I don't, for example, wear two cameras with two different lenses at the same time.  Lens cap goes in my pocket and stays there.  I use UV or clear filters and I use a lens hood as much to protect the lens as to help with flare.  Re the red dot, I have never covered it but I am now using a M-P and don't have to.   Finally, on editing, for reasons having to do with my many years old file system, I use Photoshop CC and Bridge rather than LR.  I think it is quite important to settle on one system that you are comfortable with.  I personally would not use the Apple editor even though I am an exclusive Apple user.  Apple does not pay attention to the nuances of editing the way Adobe does (or Capture One).  I have a friend who does architectural work and swears by DXO;  there are others.   

• Like 1

Just a couple tiny things:

> Pros and cons of carrying 2 lenses?  

If you are new to a particular camera it may be helpful to stick with one lens and one focal distance. It sort of gets you used to the characteristics and operation of the camera and kind of programs in the composition of that focal distance and how it will look when you press the shutter into your brain. The M initially may be a slower camera to use until you master it which I've been told takes about a year and a half. If you have a deeper familiarity with the compositional layout of a particular focal distance then you can spend more of your time in the process of working with the camera to maneuver yourself and the camera's controls into the configuration where the camera will capture the shot as you see it in your mind's eye. Early on, so much of any camera and in particular the M is how to manipulate the camera into capturing the shot that you want.

The M is big enough and heavy enough in comparison to other cameras that you have mentioned that you probably want to minimize gear until you get used to it. The size and space economy of the Leica often referred to by rangefinder enthusiasts are kind of working the other direction for you. You're moving up from a compact whereas that is generally in comparison to a DSLR. The great thing is that there is a huge amount that you can do with a 50 or 35 in a city like Paris. Yeah, there may be things that you won't be able to get without a wider lens or a tele lens but with just a 50 or 35, I'm sure that you can come back from Paris with plenty of shots to keep you editing for quite some time. The size and weight advantage that you get is you have a professional grade full frame camera and you don't need to carry anything else. 

What I carry is:

M with 50mm Summilux 

White balance card for when things are just completely whacked and I want a reference.

A polarization filter in its case for reflections and sometimes I stick the lens cap in the case on the filter.

Lens pen which has a fine brush and a cleaning pad.

Sometime a lens cloth too - better for when there is mist or rain. When it is real rain - I also bring a gallon ziplock to stick the whole camera in.

Since I don't use live view except when I really need it, the M has good enough battery life that I have yet to even buy a spare battery and so I don't even bother carrying around a spare battery. On the 2 trips that I've taken the M so far, I've just charged at home at night.

So the size weight advantage that I get is that I don't carry anything else. Yes it limits my options but

> Pros and cons of clear lens covers?

One saved my front element just last week -- maybe actually the whole lens so yeah I'm a bit of a fan.

They allow me to clean the lens more frequently and with impunity. I kind of consider them disposible. I haven't done this with a leica lens yet but in really bad conditions (burning man), I even put black tape around them and the lens to help seal it.

A downside with point sources of light can be reflections. Coated UV filters are better but can still have problems. Chimp just a little when you are in low light and if you are having problems, take it off and stick it back on later. They may add some distortion but better ones have less.

• Like 1