Leica en Provence

thighslapper

I did a Leica USA workshop two or three years ago.  Never again.  Ironically, the price was a bargain.  However, when dinner was scheduled during sunset on the Pacific Coast I decided this was not something I wanted to repeat.  The workshop centered on food.  It was poorly planned.  We stayed in one location and had to drive back and forth each day rather than working our way down the coast.  Our visit to a photo gallery one afternoon lasted 45 minutes--hardly worth the effort.

My philosophy on these trips/workshops has evolved.  Unless someone has special access or is actually going to provide me some training, I don't do workshops anymore.  If I want to photograph the South of France, I can get there by myself.  I am no longer interested in listening to introductory lectures on the rule of thirds or how to import photos using Bridge.

There's 'only' seven rooms - book now to avoid disappointment! 

Whilst it all sounds very nice - and fattening - I feel the itinerary is not quite in line with the 'premium hipster' market that Leica seem to be targeting these days. 

Actually it sounds a tad dull. Maybe if they'd chosen Dagenham and environs it would have been more interesting…..

There's 'only' seven rooms - book now to avoid disappointment! 

Whilst it all sounds very nice - and fattening - I feel the itinerary is not quite in line with the 'premium hipster' market that Leica seem to be targeting these days. 

Actually it sounds a tad dull. Maybe if they'd chosen Dagenham and environs it would have been more interesting…..

East Tilbury more interesting...old Bata factory (which I photographed for the development council) and associated houses plus nice greasy spoon cafe. 

You need to look carefully at the programs for these trips.  Caveat Emptor applies here.  Some are very luxurious and geared to the comfort of the affluent and some are geared to actually shooting and critique.  I did a Leica Akadamie in Maine a few years ago that was based in a motel.  We went out in the mornings before dawn for sunrises; we had some evenings out for sunsets and spent a good deal of time in Acadia National park and also went to some interesting other locations.   There were critiques most evenings with most people sharing a few of their best with the group and the instructor.   The cost was less than 1/2 of the listed price for the Provence trip and I think it was worthwhile.   Not all are alike.  

• Like 1