Vulcanite repair

I have two M3's that have a small amount of vulcanite loss. As a collector, is it advisable to have this repaired (no one has the vulcanite to repair this but has material that is close) or will it detract from the value of the cameras.

http://www.crrluton.co.uk/

Camera Repairs & Restoration

5 Downview, 751 Dunstable Road,

Luton LU4 0HP, England

tel: +44 (0) 1582 570395

email: leica.luton@virgin.net

If the cameras have broken/missing vulcanite then I doubt that they are of sufficient quality/condition to be of interest to collectors, unless there's something particularly special about them such as being owned/used by HCB, in which case originality - even if shabby - will be more important! 

I have two M3's that have a small amount of vulcanite loss. As a collector, is it advisable to have this repaired (no one has the vulcanite to repair this but has material that is close) or will it detract from the value of the cameras.

For restoration I use 'MILLIPUT' Black on little areas with good succes.

check on the web

• Like 3

Black 'Milliput' (available on Ebay, you may need search 'worldwide') is definitely the very best and easiest repair medium. It is a two part resin putty, you just mix a bit up, spread it in the chip (I super glue around the edges of the chip first), then with a wetted cocktail stick (or similar) gently press a replica vulcanite pattern into the surface. You can have many attempts at perfection as it takes a few hours to set. When dry, and if you have been neat and tidy, you can hardly tell there is a repair.

Steve

• 1 month later...

Vulcanite is rubber heat fused (vulcanised" to the body before assembly.  

Vulcanite is vulcanized rubber, however, at least until M4 it is glued. Leitz used Terosol Fluid Spezial, not available anymore, which was resin type of glue.