Leica M4-P Slow Shutter Speed Failure

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all, this is my first time posting. I did a cursory search and found similar topics but not quite one with the exact problem I'm having. When I bought my M4-P used a few months ago, the slow shutter speed setting all fired a little slow, and at inconsistent rates. In particular 1 second was all over the place in terms of speed and 1/8 sec fired faster than 1/15.  I read the forums and learned the escapement probably needed to be cleaned and figured I'd get around to taking to someone eventually.  Well after a few months of standard use (I'm generally pretty gentle with my equipment but they get a light bump every now and then), the slow shutter speeds (1 - 1/15) all started firing at about the same rate and the "whirrr" of the escapement stopped.  It was replaced with a short rattling sound.  So I bought tools to remove the top plate and rangefinder to reveal the escapement.  The forward most black arm of the escapement that engages the large gears just bounces back and forth (its the cause of the rattling sound) and the gears quickly spin back into place when firing the shutter, rather than slowly according to the shutter speed setting.  I have zero experience with this but the hair spring seems to be in the right place.  Anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem might be and how I can fix it?  I'm sure its right in front of my face and I just don't know how to recognize it.  I'll post photos later on when I get the chance as well. Thanks in advance

Tj

Edited by /Tj
  • Like 4

Hi all, this is my first time posting. I did a cursory search and found similar topics but not quite one with the exact problem I'm having. When I bought my M4-P used a few months ago, the slow shutter speed setting all fired a little slow, and at inconsistent rates. In particular 1 second was all over the place in terms of speed and 1/8 sec fired faster than 1/15.  I read the forums and learned the escapement probably needed to be cleaned and figured I'd get around to taking to someone eventually.  Well after a few months of standard use (I'm generally pretty gentle with my equipment but they get a light bump every now and then), the slow shutter speeds (1 - 1/15) all started firing at about the same rate and the "whirrr" of the escapement stopped.  It was replaced with a short rattling sound.  So I bought tools to remove the top plate and rangefinder to reveal the escapement.  The forward most black arm of the escapement that engages the large gears just bounces back and forth (its the cause of the rattling sound) and the gears quickly spin back into place when firing the shutter, rather than slowly according to the shutter speed setting.  I have zero experience with this but the hair spring seems to be in the right place.  Anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem might be and how I can fix it?  I'm sure its right in front of my face and I just don't know how to recognize it.  I'll post photos later on when I get the chance as well. Thanks in advance

Tj

Welcome to the Forum.

Do you have experience in servicing/repairing this type of camera? If not (and your post suggests you do not); stop right now. Do not go any further.

Take everything to one of the Service people suggested on this site which is in your area.

Rgds, David