Filters & vignetting

Stein K S

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi

i have never been using filters much... only UVas for protection. But when recently buying an ND filter for my 35 Lux (for min DOF purposes) it struck me that there must a limit to how much "filter build" the different lenses can take before vignetting becomes an issue... Are there any "rules of thumb" or any orher overview/guide available? Even if I hardly can see the use of three filters, my immediate impression is that the UVa and the ND already seems to be "at the limit"... and would wider lenses be even more prone to vignet with two filters only...

So out of curiosity, thanks for all feedback  :)

regards, Stein 

I think there isn't any rule of thumb... not to speak of general written docs... the vignetting induced by filters depends on so many factors (filter mount, lens mount - above all, and focal) that nothing general can be computed... is not a case that on large format pro cameras, with their huge variety of lenses of the most different mounts and front glass position, the filters ar tipically not screwed in front of the lens, but are much larger, square, and positioned in front with proper accessories.

Maybe for some lenses the instruction leaflets do detail how many filters (only from the lens'manufacturer, by logic) you can stack... but personally I do not remember to have read any

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 1

Add as many at once as you can. Screw the vignette.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1