Digilux 1 on SD card

Advertisement (gone after registration)

HI all,

Can anyone suggest why this happened? 

Yesterday I lent my Digilux 1 to a friend (who hadn't used the camera before) to take same shots at a classic car rally.  The camera was set on Auto.  When we had a look at the results, some had been saved as both JPEGs and TIFF files, with the same id number.

Now I always thought that one only had the choice of JPEG or TIFF (unlike on my M9) and that TIFF wasn't an option on Auto anyway.

One thing that she did mention was that often on taking the shot she kept the button depressed until the red LED had stopped flashing.

Any suggestions why some, but not all, got stored twice?

Susie

Hi Susie,

When you move the dial on the camera from "AUTO" to "P" and back is there a nice crisp click? In "AUTO" the Digilux 1 only shoots JPEGs in two qualities. In "P,A,T,M" modes, with quality set to TIFF. You will get both a JPEG and a TIFF image with the same number. Also, it takes a little time for the camera to store a TIFF. While it does, you'll see the red light lit on the viewfinder and a red flashing dot under the number of images you have left on the screen.

It sounds to me like switch under Das Belichtungsbertriebsarten-Wahlrad (the exposure mode setting dial) may be a little sticky and the camera was in between "AUTO" and "P" mode.

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your reply. 

That could well be it.  Certainly while Kate was using the camera the front dial got knocked onto the Macro setting for a few shots (which came out slightly blurred), and so the top dial could have got moved too!

The P setting is set to record as a TIFF, but I didn't realise that a JPEG is normally then saved at the same time.

Best wishes,

Susie

Glad that I could help.

I'm a big fan of the lil' Digilux 1. Mine has given me a lot of years of enjoyment. I'd be more then happy to try to answer any question about the camera.

Qick tips:

A 2GB SD card is as large a the camera will take. Thats room for 160 TIFFs. More then enough.

Get a 18609 E49 filter adapter. It does intrude in to the viewfinder. But you can protect that nice hunk of Leica spec glass with a UV filter.

So far, for me. The Lenmar brand replacement batteries work well.

• Like 1