Leica support for Safari Classics

jimofnyc

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Can Leica explain why it aids Safari Classics http://www.safariclassics.net/ by advertising on their website when Safari Classics advocates and plans hunting safaris for the purpose of killing elephants and other large animals purely for sport?

See the news story link: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/hunter-killed-charging-elephant-hunting-sport-article-1.2189884

• Like 4

Shame on them.

I hope that Leica would argue that it's better to encourage people to shoot game with a camera rather than a gun, but they do make optics specifically for those that like to use the latter. 

I can appreciate that what people do with Leica's optics is beyond Leica's ability to control but I am saddened that Leica advertises on web sites that facilitate the killing of these dwindling and magnificent creatures.

Jim

• Like 1

Agreed. Hope they remove their ads from this particular website.

While I think hunting is a great hobby and Leica probably produces some of the finest rifle scopes, there are limits that shouldn't be crossed. Hunting at it's noblest form is hunting for food ie. moose or ducks or what ever, but in the end you eat your catch.

It's utterly impossible to understand why people hunt just for the fun of killing animals, let alone animals nearly extinct.

That being said, would be nice to sometime participate in a photo safari. That's equal to catch&release in fishing.

Leica, please pull back your support from this safari site.

//Juha

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It seems like "whack-a mole".  Inserted in this thread there is now a link to "Hunting in Namibia" featuring hunting safaris for "big game: Elephant, lion, rhino, buffalo, cheetah, leopard, giraffe."  I guess this human behavior cannot be suppressed so Leica choses to capitalize upon it... Sigh.